Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
Can you focus on the game and not on gay shit in it? It's 2021 so SADLY we won't get a game without modern agenda from any major dev. Even hecking indies going poz damn it.
we are fighting for the future of waffle civilization here

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Can you focus on the game and not on gay shit in it? It's 2021 so SADLY we won't get a game without modern agenda from any major dev. Even hecking indies going poz damn it.
"just focus on the game"
*tranny makeout scene in the first act of WotT*
lmao

It wasn't me who brought up trannies this time though. Ulfhednar brought it up when he called disguise self a "tranny spell" for a quick gotcha.

And I wouldn't even have mentioned trannies itt at all if Wrath of the Tranny fans weren't spamming here constantly. Because thankfully, despite how butch the dark elf villainess in part one is, there aren't any trannies in BG3.

Delterius

Arcane
Larian seems to have scrapped that after recording voice lines from eight different VAs for the PC.
what.gif

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I will try to bring the discussion again to BG3.

IF you could add one, just ONE class to the game, present in previous D&D edition to be adapted into, which one would you add?

I? Red Wizard of Thay. I know that this prestige class in 3.5E and doesn't exists in 5E but IMO Larian could homebrew it in a way that makes sense in 5E. Sadly the unique games which allow you to play as one are NWN1 + PRC mod and NWN2. Is silly in both games how you in mid of Neverwinter can become a Red Wizard, without ever stepping a foot in the Red Wizard's academy. Would be cool if that class involves a sidequest in chapter 2(and only after that quest, your wizard gets the title and his classes change). And yes, Thay had to become present in BG3 if this happens. Would be silly to have a lv 1 Red Wizard of Thay as to even take the test to join their academy, you need AT LEAST tier 3 spells and rank 8 spellcraft in 3.5E meaning that the average student in their academy is probably arond lv 8~11. And even the lowest graduated Red Wizard probably is lv 12.

zAwSOzy.png

Last edited:

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
IF you could add one, just ONE class to the game, present in previous D&D edition to be adapted into, which one would you add?
Kensai. It was easily my favorite class in BG2. I want something more like that version though. I think it's now a monk class kit these days?

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
3e/pf arcane trickster. Probably the most satisfying class in all of ad&d for me. Some part of "doing lots of single target damage with different components/hits," is really satisfying to me so it was really nice being able to blast away and sneak attack with it. I also find that blasters are just generally meh in 5e (warlocks don't count,) unless you abuse the broken wizard spells. Arcane trickster would fix that.

Or maybe the force missile mage, because I fucking love magic missile.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
I would love to see the 3.5 Incantrix (PrC super focused on metamagic) brought into 5E - it'll obviously be a Sorcerer Subclasses in this edition, but I think it can still work. There's just something really cool about manipulating the properties of a spell, adjusting it to suit your needs. I'm a sucker for magic systems like that.

Or maybe the force missile mage, because I fucking love magic missile.

It's not exactly the same, but there is an optimized build in 5E that kind of plays in this realm called the Nuclear Wizard (or Hex-Evoker). Hexblade 1, Evoker 10+, and Fighter 2 option (for Action Surge).

Can easily unload 600 avg damage of undodgeable magic missile damage in 1 round at level 20 (if you have a Simulacrum) - kills anything in the Monster Manual and is one of the best OHK builds in the game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I? Red Wizard of Thay. I know that this prestige class in 3.5E and doesn't exists in 5E but IMO Larian could homebrew it in a way that makes sense in 5E. Sadly the unique games which allow you to play as one are NWN1 + PRC mod and NWN2. Is silly in both games how you in mid of Neverwinter can become a Red Wizard, without ever stepping a foot in the Red Wizard's academy. Would be cool if that class involves a sidequest in chapter 2(and only after that quest, your wizard gets the title and his classes change). And yes, Thay had to become present in BG3 if this happens. Would be silly to have a lv 1 Red Wizard of Thay as to even take the test to join their academy, you need AT LEAST tier 3 spells and rank 8 spellcraft in 3.5E meaning that the average student in their academy is probably arond lv 8~11. And even the lowest graduated Red Wizard probably is lv 12.

Yeah, that would be rad if BG3 had... human wizards who wear red robes. I think the design specifications would be pretty difficult to implement though and some of the more frail fans might have a heart attack. So really, this will have to forever live in your imagination.

CodexTotalWar

Learned
It's not exactly the same, but there is an optimized build in 5E that kind of plays in this realm called the Nuclear Wizard (or Hex-Evoker). Hexblade 1, Evoker 10+, and Fighter 2 option (for Action Surge).
That's fucking sick. Praying to god that this ends up in bg3

The Hexblade isn't planned to make it into BG3 and you probably won't hit level 20 in BG3, but based on the current system implementations and just the items we have in the EA, it'll be even more powerful at every level in BG3.

Just for comparisons sake, at level 20 with a Simulacrum, you can hit 850+ damage with the BG3 system (because Haste lets you cast another spell in BG3 as of now). If we dick around with multi-classing for Quickened spell, we're looking at 1000+.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
human wizards who wear red robes

No, Red Wizards are way more than it. They have one aditional prohibited school which is a huge hindrance, but gain increased DC, magical tattoos, circle magic and there are a lot of lore behind it. I know that many features are difficult to implement.

Can easily unload 600 avg damage of undodgeable magic missile damage in 1 round at level 20 (if you have a Simulacrum) - kills anything in the Monster Manual and is one of the best OHK builds in the game.

Cool, but you will not reach lv 20 in this game. And that is not a problem. Most D&D games don't allow you to even reach close to lv 20. ToEE lv cap? 10. Dark Sun : Shattered Lands? 9. Wake of the Ravager? 15. Eye of The Beholder? 10. Eye of the BEholder 2? 12. BG1? 7~10 depending on the class(as is XP cap not lv cap and in 2E some classes lv up faster).

Cael

Arcane

zAwSOzy.png
You actually meet quite a few Red Wizards in Mask of the Betrayer, and one of your companions is a Red Wizard. You also ran around in the Red Wizard Conjuration academy. It made sense for NWN2 to have a Red Wizard PrC.

deuxhero

Arcane
Red Wizard in 5E would have to introduce the concept of banned schools, and give more powerful than average abilities to make up for that. That's extremely difficult to work given how utterly fucked 5E's balance for wizard specializations (and in general) is, and how Sorcerer already has to deal with extremely limited spells known for no comparative gain over Wizard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom