Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Heroquest boardgame and why it's so great

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
any rules you want
Uh got any suggestions?
Basically looking for a game I can use as a prelude to DnD and other stuff.
You could use pure dungeon crawling DnD.
Gloomhaven is a good dungeon crawler, but it is a bit puzzly, and its card based nature makes it very different from DnD.
I really liked Descent 1st edition and Imperial Assault, but the ruleset is very different from DnD.
I made my own version of Warhammer Quest with card sleeves, a printer, and Warhammer miniatures, and it worked well enough, but I think I prefer WHQ with a game master in adventure mode.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
any rules you want
Uh got any suggestions?
Gloomhaven is a good dungeon crawler, but it is a bit puzzly, and its card based nature makes it very different from DnD.
I really liked Descent 1st edition and Imperial Assault, but the ruleset is very different from DnD.
I made my own version of Warhammer Quest with card sleeves, a printer, and Warhammer miniatures, and it worked well enough, but I think I prefer WHQ with a game master in adventure mode.

That and those D&D board games are based on stripped down 4E D&D. Honestly, it was the best thing to come out of that rule set and some of the games aren't half bad.

any rules you want
Uh got any suggestions?

I'm right there with you on making your own reprints of board games. I looked at the new version of Heroquest. And frankly Hasbro are taking the piss with that price. I'm not as familiar with modern board games as others. But jesus christ those lads like getting fucked in the arse by board game companies. £150 or more for different bored games with only a handful of minis at best and most stuff printed on substandard card stock. These companies are having a laugh at our expense. But people just nod their heads and pay that fucking price. Heroquest is not worth 99 fuckin pounds.

So being pissed off and full of hubris, I decided to make my own Heroquest. Advanced Heroquest specifically. I'm at the inlaw's place for Christmas but when I get back I'm getting going on printing out my own version of Advanced Heroquest. I've guestimated that one roll of filament at £10 is enough for all the tiles, and a single 1L bottle of resin at £30 will get me all the minis and props. I'm probably going to spend a little extra for this designer's Heroquest STLs. Because frankly they are gorgeous and much better than the bland and overdesigned rubbish from this new version. They even have the Barbarian from the AHQ cover. Which wasn't actually in the AHQ box.

720X720-hq-barbarians.jpg

720X720-hq-dark-crusaders-up.jpg

Yes I will be printing as much in plastic as I can. Even the tiles. As cardboard loves to disintergrate around me for some reason. This will mean overall I will spend more than RRP for the new Heroquest. But I don't actually mind if it results in a board game I'd be much happier with that is actually worth the money.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
any rules you want
Uh got any suggestions?

I'm right there with you on making your own reprints of board games. I looked at the new version of Heroquest. And frankly Hasbro are taking the piss with that price. I'm not as familiar with modern board games as others. But jesus christ those lads like getting fucked in the arse by board game companies. £150 or more for different bored games with only a handful of minis at best and most stuff printed on substandard card stock. These companies are having a laugh at our expense. But people just nod their heads and pay that fucking price. Heroquest is not worth 99 fuckin pounds.

So being pissed off and full of hubris, I decided to make my own Heroquest. Advanced Heroquest specifically. I'm at the inlaw's place for Christmas but when I get back I'm getting going on printing out my own version of Advanced Heroquest. I've guestimated that one roll of filament at £10 is enough for all the tiles, and a single 1L bottle of resin at £30 will get me all the minis and props. I'm probably going to spend a little extra for this designer's Heroquest STLs. Because frankly they are gorgeous and much better than the bland and overdesigned rubbish from this new version. They even have the Barbarian from the AHQ cover. Which wasn't actually in the AHQ box.

Yes I will be printing as much in plastic as I can. Even the tiles. As cardboard loves to disintergrate around me for some reason. This will mean overall I will spend more than RRP for the new Heroquest. But I don't actually mind if it results in a board game I'd be much happier with that is actually worth the money.

Nice, here's the guy I'm subbed to on Patreon. He created every single D&D monster to date. His dragon sculpts are amazing and cover all of their age categories.

J1M

Arcane
any rules you want
Uh got any suggestions?

Reminds me of the Christmas I spent printing the Three Dragon Ante card decks because they were out of print and ebay wanted a princely sum for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom