Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mod News The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos is a total conversion mod for Gothic II set in the eastern isles

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Gothic II; The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos

The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos is an impressive-looking new total conversion mod for beloved Piranha Bytes classic Gothic II. Developed by a team of Polish modders over the past three and a half years or so, Archolos is an entirely new story set on the island of the same name in Myrtana's Eastern Archipelago, where the player character has arrived as a refugee from King Rhobar's war against the orcs. The mod includes what the developers claim is the "biggest city ever presented in the whole Gothic trilogy". The whole thing looks like a real labor of love. The launch trailer is in potato-speak, so be sure to turn on subtitles.

The Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos is a free, total conversion mod for Gothic II: Gold Edition. It features a completely new open world, improved skills systems, gameplay mechanics and complex story.

Main goal of this project is to honour one the best classic cRPG and take the die-hard fans of the original Gothic trilogy as well as new players on one more adventure in the Kingdom of Myrtana.

FEATURES

• Professional voice acting
  • Fully adhering to the lore of Gothic series
  • 60+ hours of expected playtime
  • Complex main plot with many twists and secrets to discover
  • Over 170 quests with multiple ways to complete them
  • Multidimensional characters with credible backstories and personal goals
  • Breathtaking soundtrack composed solely for the purpose of the mod
  • About 200 random events that the main character may encounter
  • New crafting system with activities, such as alchemy, cooking and magic scrolls writing
  • Rebalanced economy and items stats considering 20 years of Gothic players feedback
  • Expanded travel system with option to choose between magic teleports, boats and mercenary caravans
  • More than 100 new armors and weapons with unique visuals

Archolos is impressive enough to have merited a proper release on both Steam and GOG, free of charge of course. We might have a last minute GOTY contender on our hands.

Lorebrok

Educated
A random ass comment I read somewhere on a gothic video I found out about this yesterday. Plug and play, downloaded it, worked without hassle, could endure the polish voices (which give it charme somehow?) and Im impressed by the first 2 hours. Comparing it to gothic games all the time and these modders did a way better job at how to engage you as a player. Dialogue choices (going to cave or city), people reacting and talking to you about quests and things you did makes it feel alive. Don't know how deep it really goes though so far. If it holds this up, then we got a fine game at our hands. Impressed by the sheer will and fanboyism of some people to go to such lengths for a 20yo game. Gotta be fair, I immediately liked it but that may be cause gothic is a giant nostalgic hit for me, so Im biased af. But as a gothic appreciator it feels so good exploring a new world and just fucking around.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
A random ass comment I read somewhere on a gothic video I found out about this yesterday. Plug and play, downloaded it, worked without hassle, could endure the polish voices (which give it charme somehow?) and Im impressed by the first 2 hours. Comparing it to gothic games all the time and these modders did a way better job at how to engage you as a player. Dialogue choices (going to cave or city), people reacting and talking to you about quests and things you did makes it feel alive. Don't know how deep it really goes though so far. If it holds this up, then we got a fine game at our hands. Impressed by the sheer will and fanboyism of some people to go to such lengths for a 20yo game. Gotta be fair, I immediately liked it but that may be cause gothic is a giant nostalgic hit for me, so Im biased af. But as a gothic appreciator it feels so good exploring a new world and just fucking around.

I'm about 25 hours in and it's still maintaining the Gothic vibe almost perfectly.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
> professional voice acting
> Polish

that70s-show-kitty.gif

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
> Polish

that70s-show-kitty.gif

It's all gibberish to me, but it does sound professional. No breathy modder mics.

They're professional Polish actors with quite successful careers. Some of them even did dubbing in original Gothics.

Cezary Żak who dubs Albyn for example
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cezary_Żak

Yes yes, they're pros in the Polish sense of the term, but that just means they're given some potatoes, you know.

I'm just being an ass here. For fun and profit.
santa.png

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
From a project management standpoint, I think it's pretty impressive they were able to get this finished. From what I understand, most large mods are shitshows.

Danikas

Arcane
From a project management standpoint, I think it's pretty impressive they were able to get this finished. From what I understand, most large mods are shitshows.
The whole mod team split about 3 years ago and they started making 2 different mods Chronicles of Myrtana which already released and this one (History of Khorinis) which is in limbo.

but maybe one day History of Khorinis will release too.

Monolith

Prophet
> Polish

that70s-show-kitty.gif

It's all gibberish to me, but it does sound professional. No breathy modder mics.

They're professional Polish actors with quite successful careers. Some of them even did dubbing in original Gothics.

That's quite impressive. How did they get Cezary Zak? He's done it free of charge?

Alphons

Cipher
> Polish

that70s-show-kitty.gif

That's quite impressive. How did they get Cezary Zak? He's done it free of charge?

No idea if he did it for free, but apparently they just emailed a bunch of actors and he agreed to do it because he never voiced a character in a video game.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Pretty neat they hired pro voice actors for a mod.
in poland best actors(dont mistake with most popular) do their craft in theatre. Movies are more of money earning thing not to starve, while theatre is prestige. 'Voice' actor doesnt really apply, he is one of best and in this mod they have a few of those.

In general, localised rpgs in poland were blessed with top actors giving their voices. potato bg2 >> english one

Lhynn

Arcane
Interested, but this shit doesnt seem to be getting much traction. Or is there a thread about this mod somewhere?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Came back to call everyone who isn't playing this a retarded piece of shit with a kurwa mother.
Might be the best RPG (with a few flaws) made in the last 15 years, and it's not even that close.

Can you believe people are playing Gayfinder 2 and fucking devils and foxes instead of Gothic 3? And make no mistake, this is Gothic 3, the real one, finally.

Makes me projectile vomit how we've pretended to be 'happy' with Elex (which is trash compared to this, and which we only loved as much as we did because we were starved for something 'like Gothic.')
Worse, it makes me sick to my stomach thinking back on the last decade of RPGs, and us trying to pretend like there was even an ounce of anything redeemable in any of them when they were all, with no exaggeration or exception, absolute trash, year after year.

Basically, this "mod" (a joke; this is no mod, it is Gothic 3) is the RPG everyone here (or at least those that like Gothic-style RPGs) has been waiting for for 20 years. Fuck yeah.

Edit: also I FUCKING HATE MODS so if your reason is "boohoo I hate mods" fuck you too

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
> Polish

that70s-show-kitty.gif

Pretty neat they hired pro voice actors for a mod.

Actually, mr Żak got approached by the team and agreed to provide voice for the mod for experience of voicing video game alone - he never did it before and wanted to add the last of possible dubbing experiences (he is theatrical actor, TV one and used to dub cartoons)

Cunt Dickula!?

Ok... So how much Germoney did the Polish state put into this mod?
And how much more do you need for a sequel?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Watched the opening cut scenes and was immediately turned off because they were the size of postage stamp, pardon my (mild) hyperbole). Apparently too many uses had crashes with the full sized HD cutscene videos so they downscaled it, but man that was jarring. It left a bad first impression but luckily there's a fix for this on ModDB where you can reinstate the original high resolution cutscenes. They looked great in 1920x1080. I also heard that if you neglect to select the Polish install option with the GOG version and use english instead, you lose all the voice acting. Again, for the persistent, there's a fix if you just re-install and select polish.

Still waiting for full controller support.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom