Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lord of the Rings & Hobbit CRPGs

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
By the fucking gods I don't see any on GOG and so few on STEAM. Have any of you gone through the list for PC - only and review them? I seear I had an action RPG you on win xp but forgot the name. I'm astounded, so few.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Well, i recall one scenario you played gandolf. That's about it. So long ago. Bottom vid looks about right esp with the voice acting.

Might be The Third Age, though it wasn't on PC.

LOTR-The-Third-Age-screenshot-lord-of-the-rings-34784080-640-504.jpg

War in the North was pretty fun - it was developed by Snowblind. Lore-wise it was very bad, though.

Been delisted from Steam, so I guess they want to force people to remove from inventory.

I played it on release (granted, that was over a decade ago) and don't remember it being that bad. As far as Lord of the Rings games go, it certainly wasn't one of the worst ones.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
War in the North was an atrocity.

Was it worse than The Third Age? I've owned WITN on Steam for years but haven't touched it yet. I liked the idea of it being divorced from the films and being set partly? up in Angmar.

It's just a banal game. There's literally not a single thing that makes it stand out. Just linear popamole hack & slash with no soul.

Play Shadow of Mordor instead.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
They're probably unavailable/delisted due to license expiring, since new LoTR games are published by Warner. Same reason you can't buy Transformers Devastation and War for Cybertron anymore.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
There is also T.O.M.E. 2.3.5 (or 2.3.x) a roguelike called Tales of Middle Earth, that precedes Tales of Maj'Eyal 4.x; info here: https://forums.te4.org/viewforum.php?f=28
It is also about all the info that remains. There is a download link on the forums: https://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?p=92426
I have not seen any news about it, but I think the dev(s) noticed at some time (like 10 years ago?) that they cannot go on without a LOTR licence and then rewrote all old references to LOTR to create Maj'Eyal and added some graphics. This exists also for Android as 'Angband Variants' in the Play Store. It is a huge game, based on Angband, but with an interpretation of a Middle Earth world map and a plot.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not an RPG but LOTR: Battle for Middle Earth was always getting good reviews. I think the physical copy was stupid expensive on Amazon for a while, then it became unavailable. In the UK anyway. I missed it when it came out, but still waiting for GOG to do something. Nothing on Steam.

Edit: Before anyone says it's not an RPG; just F off. What is a RPG anyway.

vota DC

Augur
The Last days for mount and Blade was great too and Kingdom of Arda can be great, lotr has better strategy games than RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom