Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Doesn't Steam Just Have an Option to Turn off Updating?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wasn't this a feature once? It's still possible, but you have to jump thorough hoops. I expect they do it for a number of reasons, but one of them is when you've got a great game that's modded to make it even better, and they want you to buy the sequel.

So the devs update the game and break all the mods. Then you can't roll back to a previous version that worked fine and didn't need updating at all. Otherwise why are they updating a game that came out 10 years ago?.

Fortunately (fuck you Egosoft) I've got the previous version of X3 backed up and all the mods you broke still work on it. Stuff like this will not convince me to move onto X4 at full price, and I'm even more determined to buy it in a sale now.

Fuckers could have completely broken one of my favourite games.

:rpgcodex:

mkultra

Augur
yeah it's awful. i spent a few hours modding Subnautica so i could finally play it and also enjoy it in VR (requires some mods) and i added quite a few gameplay mods, not exactly a fun time but i got it working.

The very next day the devs release a """""patch"""" some total BS patch with only 1 "fix"; moving the help section from Steam to their blog. 0 people cares about their fucking blog. They haven't made patches in like a year and update the game for that?? Idiots. Money well spent i guess because adding patches to games supposedly costs a small fortune.

They ruined mods for thousands for that shit, some mods which might never get updated again (modders move on..). Pretty sure they did it on purpose, just to fuck with people who uses mods. i'll never support them again + i'll never get to play this game either because i'm not gonna spend the time again modding it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some devs keep their older versions at least. But yeah, it's still annoying.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's me with rimworld. Also did u try the community dlc farnaham legacy?

Nope, but hear good things about it. The thing is I've never completed an X game and I've gompleted every game I own for the past 25 years. But for all the people against mods: sometimes the mod makes the game. Playing the X3 universe with a Star Wars mod or in my case, a Battlestar Galactica mod is better for me than cumbrains playing sexed up Skyrim.

And ultimately your argument is self-defeating because what do you think sold Skyrim as much as it did? The average appeal of the game, or the fact that Todd Howard knew within days coomers would be fapping to Skyrim tits?. I would personally never bother to buy X4 unless I knew that great Star Wars mod was being made for it, and what the modders did with the BSG mod was the best thing I've seen modders do for a game eva.

Last edited:

mkultra

Augur
yeah it's awful. i spent a few hours modding Subnautica so i could finally play it and also enjoy it in VR

VR Subnautica actually freaked me tf out and i'm normally immune to that sorta thing.

It was really cool for the 40'ish minutes that i got to play it.. big fan of underwater stuff, used to dive in my youth.
I've only been freaked out once or twice in VR, one time was with Resident Evil 7. Having stuff in 1:1 scale is freaky in horror games.

Codex Year of the Donut
it's still there, there's just no way to do it from the client anymore

open the appmanifest
change "StateFlags" to 4(it's probably 6 if it needs an update)
Set ScheduledAutoUpdate to 0

Riskbreaker

'Tis incredible to me that there is no easy, hassle-free way to revert to prior version of your game from within the client, and not just because of mods: think of those situations where the latest patch breaks something on your specific system so that now your game crashes on launch, or gives you black screen, or performs worse etc.

Of corse, as with all these services and networks, there's only one direction it'll go: less control for you and less transparency from them, and for you to be a nice little product and dutifully consoom.

Codex Year of the Donut
'Tis incredible to me that there is no easy, hassle-free way to revert to prior version of your game from within the client, and not just because of mods: think of those situations where the latest patch breaks something on your specific system so that now your game crashes on launch, or gives you black screen, or performs worse etc.

Of corse, as with all these services and networks, there's only one direction it'll go: less control for you and less transparency from them, and for you to be a nice little product and dutifully consoom.
It'd take up a lot of storage space to keep old versions around, I assume they're deleted when a new version is uploaded(short of creating a branch for it, of course)

And theoretically they could use diffs(which would make updating/original installation painful unless a separate, 'newest' copy was also kept around), compressed files don't tend to binary diff well and create huge diffs for small changes.

Magnum

Novice
Or do you think you actually own a game because you bought it on GOG
There's a local copy of the installer saved to my PC that nobody can mess with. I can even save it on a USB drive or a disc if I want.

Bingo.
The disks on my shelf are not going anywhere or changing if I don't want them to.
& mods are good, I choose when and how or join a server that auto installs cool stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom