Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

"The community" doesn't say shit because most people don't give feedba
Hey Tacgnol, you fucking retard,got any examples of this pro GGG apologia you guys are waxing poetic about, or are you just talking out of your ass because you have no actual substance to your arguments?

Considering both you and Kjaska have been shilling for GGG non stop pretty much the last few pages I think you have both proven my point perfectly.
Did you know I'm not Kjaska? True story, everyone else on the internet is not the same entity.

Why do you continuously shill for NAMBLA? They're not going to give you money, you know. You just look weird going out of your way to defend NAMBLA's honor so much. It's weird how much you shill for a pedophile institution in this thread. Also, when did you stop beating your wife? I think your constant posts about how much you love NAMBLA and wife beating prove my point perfectly.

Anyway, going back to the non-retard contingent, are the campaign alternative missions you're talking about basically like Zana missions with various campaign rewards and associated bosses? Wouldn't you find that pretty boring on a new character as well?

I mean, I think the campaign is ok, but in the context of PoE that's not really saying all that much. All it has to do is not be too annoying. To me mapping seems like an inferior version of the campaign, with the obvious upside that it can be done indefinitely without needing a lot of content. Delve and heist and what not are fun occasional diversions but I think they're much weaker than the basic gameplay overall, except they give outsized rewards.

I am obviously missing something here, people talk about being forced to endure the campaign before they can really get to the real part of the game, but really it seems to be about availability of skills and equipment that's based on character level. Is it about not having your real build online yet? Or is it that you'd just rather run the strand map a few times instead of going through merveil's caves again?

I remember in diablo 2, certain parts of act 2 could be a slog, depending on your build, and most of act 3 was a slog no matter what, I just hated that part of the game so much. Are parts of the PoE campaign like that to you? To me it feels pretty much the same as mapping.

tritosine2k

Erudite
As someone interested in a solo run I'm not expecting AA+ dialogues and cutscenes, but how would you compare the campaign to other similar games? For simplicity, let's say 1 means obvious MMO busywork with minimalist context, and 10 means try-hard dialogue&cutscene density.
(...)
The game has too many game mechanics because GGG can't cut redundant content for shit, and the game suffers for this, hard.(...)

Nicely put, & kinda perplexing indeed,
reminds me how Cadiro got retired so unceremoniously & if anything that should ring some bells. Not even a Cadiro bust for hideouts.

Maybe they even get rid of Izaro the same way, while pumping out some 5-6 fluff leagues without connection to whatever narrative whatsoever. "But hey at least we nerfed mana stacking for good."

As someone interested in a solo run I'm not expecting AA+ dialogues and cutscenes, but how would you compare the campaign to other similar games? For simplicity, let's say 1 means obvious MMO busywork with minimalist context, and 10 means try-hard dialogue&cutscene density.
(...)
The game has too many game mechanics because GGG can't cut redundant content for shit, and the game suffers for this, hard.(...)

Nicely put, & kinda perplexing indeed,
reminds me how Cadiro got retired so unceremoniously & if anything that should ring some bells. Not even a Cadiro bust for hideouts.

Maybe they even get rid of Izaro the same way, while pumping out some 5-6 fluff leagues without connection to whatever narrative whatsoever. "But hey at least we nerfed mana stacking for good."
I thought Cadiro was removed because it made the poe.trade people upset that people were able to get good items on their own.

But yeah, GGG cutting content is an excellent example of how they can't cut content. I mean, hell, they'll probably cut content in the future, which again shows that they cannot do the thing they are doing.
This seems rather incoherent. You're contradicting the post you're quoting while agreeing with it?

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Btw, are you suggesting we should be grateful that a game built around continuous content releases is using more than half the resources for their next project and promising to fix current issues in that one?
No. The "PoE2 will fix everything" is a meme, which neither me nor GGG believes in. Recent curtailing of the power creep is evidence of that.

If it were up to me, I would make GGG devote all the resources to end game and not touch the campaign, because it doesn't bother me. Studios of similar size use more than half their budget on marketing, so the GGG way is still superior.

The endgame receives one expansion/major rework yearly. Almost* every league locks large parts of its content (all the bosses, most of the uniques, a lot of the mechanics) behind getting to maps, frequently even tier 14+ maps.
This is done for a different reason. In the past the community would abuse low level campaign zones to farm specific league rewards. The same community also complained about this practice because they felt "forced" to partake in this degenerate behaviour. Now we have the most difficult content grant access to the most rewards (with the exception of Heist).

If you want to make this argument, what you should say instead is "Rewards in current content do not provide enough power to progress into more difficult content, where the necessary rewards are gated behind". I would agree with you then, because it would be a real issue and actually happened in a different ARPG people like to throw around here. Except it doesn't happen here. You can continuously improve your gear in white and yellow maps before you transition into reds, even in SSF. In trade you can even do so with a shit build by trading with players who are better than you at progressing the atlas and selecting starter builds.

Also: if "GGG knows it" why is it then diverting so many resources to a new campaign then?

retarded take
You are retarded. GGG has been talking about cutting content for a while now and has only recently started doing so. Next cut is already announced. Play the god damn game sometimes instead of just posting.

On a more positive note: Atlas Invasion starts in less than 24h. I can't wait to be ambushed by Atziri in act1 :bounce:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I am obviously missing something here, people talk about being forced to endure the campaign before they can really get to the real part of the game, but really it seems to be about availability of skills and equipment that's based on character level. Is it about not having your real build online yet?
I believe this is the actual reason behind all the whining. A more varied and open campaign won't fix that. We will see after PoE2. I bet the whining is never going to stop.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Cameron Rhodes (born 1 August 1967) is a film and theatrical actor and director

Yeah you heard it, wishing for nuanced content involving him is retarded now. I GUESS I dont need to put the whole thread on ignore just some posters wishing for some uniform opinions befitting of an echo chamber.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Do these last couple of pages read like an echo chamber to you? Maybe try making a congruent point instead of pushing the burden of inference on everybody else.

Yes, the voice acting was great, but mechanically Perandus was made obsolete by Strongboxes and Ritual. I remember many characters with great voice acting from other games, but that doesn't bring me back to those games.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3225499

As we close out 2021, we wanted to give you an idea of what to expect at the beginning of 2022 with Path of Exile's next big expansion. We're currently expecting to launch the 3.17 expansion in early February. This means that the Scourge League will be extended by at least two weeks.
Don't they usually launch mid december? Pretty big delay in total.

They already made delay last year so it's doubled.
More Scourge yay please end this misery

Perkel

Arcane
Some players have been asking when we expect to start early testing for the experimental mode temporarily known as "Hard Mode". We had mentioned in the past that we were going to start some testing before 3.17 launches, but as we have been prioritising 3.17's development, it's now slated for sometime after 3.17's launch.

Fuck you then.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
in between leagues, and when league sux
Why not just keep playing Heist in the league? Leveling rogues is much faster now and a +1 job level is like 250 alts on average. If you play Heist in the league, you get obscenely rich.

I rather focus on other activities, like Delve (second favourite league to me) and Expedition (kinda bitter that I've skipped that one and not Ritual or Ultimatum) and leave Heist for later, mostly when my heist stash is full.

burnouts are no laughing matter

edit - oh, almost forgot... Delve have a lot of map drops in the underground ancient cities
Heist? Not so much...

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Same logic would apply to Delve then. The quality of the league mechanic has no impact on Heist or Delve, you can always enjoy those.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Happy New Year!

Around the holidays I found myself with some free time and someone reminded me of PoE, so I started a new character. I lost interest the first time when I had a lvl 31 marauder and was just under 20 hours in.

This time I took some time to read the PoE 101 guides and the wiki, so I have a better idea of what I'm doing. I also started following a build which looked cool: Gladiator Duelist, Block Frost Blades: https://youtu.be/YUSxh48JGUc

The character is lvl 27 with just 10 hours of playing time, and I'm having fun with hunting for cool items. I keep reading guides as I go, but I have some questions popping up from time to time, which are not as simple as looking it up in the wiki.

Specifically, when is the right time to start dabbling in crafting? I guess the game intends it to start around the end of Act 2 when you get the crafting bench, but I wonder if it will make sense to conserve crafting items/currency for later, around lvl 50.

The question probably has to do with my still less than perfect ability to judge the qualities of equipment. It's obvious that more gem slots is better, and more connected slots is even better, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the variety of modifiers.

Sure, I could obviously wipe modifiers out and start the gambling game of trying to add back some cool modifiers with orbs, but would it be worth it to start doing this as early as around level 30? Even with my current setup, I'm not having difficulty with mobs and bosses at my level, which makes me think conserving further along, may be the wiser choice. In my opinion 15 hours to rreach act 3 is good progress, but I don't know for sure.

So I'm wondering at which point in the progression does it start to make sense to invest crafting materials into a piece of equipment. It's a broad question, so a broad answer is fine.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Specifically, when is the right time to start dabbling in crafting? I guess the game intends it to start around the end of Act 2 when you get the crafting bench, but I wonder if it will make sense to conserve crafting items/currency for later, around lvl 50.
If the cost is alts(alteration orbs), augs (augmentation), or transmutes, go wild. If it's alcs or chaos don't, fusings and chroms only if it's cheap and you really need it. In general you should not craft by using currency, use the crafting bench. The +life/+resist crafts are really good to round out your defences. Exceptions include: flasks to make sure you have bleed/freeze/etc immunity, making your gear have the gem slots/links you need (making 1hand weapons 3linked and regular gear 4linked requires <10 of jewellers and fusings most of the time, so that's a fire and forget craft. 5 or more (linked) sockets) is expensive). Crafting rare items from scratch is a super lategame activity.

Always use exalts for trade (if you find any).
The question probably has to do with my still less than perfect ability to judge the qualities of equipment. It's obvious that more gem slots is better, and more connected slots is even better, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the variety of modifiers.
Make sure your elemental resists are capped, and that you have a decent +life mod on most/all pieces of gear. Most other mods don't matter. On weapons, slot it in and check the tooltip dps, it should be accurate for frost blades, watch out for elemental damage mods though, as that will get resisted by a lot of tough enemies and make your tooltip dps seem better than it is. For gem slots, as long as you can slot a 4link somewhere for your main damage skill, and have enough linked slots for the support skills you want to use, you're fine.

In my opinion 15 hours to rreach act 3 is good progress, but I don't know for sure.
If you're having fun, don't worry about it. Especially if you're going slow because you are learning/experimenting/researching.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
This time I took some time to read the PoE 101 guides and the wiki, so I have a better idea of what I'm doing. I also started following a build which looked cool: Gladiator Duelist, Block Frost Blades:
If you're going to consume guides, I highly recommend staying away from that channel and instead watching guides from reputable streamers like Zizaran, ds_lily, Alkaizer, Mathil. There are more good build guide makers out there, but these four have stood the test of time and between them, you should be able to find at least one build that you'll find interesting. As much as I like Frost Blades, it's called a noob trap for a reason. Unfortunately, the YouTube space for PoE build guides has been overrun with grifters for reasons I won't get into here.

Unless it is something you inherently find fun, I wouldn't worry about crafting too much until you're in maps. The bench recipes are a good way to shore up resists or attributes on an already decent item (correct socket-colour-link combo + life + at least 1 resist) and are a no-brainer. Your best bet for crafting early on are Essences and Orb of Bindings. Look for the appropriate socket-colour-link combo on a gear slot you wish to improve and slap an essence on use an Orb of Binding on the highest item lvl base available to you, which corresponds to your preferred defence type.

So I'm wondering at which point in the progression does it start to make sense to invest crafting materials into a piece of equipment. It's a broad question, so a broad answer is fine.
Once you have the best available base item you can possibly obtain and you can no longer progress any further without improving your gear. My advice is to try and improve one gear slot at a time, until you have capped resists, all the links you need and as much life as you can get. Once you start finding influenced bases, the real fun begins. But you're a long time away from that. If you're set on playing an attack based character as your starter, I would always try to craft the best weapon possible every 5-10 levels. You can look up the appropriate bases and the levels they start dropping at, or you can just download a lootfilter and set your "weapon progression" as your preferred class and it will highlight the best bases in the appropriate zones for you.

In my opinion 15 hours to rreach act 3 is good progress, but I don't know for sure.
I wouldn't worry about your progression times as long as you're having a good time playing. General advice is to stay withing 4 levels of the highest zone you're progressing through.

Don't click this unless you really really want to improve and don't care about a rude awakening. You don't have to play like this, if you're enjoying yourself at your current pace:
Whenever you feel like improving, you can watch and try adopting some of the strategies he is employing.

PoE enjoyment is strongly tied to the power of the build you are playing. Therefore I always recommend against an attack based build as your starter, because casters/summoners/trappers are much easier to get going. Especially when you are new to the game and have a lot to learn. It is never too late to roll a new character. It is what I did in my early days until I was able to clear the entire game with just my starter character.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If you're going to consume guides, I highly recommend staying away from that channel and instead watching guides from reputable streamers like Zizaran, ds_lily, Alkaizer, Mathil.
I'm totaly unaware of that scene, just picked the first google result, and that's because I liked the cold/frost theme.

PoE enjoyment is strongly tied to the power of the build you are playing. Therefore I always recommend against an attack based build as your starter, because casters/summoners/trappers are much easier to get going.
Interesting, I thought a non-caster would be more noob-friendly.

Once you have the best available base item you can possibly obtain and you can no longer progress any further without improving your gear.
I guess I'd go for a base sword or rapier, raise its quality as much as possible, then make it a magic item, add life/resistance modifiers, then progress it to rare?

you can just download a lootfilter and set your "weapon progression" as your preferred class and it will highlight the best bases in the appropriate zones for you.

I'm already using that lootfilter, but I left all the settings at the defaults.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm already using that lootfilter, but I left all the settings at the defaults.
At the front page you have the button "Presets" which will allow you to set the item progression during leveling to highlight Claws and Swords for example. You can also customize the progression in the leveling section of your lootfilter by selecting up to 3 different weapon types.

I guess I'd go for a base sword or rapier, raise its quality as much as possible, then make it a magic item, add life/resistance modifiers, then progress it to rare?
You want only dps mods on your weapons, if you're playing an attack based build. Your best bet is to use an Essence that adds flat damage to a weapon and pray that you get at least 2 other damage mods on it in the process.
There is also the rustic sash vendor recipe, but I had much better results on average with the Essence method. YMMV. The recipe is:
- 1 weapon A
- 1 Blacksmith's Whetstone
- 1 magic/rare/unique Rustic Sash
this will give you the weapon A back but with a "x% increased physical damage" mod on it. Strength is determined by the rarity and itemlevel of the Rustic Sash. You then use an Orb of Augmentation on it and pray that you get an attack mod. If you do, you can then use a Regal Orb on it and pray again that you get an attack mod. Whether you do or not, you can still craft some attack mod with the bench on it, for a potential of 4 attack mods. The likelihood of this happening is quite low however and Regal Orbs are hard to come by in the early game. I don't recommend this method.

Interesting, I thought a non-caster would be more noob-friendly.
In general, anything that is "simple" to play is going to be much weaker than builds which utilize multiple ways of scaling their damage. At some point you'll just hit a wall and won't be able to progress any further, until you obtain a very good weapon. I think the only somewhat decent "melee" attack skill is Lancing Steel at the moment. There is also Toxic Rain, but that requires bows (but was played on Champions this league a lot in the beginning).

I'm totaly unaware of that scene, just picked the first google result, and that's because I liked the cold/frost theme.
Yeah, that's how they get you. Unfortunately a bunch of YouTube grifters decided to make some easy money with guide content for PoE, because that is what gets a lot of views and because new players can't tell good from bad.

I had a friend from IRL start playing PoE and in the beginning he would link me all these crap guides on YouTube. I would ask him "how the fuck did you find this garbage" because I had never heard of these channels before. Turns out these channels game the YouTube algorithm, so they are shown up top when people search for guides. Some of the more "prominent" grifters like FastAF got publicly lambasted within the community, but again a new player would never catch wind of that.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I happened to find a 3-linked Normal basket rapier today. Against better judgement, I pumped its quality to 20% while it was still Normal, then upgraded it to magical and here is what I ended up with:

Item Class: Thrusting One Hand Swords
Rarity: Magic
Heavy Basket Rapier of the Brute
--------
One Handed Sword
Quality: +20% (augmented)
Physical Damage: 18-42 (augmented)
Critical Strike Chance: 5.50%
Attacks per Second: 1.55
Weapon Range: 14
--------
Requirements:
Level: 24
Str: 18
Dex: 62
--------
Sockets: G-G-G
--------
Item Level: 27
--------
+25% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier (implicit)
--------
+8 to Strength
48% increased Physical Damage

I'll try it out in action for a while. I can always go back to my whalebone rapier if I don't like it, but I was attracted by the relatively higher base damage:

Item Class: Thrusting One Hand Swords
Rarity: Rare
Gloom Impaler
Whalebone Rapier
--------
One Handed Sword
Physical Damage: 5-20 (augmented)
Elemental Damage: 2-4 (augmented)
Critical Strike Chance: 5.50%
Attacks per Second: 1.60
Weapon Range: 14
--------
Requirements:
Level: 7
Dex: 32
--------
Sockets: B-G-G
--------
Item Level: 14
--------
+19% to Lightning Resistance (scourge)
Deal no Fire Damage (scourge)
--------
+25% to Global Critical Strike Multiplier (implicit)
--------
+1 to Level of Socketed Melee Gems
19% increased Physical Damage
Adds 2 to 4 Cold Damage
+2 Life gained for each Enemy hit by Attacks
+20 to Accuracy Rating
--------
Corrupted
--------
Scourged

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yes, the new one should be a massive improvement for a Frost Blades character. Applying Whetstones on a normal item is actually saving you currency, because you only need 4 Whetstones to get it to 20%, while on a magic item you would need 10 Whetstones and on a rare/unique the full 20.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Applying Whetstones on a normal item is actually saving you currency, because you only need 4 Whetstones to get it to 20%, while on a magic item you would need 10 Whetstones and on a rare/unique the full 20.
Yep, I read that and came up with the plan of finding a good Normal with the slots and links and then building it up to a Rare.

I insisted on building up the quality because I read that the higher the quality and the item level, the better modifiers you get when you upgrade the item.

What I didn't read up on properly is that it's actually a bit complicated to upgrade a Magical to a Rare, at least at my character level, getting a Regal orb is difficult. I should have gone directly for Normal to Rare with an orb of alchemy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom