Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
GOTY nominees: Valheim, New World, Cyberpunk 2077, Resident Evil: Village, Forza Horizon 5.
easy choice: resident evil. it got massive tits.
Cyberpunk's got tits too, though.

C52A3CA639EE3AD32326DD8A85FBD0D80FC95D3B

673A0CB267B31B0BA18F151FF3182EB69B1685F6

1244B5C349A9F186C910390F1328ECF43A995280

44A5CDEF56B0D82734E9F95CB6374DEA2D5F91F4

19ABFD7349053122EF0C939E319C4A234533F020

E860CD957099489B44CD68F9C905F7A4DEB2A3DD

882682B017AC7407C3C2AB1ECA794B41CBBBEDF4

Reject the undead. Embrace making them dead in the first place.

I don't think CDPR knows what's attractive to most human males....

Ulysa

Scholar
Deep Rock Galactic has great reviews, anyone recommends it? I like coop games, would be cool if I can focus in doing stuff more than pew pew, is that a thing?
I read that the community is chill.

Also will probably grab Gloomhaven with friends, but I've never played the physical game

Deep Rock Galactic has great reviews, anyone recommends it? I like coop games,

Best coop game ever. I used to play l4d/payday with my crew before, but DRG blows them all out of the water. It's extremely fun and varied and requires a lot of communication and teamwork on highest difficulties (characters have unique abilities that are crucial to completing the missions which creates a lot of fun situations in multiplayer)

It's a game where you play warhamer 40k squats/dwarves, drink beer and kill bugs, with 100% terrain destructibility. Should I say more?

Harthwain

Magister
Deep Rock Galactic has great reviews, anyone recommends it? I like coop games, would be cool if I can focus in doing stuff more than pew pew, is that a thing?
I read that the community is chill.

Also will probably grab Gloomhaven with friends, but I've never played the physical game
I would strongly recommend it, but keep in mind the game is focused heavily on pew pew (you're shooting bugs, Starship Troopers-style after all), although with significant co-op aspect.

It's extremely fun and varied and requires a lot of communication and teamwork on highest difficulties
Honestly, all you need is the laser pointer. The longest sentences are "r?" and "k", because everything else can be understood contextually.

ferratilis

Magister
Guys, I caved in and bought Disco Elysium. Holidays are a good time for relaxing adventure games.

Also bought a nice animated avatar from the points shop to go along with it.
image.png

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Oh shit, they ported the two Kingdom Under Fire spinoffs to the PC (bc the original was PC lol).

It's half rts while half hack & slash with your hero. And done better than ... whatever that Ninety-Nine Knights, yeah.

50% off each, or 63% off both console games.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15621/Kingdom_Under_Fire_Classics/

Edit: If they ported it well and let's me play with M+KB, oh man that'll be better than the original. Because controlling RTS simultaneously is not fun on a controller.

Haven't picked anything up from the sale yet, but stuff I'm eyeballing is the following:

Cookie Clicker, probably shouldn't since it's free and I've been shutting my computer down more regularly since I need the fucker to hold together until video cards are reasonable again but I'm still a little tempted.
AI the Somnium Files, as previously mentioned dumb Japanese adventure games with mysteries are apparently my jam so I may snag another.
Bad EA shit, deep in my heart of hearts I know I don't need to spend $5 for Dragon Age 2 complete but I had enough fun laughing at it back in the day and I like Dragon Age well enough I could see myself wanting to replay the series at some point.
Sinking City, maybe the one I'm feeling most strongly about buying. As fucky as it's supposed to be it sounds right up my alley and I bet I'll have a good time with it. Likely do Zombra's recommendation of turning off map markers, playing on hard, and leaving on interactables.
Ion Fury, I pirated it when it launched and despite it being gorgeous I just didn't enjoy it much. At $10 I'm considering picking it up since even not being one I'm wild about it's still at least decent. It also may be the game in this list most likely to show up in a bundle so that could be reason to wait.
REKKR, absolutely doesn't need to be purchased but I'm not opposed to throwing a few bucks at fancy wads that put themselves up for sale. Not even a huge REKKR fan but it's worth $4.50.
Ni No Kuni 1 and 2, since I'm having a strange moment and have been enjoying old Final Fantasy games it's making me feel more kindly toward JRPGs, and these (Or at least the first one) were also partially done by Studio Ghibli which is the only source of palatable anime so I'm thinking about them. PROBABLY won't do it but maybe the ass end of 2021 and 2022 will be the era I finally let JRPGs into my heart.

Nothing much grabbing me by the balls and Sinking City's the only one I'm somewhat set on.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
AI the Somnium Files, as previously mentioned dumb Japanese adventure games with mysteries are apparently my jam so I may snag another.

Sinking City, maybe the one I'm feeling most strongly about buying. As fucky as it's supposed to be it sounds right up my alley and I bet I'll have a good time with it. Likely do Zombra's recommendation of turning off map markers, playing on hard, and leaving on interactables.

Ion Fury, I pirated it when it launched and despite it being gorgeous I just didn't enjoy it much. At $10 I'm considering picking it up since even not being one I'm wild about it's still at least decent. It also may be the game in this list most likely to show up in a bundle so that could be reason to wait.

AI The Somnium Files is good, has a nice story w/ lots of mysteries and good characters and a nice mix of fun/lighthearted stuff and serious drama, it's Uchikosi's best game imo, gameplay is pretty interesting too, I recommend it.

Sinking City is something I'm interested in but I'm not sure if all the crap behind it has been settled.. I know at one point the Steam version didn't have everything in it and there was some dispute between Frogwares and Nacon, iirc Nacon won the lawsuit but I'm still not sure of the games status on Steam in regards to if it is the 'good' one (though I'm not sure if that is really apt since I'm not entirely certain of what exactly was going on)

Ion Fury is great and it has an expansion coming soon and a large free update to go along with it iirc.

Sinking City is something I'm interested in but I'm not sure if all the crap behind it has been settled.. I know at one point the Steam version didn't have everything in it and there was some dispute between Frogwares and Nacon, iirc Nacon won the lawsuit but I'm still not sure of the games status on Steam in regards to if it is the 'good' one (though I'm not sure if that is really apt since I'm not entirely certain of what exactly was going on)
My half-assed looking into it seems to suggest the Steam version of Sinking City is now fully functional and got all the shit with it. It doesn't include the DLC (Though the DLC is for sale (And is apparently trivial to pirate, there's even a guide for it on Steam)) which it apparently DID have when they initially put it back up on Steam but that's apparently because Nacon didn't know what the fuck they were doing and have since rectified that. I also don't know if Frogwares has accepted this and they're the ones maintaining the Steam copy of the game or not, another snippet I picked up when I was noodling around reading about it a few months ago is apparently Frogwares' hands weren't as clean as they were implying and did some manner of underhanded shit with Nacon, and since I don't give enough of a shit to try to decipher he said/she said I'm just going to assume the Steam version's fine and not funding gun runners or some fucking thing.

Gist is it sounds like the Steam version is now fully functional and normal and it was just fucked up for a while since Nacon were/are idiots that have since fixed it.

Edit: Well son of a bitch. Wandered back over there to look at it again and someone's saying the Steam version is unpatched. So it's not actually up to date. God damn it

Edit 2: Dude claims in here that the DLC pirate guide also may update the Steam version. Sounds like it's a bit nebulous, dunno if the game doesn't display a version number or what. https://steamcommunity.com/app/750130/discussions/0/3196991412354071129/

Last edited:
Jenkem Looks like the Gamesplanet version of Sinking City is currently on sale a little cheaper than Steam ($7 instead of $8) and there's a deluxe version for $10 which includes all the DLC including a piece of DLC that isn't even listed on the Steam version, and that's the place where Frogwares is maintaining the game best apparently. It's a better option in all cases except if you'd rather pay a dollar more just to avoid signing up for another storefront and try to remember where the fuck your game is if you decide you want to replay it in a few years.

I'm probably going to do the Steam version for convenience since it's awkward enough when I try to remember if a game I'm looking for I've got on GoG/Origin/Uplay/god only fucking knows, and having Gamesplanet only for Sinking City would be a pain. Not even sure if they've got a launcher or if you just download an installer, but even if it's an installer that's better for archiving in case Gamesplanet goes tits up but still a pain compared to downloading an installed game since I'm mildly tight on space. What a damn mess.

Is Stygian even worth playing? I heard it's very obviously unfinished.
For a dollar, absolutely. Playing through took me all of 12 hours and even though it is unfinished there's a satisfying enough ending that it's not a COMPLETE kick in the balls and it has some fun moments/locations/etc. The most painful part about it is playing it and thinking about what it would've been like with more time and budget. I suppose there's also a balance you have to strike of enjoying pulpy faux-Lovecraft while not expecting actual Lovecraft since you'll be beaning horrors with clubs. It's not worth it by itself just as an RPG unless the setting sounds fun to you.

Codex Year of the Donut

This game has been delayed like 4 times so far this year alone. It's going to be an absolute shit show.
I can't wait to buy it.

Got delayed again

Delayed again :M

Seems like the developer is going to release it when it's done. Probably better that way.

April 2020 release date
get EXCITED :bounce:

Q1 2022 release date
get EXCITED
s420.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom