Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG should I introduce my son to?

curds

Magister
BG1's a good place to start, better than FO1 in my opinion as Minsc's sillyness is a bit more childish.
I'd say Fallout 1. BG is the more child-friendly game thematically, but FO is much easier and less complex. And it's the better game.

FO1 is pretty much the best game for anyone looking to get into oldschool RPGs in general, regardless of age. It was my intro to classic RPGs after growing up with Elder Scrolls, nuFallout and Dragon Age on XBox, and I finished it like 5 times before I was able to crack BG.

Edit:
Just saw that you posted that he's two years old. Let him be a kid FFS, and keep him away from screens at that age.

lol

Last edited:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
I am yet to sire a childe, but my dad sired me a little brother seven years ago. Across the years, by gifting him my old tech I exposed him to almost every major RPG from the 1980's to 2010's and a huge chunk of my japanese anime games as well. Couldn't even tell me whether he played any of it much. Never said anything like "wow this Dwarf fortress you had on that laptop you gave me sure is a fun game for me, a child of 7!" Probably got confused, or thought they were grown-up office software programs. But he does like Pixel Dungeon a mobile rogue lite. Which is by definition a variant of Rogue, so I guess you should try giving him Rogue. It's easy to play yet hard to master!
As for me, I would expose my kid to System Shock 2 without telling them about the alt+s combo command and Morrowind and Dark Souls, not to traumatize, but because they teach good life lessons!

curds

Magister
I am yet to sire a childe, but my dad sired me a little brother seven years ago. Across the years, by gifting him my old tech I exposed him to almost every major RPG from the 1980's to 2010's and a huge chunk of my japanese anime games as well. Couldn't even tell me whether he played any of it much. Never said anything like "wow this Dwarf fortress you had on that laptop you gave me sure is a fun game for me, a child of 7!" Probably got confused, or thought they were grown-up office software programs. But he does like Pixel Dungeon a mobile rogue lite. Which is by definition a variant of Rogue, so I guess you should try giving him Rogue. It's easy to play yet hard to master!
As for me, I would expose my kid to System Shock 2 without telling them about the alt+s combo command and Morrowind and Dark Souls, not to traumatize, but because they teach good life lessons!
You wasted an opportunity to shill your own game, bro!

Do it like this, "ATOM RPG is the best CRPG for toddlers new to the genre, and it's on sale right now!"

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
You wasted an opportunity to shill your own game, bro!
Well I showed him ATOM RPG: An outlandish Indie Game too of course, even sat down to play it with him, but he literally didn't understand anything and acted very awkward so I didn't mention it even. :(

purupuru

Learned
A child shouldn't be playing fantasy games before he/she at least finishes reading The Lord of the Rings, and shouldn't be playing Fallout without a basic understanding of the Cold War and nuclear physics.

0wca

Learned
He's 2 years old and likes Mario and cars.

Not sure if this is a joke lol but 2 years old is way too young to understand RPGs even with all the GMO infested food they're fed these days.

I'd suggest the classic adventure games instead (most of them have remastered versions out now), he'll probably get a kick out of those. Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, Monkey Island, etc.

Just make sure you don't play the "expert" version of the puzzles you might break his mind lol.

If that's a bit too advanced go with some classic platformers instead: Claw, Sonic, Earthworm Jim, etc.

Kaivokz

Arcane
No love for the SSSI Gold Box games? Easy to understand and play.
I second Gold Box games. Other top down tactical games are good too--for letting him play with you coaching as he gets a little older.

Not sure if this is a joke lol but 2 years old is way too young to understand RPGs even with all the GMO infested food they're fed these days.
My dad played two games with me on the sega genesis when I was only 2: Buck Rodgers Countdown to Doomsday and Shining Force. By 3 I was playing through Shining Force by myself (mostly dying), and also learned basic reading skills because my mother was sick of reading out the lines to me for the 100th time. Depending on the kid, they can follow along with surprisingly complex stories, and come up with their own complex imaginations, even at 2 years old. Other kids don't learn to read until 5-6, though, so it depends on the kid and the environment they're in.

0wca

Learned
No love for the SSSI Gold Box games? Easy to understand and play.
I second Gold Box games. Other top down tactical games are good too--for letting him play with you coaching as he gets a little older.

My dad played two games with me on the sega genesis when I was only 2: Buck Rodgers Countdown to Doomsday and Shining Force. By 3 I was playing through Shining Force by myself (mostly dying), and also learned basic reading skills because my mother was sick of reading out the lines to me for the 100th time. Depending on the kid, they can follow along with surprisingly complex stories, and come up with their own complex imaginations, even at 2 years old. Other kids don't learn to read until 5-6, though, so it depends on the kid and the environment they're in.

Wasn't saying it's not possible for them to play it just that a lot of the stuff is gonna fly over their heads in this genre and at that age.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
maybe some detailed info on your sons pre-requisites like age and preferences would help for a more bespoke recommendation.

example: is he more into action, spread sheets or does his age allow exclusively for clicks? cuz hfgl eli5 Pathfinder.
does he like dark or bright settings etc.

Considering he's 2 years old then none. He needs to be able to read first.
4-7 years old, sonic the hedgehog on emulation would be better.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
maybe some detailed info on your sons pre-requisites like age and preferences would help for a more bespoke recommendation.

example: is he more into action, spread sheets or does his age allow exclusively for clicks? cuz hfgl eli5 Pathfinder.
does he like dark or bright settings etc.

Please tell me you're trolling. I love RPGs and started playing them young, but even so, at 2 he's a lot of years off even for the screwing around and thinking it's interesting phase and even more years before he can actually engage with anything on any real level.

So naturally, I recommend Disco Elysium. The heavy text is accompanied by narration so he can learn to read at an accelerated pace. If he doesn't or shows signs of retardation, you can slap him every time he tries to read along with the narrator and mispronounces something. Along with the natural educational aspects of the game, the themes and tropes should be directly relevant to a 2 year old and you can have :obviously: discussions about it after over a mug of juice and some animal crackers.

(Take him to the park and play with him. He has the rest of his life to be a screen addicted degenerate like the denizens here.)

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Your child needs to level up a bit more before you introduce him/her to rpgs. Maybe try walking around a park together or building stuff with lego. There'll be plenty of time to waste on video games later.

Tihskael

Learned
Be a good father and keep him away from RPGs. Who knows he might end up on this god forsaken website one day and lose his remaining 2 brain cells.

PEACH

Arbiter
Any 2 year old worth his salt should play Grimoire. If he's not up to the task just toss him in a pit and sire a new one.

just

Liturgist
wizardy 4 or something similar
let's see what the boy is really made of
he's allowed to cry but he's not allowed to quit

madrigal

Augur
Pool of Radiance.
Simple to control, no twitch. Can use two keyboards and control characters individually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom