Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPG-like on RPGMaker? Options?

camyram

Barely Literate
Hello, I'd like to get working on a CRPG-like, with my interest being in branching dialogues and puzzles, less into the usual combat thing but it will be included. The issue is I'm not much of a coder, more of an artist, what should I do? I thought of using RPGMaker but even with plugins, it'd be watered down so to speak. Thought of using Unity but again, not a coder even if I've heard some templates or assets could help me.
Should I just try to use RPG maker anyways? For a more, proof of concept thing? Any other ideas? Keep in mind it'd have to be 2D to avoid increasing complexity.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
Unless you are willing to spend a lot of time to learn coding along the way and also writing the content and branches yourself, I suggess hiring some people.
Otherwise, this project will turn into a neverending project at best, which will usually ends into interest lost along the way, unless again you're super willing which is pretty difficult when you're working solo.
How about start a simple RPGmaker project and see how it goes on the things you don't know i.e. coding and writing. Then you could consider finding someone on say fiverr to do some work for you, for a start.
This is just a friendly advice from a fellow developer and good luck on this :)

deem

Savant
Consider Game Maker instead. There is a lot that you can do in that program without coding. Still, I do not think you can make a proper CRPG without writing some code yourself. Game Maker however can make the transition from Drag and Drop to programming easier.

camyram

Barely Literate
When I mean CRPG, I mean exactly as Disco Elysium when it comes to focusing mostly on dialogue and choices. Twine could do this, sure, but that's twine.
What I need, 100%, is to have branching dialogue. I've heard RPGMaker can do this but then again, no coding experience, it will be a hard journey. Thoughts on GODOT engine?

Consider Game Maker instead. There is a lot that you can do in that program without coding. Still, I do not think you can make a proper CRPG without writing some code yourself. Game Maker however can make the transition from Drag and Drop to programming easier.
GameMaker yeah, that could work out just fine, thanks.

IceBlink or IceBlink Basic (goldox + NWN conversation system)
IceBlink Basic: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/iceblink-basic-release-thread.140832/
Hearkenwold (good example): https://neverwintervault.org/project/iceblink/module/hearkenwold
Malkin (Example of custom art style): https://www.thewitchgame.info/info
Malkin trailer:

Conversation system, huh? Let me read on it, thanks.

Unless you are willing to spend a lot of time to learn coding along the way and also writing the content and branches yourself, I suggess hiring some people.
Otherwise, this project will turn into a neverending project at best, which will usually ends into interest lost along the way, unless again you're super willing which is pretty difficult when you're working solo.
How about start a simple RPGmaker project and see how it goes on the things you don't know i.e. coding and writing. Then you could consider finding someone on say fiverr to do some work for you, for a start.
This is just a friendly advice from a fellow developer and good luck on this :)
Mostly looking into having a proof of concept, a vertical slice so that I can pitch it to others that might want to work on it, but I agree with you, no man is an island. RPGMaker, I could make it on there, a 1.0 version of the idea, I guess, I again, just need to know if I can have branching dialogue, the most important part.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I have an aversion to the aesthetics of all RPGMaker games, no matter how great the gameplay, so just be sure to avoid using it and you should be good to go.

slowdive

Bree Arts
Developer
IceBlink uses a branching dialogue system with built-in functions with parameter inputs for logic decisions (like conditionals and actions). The system was based on NWN2 SoZ and has a similar file structure (you can import NWN/NWN2 dialogues into IB). So it has a party chat system where party members can have different responses (see below where tokens have a bubble symbol noting that they have different responses) or use the system where the currently selected party leader is the only one that can respond in the conversation.
hearkvault2.jpg

hearkvault9.jpg

IceBlink Conversation Editor:
file.php

IBbasic Conversation Editor:
img2062.png

camyram

Barely Literate
Cool...wait a minute...those horses...
IceBlink uses a branching dialogue system with built-in functions with parameter inputs for logic decisions (like conditionals and actions). The system was based on NWN2 SoZ and has a similar file structure (you can import NWN/NWN2 dialogues into IB). So it has a party chat system where party members can have different responses (see below where tokens have a bubble symbol noting that they have different responses) or use the system where the currently selected party leader is the only one that can respond in the conversation.
hearkvault2.jpg

hearkvault9.jpg

IceBlink Conversation Editor:
file.php

IBbasic Conversation Editor:
img2062.png
THAT'S what I need, that dialogue system, I need it, thanks for posting.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Hello, I'd like to get working on a CRPG-like, with my interest being in branching dialogues and puzzles, less into the usual combat thing but it will be included. The issue is I'm not much of a coder, more of an artist, what should I do? I thought of using RPGMaker but even with plugins, it'd be watered down so to speak. Thought of using Unity but again, not a coder even if I've heard some templates or assets could help me.
Should I just try to use RPG maker anyways? For a more, proof of concept thing? Any other ideas? Keep in mind it'd have to be 2D to avoid increasing complexity.

I would suggest having a look at RPG in a Box Home | RPG in a Box; whilst it is only in early access at the moment and voxels are not going to be everyone's cup of tea, it has non-programming tools to do the branching that you are looking for.

The other one that comes to mind is the Smile Gamebuilder TOP | SMILE GAME BUILDER スマイルゲームビルダー - RPG制作ツール this is like a 3D version of RPGMaker and is also setup for the kinds of things you are after.

But really; if you are wanting to test branching dialogue, why not teach yourself python and then when you have some non graphic prototypes, then move onto Godot (which uses python like language)?

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Knights of the Chalice 2: Augury of Chaos has some cool puzzles: Chess puzzles, coded messages, crosswords, riddles...

You could buy it now directly contacting the dev or wait one month for the steam version and make a premium module.

RPGMaker will probably be harder for a way worse result.
IceBlink is probably the second best option but I'm not sure you could sell your game it then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom