Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Oh, great. 3D throne rooms. Something I never asked for. Holding court sounds nice though.

I just hope it won't be a series is samey events. We already have too many of them.

Norfleet

(I never used the religion one because I don't think it's very historical to go Henry VIII).
"It's not very historical to do a thing thing that a historical person actually did." I mean, I can get why you, personally, don't want to use this option, but arguing that "it's not very historical to go <historical person who did precisely that thing>" just doesn't work.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
(I never used the religion one because I don't think it's very historical to go Henry VIII).
"It's not very historical to do a thing thing that a historical person actually did." I mean, I can get why you, personally, don't want to use this option, but arguing that "it's not very historical to go <historical person who did precisely that thing>" just doesn't work.

Henry VIII lived after the CK time frame though and the English Reformation happened after the Reformation in Germany.

If I played a noble in Southern France, I'd probably tinker with it (Catharism).

Norfleet

Henry VIII lived after the CK time frame though and the English Reformation happened after the Reformation in Germany.
Sure, but he wasn't using any technological or social functionalities that didn't exist. Splitting a religion has happened both before, after, and frankly, DURING, the period in question. It's called "being a heretic", and happened multiple times. Granted, most of these offshoots and heresies failed to ultimately take off, but that's more a failure of implementation. That doing so was not historical isn't really a strong argument. Ultimately the decision to do or not do is more one of personal preference and whether you feel it to be character-appropriate for your specific situation than whether it was historical...because doing something like this has a hell of a lot of historical support.

thesecret1

Arcane
The whole "shape your own religion" feature is absolute dogshit anyway. Just an excuse for Paradox to provide a lot less historical flavour for estabilished religions.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Oh, great. 3D throne rooms. Something I never asked for. Holding court sounds nice though.

I just hope it won't be a series is samey events. We already have too many of them.
Mods may be able to fix this though. There are mods that add a bunch of different assassin events, for example.

I like the added element of social interaction, so if done right, it could end up being positive. But it's Paradox, so I I'm not expecting much.

I already own it though, since I bought the pass when I got the game on sale, so whatever. I guess technically, I did ask for this then... :M

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The whole "shape your own religion" feature is absolute dogshit anyway. Just an excuse for Paradox to provide a lot less historical flavour for estabilished religions.
Eh. I think it's a response to positive fan and livestreamer feedback from CK2. Normies like stuff like that, even though it doesn't make much sense to completely change a society overnight the way streamers tend to.

Actually, to include that and the witch stuff in the base game really surprised me, since it was paid DLC in CK2. I kind of thought they'd do the Sims thing where we need to pay for all the DLC we bought in the last game again.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer

Tbh i expected this to be abandoned and forgotten but im pleasantly suprised

for someone like me that absolutely despises Bannerlords Map this made both games way better. The battles are fun when you're not having to grind on 100 sized looter spam every 3 seconds.
And CK3's storytelling makes it all the more thematic. My only issue is that Sieges aren't in yet at least as far as I'm aware.

I'm kinda blown away by this mod and that its even possible.
When I heard about it I thought it was a hoax. But here we are and its real.

Norfleet

I think the Religious Reformation feature would make a lot more sense if your chance to convert people depended on how similar or different your religion was. So converting people from Catholic to pretty much Protestantism would be a lot easier than converting them to your weird incest waifu war cult.
Yes, it stands to reason that converting between two relatively mainstream-seeming branches of Christianity should be a lot easier than converting people to your crazy cult.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Inherited a kingdom from my father, but my brother got an important duchy and a bunch of counties. Started a war against my brother, won the war, stripped him of all but one title and threw him in a dungeon. While being in jail he challenges me to a duel to decide who's the rightful king and I can't even refuse. WTF. So we fight. I have a shitty combat skill, so I lose. I become a duke and my brother becomes a king while still being imprisoned by me. What a wonderful game.
honkhonk.png

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
And that's the main reason CK3 is okay, but not great. There's simply too much retarded shit conspiring to ruin your game, only masochists would play the game "The Way It's meant to be played"™. For a normal person to enjoy ck3, retardation removing mods are essential.

For instance, in my Italia game I inherited everything from the Salians. Everything, not merely the HRE. Obvious bug, only fix I found was reloading and using the "refuse elective titles" mod.

And by the way, the very praised Succession system is actually garbage. William the Conqueror is featured yet you can't have his sons inherit historically. William Rufus was the middle child yet he became King, while Robert got Normandy despite being older. No way to reproduce that ingame.

I recommend installing the mod that frees up primogeniture and ultimogeniture for everyone at game start. Garbage system is best removed. Wish there was another mod to remove supply limits, since they are also trash.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
There were weirder things in history. Especially during 100 years war where vassal-liege reationships caused incidents beyond common idiocy.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
PDX has no interest in historicity or even functioning mechanics as long as their lickspittle fan base doesn't get up in arms. And said fans are easily pleased with claims that something is "actually historical" and 10 popup decision windows every half minute.

Norfleet

"I won the duel, so I am king!"

"That is fair, brother. By trial by combat, you are now king."
See, this is hilarious, but where it breaks is that in order to fight the duel, he'd have to be temporarily released from his cell. At which point he wins and becomes king, and should no longer be in prison and nobody would put him back in his cell because he is now king.

Otherwise it would totally work.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I thought I was gone like a year but apparently it was only 7 months. Anyways how is CK3? Did it fulfill the hopes and dreams of the plaza plebes or is it mediocre? Probably mediocre right? Still haven't made intrigue or diplomacy fun? If it wasn't for incest Paradox would go broke.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I thought I was gone like a year but apparently it was only 7 months. Anyways how is CK3? Did it fulfill the hopes and dreams of the plaza plebes or is it mediocre? Probably mediocre right? Still haven't made intrigue or diplomacy fun? If it wasn't for incest Paradox would go broke.

The usual mixture of clicky clicky mana, wokeism and one-system-fits-all DLC placeholder mechanics.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I played for about 250 years. For the past 100 years the game was an incredible borefest with me inhereting the kingdom and then conquering it bit by bit from my brohters and then rinse and repeat during the next succession. I was hoping to convert to Christianity, so I could feudalise and get the hell out of gavelkind(or whatever it's called in this version) but there are still no christians or missionaries around in my court and there is no event to do it and I can not be bothered with reforming the religion. It's actually pretty retarded, that you have to personally own a province with a sacred place. What's wrong with my vassal owning it? I will try to finish this run but I'm not sure I can make it. It's just too boring. I'd rather go try out HeroMarine's mod for CK2 or something.:M

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1158310/view/3104667620010104733

On the First day of Christmas
My good lord brought to me
A sword with a gilded filigree.

Hello and happy holidays! Hope you’ve had a grand time celebrating, or maybe you’re already preparing for the new year?

With the Royal Court a plethora of new weapon looks will be made available.
They can be carried into duels, or shown off in your courts where they will be placed prominently on weapon stands for all to view. In this teaser we’ll be showing off a few more of them up close.

99679c0b7f9b7d1f048d8479589ed8762b074ee3.jpg

The King of France, Charles II, trying to live up to his ancestor Charles Martel “The Hammer” name in battle, wielding the signature weapon.

806583725725a52ba7fe77bf2c53578ad0aa9add.jpg

When they are crafted or generic weapons are wielded the game will pick an appropriate weapon from either the culture of the character's origin. So any weapon a character has acquired and equipped in their personal inventory will be wielded.

ea26783e3ab72042386f49bc0eec9759c6497fac.jpg

Swords and sabers, elegant and a way of showing off one's wealth

75d2c1d0a5936344c0b72fe665b227d4cadd952a.jpg

Daggers may not have reach, but they’re much more up close and personal. Et tu, Brute?

490af2c6f7fd2d8f05a495f996c41aa2fdbfcfc7.jpg

What self respecting berserker would be caught without his axe?

4561af7dc1bee4a89cf051ef070e06059ff2f0b3.jpg

Mace, for chasing off attackers since before recorded history.

ff54fbba119360e4c61f4d2168bf6524b2dabc19.jpg

For the experienced spearman.

And with that its a wrap for this short teaser, hope your holidays have been a great one and until next time, Happy new years!

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik

Man I love what Paradox is doing with CK3. After being stalled by life for several years I was worried CK3 would be a strong competitor with tons of brand power and marketing reach but Axioms is well ahead of the game mechanically. Glorious. If only Paradox had good game designers.
Axioms doesn't exist.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I guess they have to keep their artfags busy with something. Other than that, these features are barely relevant and don't even touch on the core issues of the game. Paradox does what they always do: Bury shoddy mechanics under different, equally shoddy mechanics.
The Sultan of Arabia will forever be fascinated by West African War Canoes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom