Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So it took me 60 hours to reach bunker 317 and did everything i could find in this playtrough. Weirdly, 60 hours is the time i finished the whole game back in january 2019 . Did the game expanded that much (like i dont remember quests like the whole sewer questline, tawfik, but i do remember most of them. I havent touched dead city or mountain pass of woe yet.

It's probably combination of me being more thorough + hard difficulty (compared to normal on 1.0 release) plus more content.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Does the secret cartel storyline continues in trugodrad? I just completed the woodpecker quest and this is by far my favorite "mystery" of the lore even since the vanilla atom back in release. Like when you realize
the postman at the cinema with th BBQ quest are actually member of the cartel using you to eliminate their competitor

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Finally finished the base game. Took 80 hours over 60 hours the first time around.

There are quite some significant content update and it's really great the atom team have made such milestone.

Overall, the flaw of the game is still more of less the same, mainly in the balance (how gimped pistols and SMGs still are because of lack of endgame weapon aside from the <<special>> which is still severely outclassed, and the perk system.

Otherwise, i fell in love with the game’s unique russian atmosphere and culture all over again. Some nice quests even though you have still the occasional fetch quests but overall the game has really improved since release, and i really like dead city. It retain some of its tedium especially in the encounter design, and the tunnels walking speed is too slow, even though exploring the metro itself is really fun.

But yeah, congrats atom team for accomplishing and made ATOM the game it deserve to be.

jackofshadows

Magister
how gimped pistols and SMGs still are because of lack of endgame weapon aside from the <<special>> which is still severely outclassed
Stechkin with ap bullets >> special imo. What's more important, you can wield a shield with a pistol much more efficiently which is huge and balance it out in a sense. But even that aside, would you really prefer if pistols/SMGs weren't outclassed? I think that's pretty cool, actually. At most, would be great if instead of op rifle or in addition to it there would be some op pistol as well with just a handful of ammo, yeah. The perk tree sucks shit, yup.
It retain some of its tedium especially in the encounter design, and the tunnels walking speed is too slow, even though exploring the metro itself is really fun.
Are there unskippable encounters still? If so, that's what suck, not the speed on global map which is too slow everywhere.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
how gimped pistols and SMGs still are because of lack of endgame weapon aside from the <<special>> which is still severely outclassed
Stechkin with ap bullets >> special imo. What's more important, you can wield a shield with a pistol much more efficiently which is huge and balance it out in a sense. But even that aside, would you really prefer if pistols/SMGs weren't outclassed? I think that's pretty cool, actually. At most, would be great if instead of op rifle or in addition to it there would be some op pistol as well with just a handful of ammo, yeah. The perk tree sucks shit, yup.
It retain some of its tedium especially in the encounter design, and the tunnels walking speed is too slow, even though exploring the metro itself is really fun.
Are there unskippable encounters still? If so, that's what suck, not the speed on global map which is too slow everywhere.
At least you can get cars in the main wastes, and mountain pass isnt that big. In the tunnels you have to follow the tunnel which is twisting and turning that makes travel time much worse. Yes, there are still unavoidable encounters too

Lorebrok

Educated
Dead City is great!

Right?! After lurking in this thread for a while, dead city seems to most people a slog or downside. Not for me, but it depends heavily on when you go there. After fucking around a lot I progressed the main quest and was surprised of there being a new map and all. (Kinda expected something like this as they did in wasteland games too) but still was happy about it. Especially because its a bit more of just fighting and less big cities with 100 of npcs. Because after I talked to a bazillion npcs I totally enjoyed just letting the combatfag side out. I think dead city as a concept worked well because its more compressed. The serial killer questline was nice, a bit sketchy though and the underground station had atmosphere imo.

Mountain pass of woes on the other side felt lackluster as hell. Like 3-4 locations and extremely linear. But in a general sense its fine cause we have it all, linear shit, not so linear shit, even less linear shit. Still impressed. Whats with the slavs creating nice games for us? Thanks slav people!

Does the secret cartel storyline continues in trugodrad? I just completed the woodpecker quest and this is by far my favorite "mystery" of the lore even since the vanilla atom back in release. Like when you realize
the postman at the cinema with th BBQ quest are actually member of the cartel using you to eliminate their competitor

Yea they got me good with that. I gotta admit, I underestimated some of the quests and got surprised pretty good, which is welcome.

Overall, the flaw of the game is still more of less the same, mainly in the balance (how gimped pistols and SMGs still are because of lack of endgame weapon aside from the <<special>> which is still severely outclassed, and the perk system.

Youre right, perk system sucks major ass, at least in original. Trudograd did improve on it a lot in comparison. But smgs/pistols gimped? Im not a solo survival mode, autistic number cruncher so I cant give a perspective of that but standard difficulty first playthrough, my pistol build was always fine. Could shoot like 4-5 times a turn and hexogen had pistol build too and we mowed down everything in our path. Except the bandits that ambush you in the middle of a forest while doing the peregon shipment quest and they got rifles all.

Otherwise, i fell in love with the game’s unique russian atmosphere and culture all over again. Some nice quests even though you have still the occasional fetch quests but overall the game has really improved since release, and i really like dead city. It retain some of its tedium especially in the encounter design, and the tunnels walking speed is too slow, even though exploring the metro itself is really fun.

But yeah, congrats atom team for accomplishing and made ATOM the game it deserve to be.

To he honest, the whole russian theme put me off at first. Maybe its because Im a non slav but its so weird and bizarre at first and somehow I got addicted to it even though I don't get all the references and can't appreciate potential good ones, can't even remember all russian names or read them properly but getting there. And now, after playing through it a few times and diving into trudograd I can say: I need more russki in my life!

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, one should clarify either reference is to the original DC or updated DC/update itself with all the undeground stuff, quests etc. I liked the update a lot but exluding aforementioned unskippable encounters and Hazmat suit introduction. Imo such an item is absolute bullshit and shouldn't be in the game, same as respec potion.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Got my first proper firearm a while back, a rusty Nagant M1895. The game calls the ammunition for this ".30" which maybe is technically true (7.62mm == 0.3 inches) but confusing because the ammunition for this gun in real life is called usually called 7.62 "Nagant". Anyone know why this might be? Is this ammunition called ".30" in Warsaw Pact countries?

Wunderbar

Arcane
FreshCorpse i think it was done for streamlining purposes, so it'd be easier to distinguish between nagant rounds, mosin rounds and AK rounds (all of which are 7.62mm).

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got my first proper firearm a while back, a rusty Nagant M1895. The game calls the ammunition for this ".30" which maybe is technically true (7.62mm == 0.3 inches) but confusing because the ammunition for this gun in real life is called usually called 7.62 "Nagant". Anyone know why this might be? Is this ammunition called ".30" in Warsaw Pact countries?
I highly doubt any of the prestigious Warsaw Pact countries would stoop down to using the filthy imperial "system" of measures.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
FreshCorpse i think it was done for streamlining purposes, so it'd be easier to distinguish between nagant rounds, mosin rounds and AK rounds (all of which are 7.62mm).

Yes, there are a lot of rounds in the world that are "7.62" and I suppose I can understand that. Probably good usability for people who know nothing about guns though bad usability for people who do (ie: the devs probably made the right choice).

I highly doubt any of the prestigious Warsaw Pact countries would stoop down to using the filthy imperial "system" of measures.

Maybe. Though the Nagant is of western design (and, initially, manufacture) so perhaps not impossible and anyway Russia didn't go metric for another 30 years or so after the gun was introduced.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
if i were to give it a try, does one go straight for turd or base game first? Is it like bg1 vs bg2 or f1 vs f2?

Wunderbar

Arcane
if i were to give it a try, does one go straight for turd or base game first? Is it like bg1 vs bg2 or f1 vs f2?
it's like f2 and f1. ATOM rpg is big, but a bit of a mess, Trudograd is smaller and more focused. I wouldn't recommend you to skip the first one, it's still good.

Yoomazir

Educated
Just finished this game, what an absolute blast it was. How's Trudogard? I read they're still updating it, is that right? If that's the case I'll wait for the complete edition.

jackofshadows

Magister
Just finished this game, what an absolute blast it was. How's Trudogard? I read they're still updating it, is that right? If that's the case I'll wait for the complete edition.
Nah, you may play it now if you wanna. They're updating it yea but the game is complete in every sense of the word.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
I am level 10 and still not found a single assault rifle and could not afford the single sniper rifle that I saw on a merchant. Realistically, I should leave the murlocs in Death tunnel until later right?

There are four of them blocking something good but I already have the water filter and it doesn't seem like I need to go any further in. I have never managed to take down more than one of them in a fight.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
I am level 10 and still not found a single assault rifle and could not afford the single sniper rifle that I saw on a merchant. Realistically, I should leave the murlocs in Death tunnel until later right?

There are four of them blocking something good but I already have the water filter and it doesn't seem like I need to go any further in. I have never managed to take down more than one of them in a fight.
Those things are some of the toughest enemies in the game, you are meant to grab the filter and GTFO. It's better to come in later if you cannot beat them now – I'd say that what's there is worth a second trip for sure.

bobocrunch

Educated
bought the game in early access and got back into it a few months ago, was stuck trying to get the filter because the gas was too much, i couldnt turn it off and apparently the only way to get a real gas mask was to be lucky with caravans
is there any workaround? id like to port a save into trudograd and maybe try that out

Die Healing

Novice
Is it recommended to port your character into Trudograd or does that make that game really easy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom