Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mech SRPGs?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Has there been much/anything in the way of good mech strategy/tactics JRPGs since Front Mission 3?

I'm looking for something that's turn based with a tactical map, etc. Any suggestions?

mediocrepoet

Patron

this is the gold standard among 4chan autists but I have yet to play it myself

Thanks for the suggestion. Some of the reviews I've seen suggest it's not really what I'm looking for. They're basically citing lack of challenge and that it's more for anime fan service, but I'll probably have a closer look at some gameplay videos, etc.

Anyway, I appreciate it, it's a pretty niche ask these days so I might have to check out anything that's actually available.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Sd gundam and robot wars series(modern titles are on the easy side but with plenty of robots and customization)
Metal jacket series(real time with pause unfortunately)
Zone of Enders fist of mars (turn based zone of enders spinoff)
Into the breach
Some zoids game
Ring of red
A lot of japanese only console games i can't remember

spekkio

Arcane
From what I've played I can only recommend Ring of Red. It has different gameplay than Front Mission, though (you can't tweak mecha parts for example). Plus, initial missions can be disappointing (all features appear ~ mission 3 or 4).

Front Mission 4 has nice characters and writing, but the gameplay is broken (game went through a development hell).

FM5 has better than 4 gameplay, but characters / writing / gamebuilding is simply abysmal. Played once and deleted.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Srw and sd gundam stuff are mostly fanservice games, but if you like that then you have dozens games to play.

Developer
Front Mission 5.

Advance Wars 2 (or Advance Wars by Web for the multiplayer) if you count neotanks as mechs.

And it's more of a puzzle game, but Into the Breach is pretty good.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hopefully, Relayer will be an okayish game. For now it is only releasing for PlayStation systems, but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes to PC at a later date, just like God Wars did.

You can also try the demo for Dual Gear.

You can check out Vanguard Bandits, even if it isn't exactly what you're looking for.

There is a game in development that is titled Zecha Tactics. Looks promising, but I will keep expectations in check.

lightbane

Arcane
You can also try the demo for Dual Gear.

This one has been EA since 2016 or so. If it does come out and is fully playable it will be an actual surprise.

Besides the mentioned games, there was another SRW games for Steam that sadly only released in Asia despite having English text, so you'll have to pirate it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Power DoLLS!

522_4a51c923229b8.jpg
522_4a51c9233a0aa.jpg

522_4a51c922aefc7.jpg
522_4a51c922e7a0b.jpg

Developer
Aesthetics-wise I also like CRW Metal jacket (looks a lot like FM1, which is my favorite in the FM series and was released just a few months after CRW), but sadly, it's real-time and not very good.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
I can only third Ring of Red. It's unlike everything I've ever played. A shining example, experimental ideas can work.
Battle Tech is no JRPG, but still a solid Mech strategy RPG.
Front Mission 3 is still my favorite in the genre. Did you play both paths ? FM 4+5 are flawed but should still provide enough enjoyment value.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I can only third Ring of Red. It's unlike everything I've ever played. A shining example, experimental ideas can work.
Battle Tech is no JRPG, but still a solid Mech strategy RPG.
Front Mission 3 is still my favorite in the genre. Did you play both paths ? FM 4+5 are flawed but should still provide enough enjoyment value.

Yeah, I've had Battletech since launch and I may reinstall it. I'm not married to JRPGs by any stretch, but it struck me that these guys were my best hope for success (and I still think that's true, I've already seen a bunch of stuff I've never even heard of before).

I played both sides of Front Mission 3 22 years ago. ;) Unfortunately at this point, I've given all of my "legacy" hardware and games to my nephew since it was just collecting dust and I got tired of moving all of it, so the oldest thing I have access to these days is a PS3. (PS3, PS4, Switch, PC)

Out of nowhere, I started really feeling like doing the stompy robot missile barrage thing again instead of the knights and archers thing or the tactical soldier thing. :P If nothing else, I put Dual Gear onto my watch list in case it amounts to anything and I might try SRW30 just to see if it scratches the right itch.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still looking around if you think of anything else.

Developer
Right, I've been trying to avoid obnoxiously plugging my game, but after you said that it doesn't have to be a weeb game and "stompy robot missile barrage" I am now obligated by law to do it.

So if you don't mind the roguelike brutality, lack of hand-holding, and less tactical depth since you only control a single unit; Dead Hand might be your jam.

Also, pretty much everything older than the PS3 (included, rpcs3 is awesome) is emulated well, so not having the original hardware shouldn't be an issue.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Right, I've been trying to avoid obnoxiously plugging my game, but after you said that it doesn't have to be a weeb game and "stompy robot missile barrage" I am now obligated by law to do it.

So if you don't mind the roguelike brutality, lack of hand-holding, and less tactical depth since you only control a single unit; Dead Hand might be your jam.

Also, pretty much everything older than the PS3 (included, rpcs3 is awesome) is emulated well, so not having the original hardware shouldn't be an issue.

Not quite what I had in mind, but I'd by lying if I said your game doesn't look interesting. I think I might check it out.

Miner 2049er

Scholar
access to PC

Why don't you emulate the living shit out of Front Mission 5 ? There's a translated rom and setting up the emulator takes around 5 minutes. It doesn't get any more rewarding than taking down these fuckers with linked attacks. A mechanic introduced with FM 4. Sorry, I suffer from post christmas swearing constipation.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Do any of these have good customization? I keep trying to find some mech game that has good gameplay and good customization, and I've just never found one that does that.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I keep trying to find some mech game that has good gameplay and good customization, and I've just never found one that does that.
Not an SRPG, but would you like to talk about our lord and savior, known as Armored Core?
I've always found myself disappointed whenever I play one of those. I like the customization, but the actual gameplay feels...eh, just sort of there.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Do any of these have good customization? I keep trying to find some mech game that has good gameplay and good customization, and I've just never found one that does that.

Battletech isn't bad, if you haven't tried it yet. You can customize mechs to an extent by substituting equipment in and out of the hardpoint slots. There are also a lot of mods for it.

Front Mission 3 was cool as well and is the highlight of the series for a lot of people. But you'd either need to figure out how to emulate it or find a PS2 copy.

I get the impression that the anime mech games are mostly about fan service for fans of the various series and so aren't customizable. It seems like a lot of them are also on the easy side because they're more about watching your favourite mechs and characters blow shit up than anything else.

That's about the extent of my knowledge though and why I made this thread.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember playing a few minutes in emulation of some jRPG where it was just the hero against man-sized mechs in TB combat. I think it was for the PS2. It was cute enough to play for about 10 minutes before I got bored and clicked off. Sorry, can't remember its title.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom