Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Silentstorm

Learned
Well, Dark Souls is hard for anyone not used to Souls-like games at all and comes in completely blind, mostly because of how damaging attacks are, the bonfires many times being far away from where you died and everyone respawning, and you lose all your souls and need to get them back.

There is a feel and way of playing the games that clicks only after a while, at the start it can just be a mess, when it clicks is when it starts becoming enjoyable...to fans, it's still a thing of it's own and i know people who genuinely beat Dark Souls 1 and others and went away just frustrated, annoyed and not wanting to play any more games like it again, mostly just forcing themselves to beat a game they paid for or trying to figure out why people like them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Think back on that part of Dark Souls and try to recall a part there that was actually all that challenging. The only part that I recall being somewhat difficult is the room with with the shortcut to the Lower Undead Burg after you cross the bridge that is getting pelted with firebombs, and maybe the section near the Black Knight.
Dark Souls is not hard. It just filters the idiots and the weak-willed.

I smashed my face into that Black Knight about 30 times the first time I met him. And wanna know how I beat him? I just had a ton of souls because I smashed my face 30 times. I looked around. I saw guys tossing firebombs at me, and I thought to do the same. Grabbed 60 firebombs and killed him.

You can just backstab him to death.

Personally, i'd say the game IS hard, but getting gud makes it easy.

Silentstorm

Learned
It helps that From Software tends to give ways to beat foes that aren't just slashing through, there are items and they are pretty useful, or you can basically defeat enemies if you figure out a weakness or flaw in their AI.

Some bosses even give chances to deal massive damage but not always, From Software usually gives ways to deal with everything if you're creative...or grind enough.

deem

Savant
I smashed my face into that Black Knight about 30 times the first time I met him. And wanna know how I beat him? I just had a ton of souls because I smashed my face 30 times. I looked around. I saw guys tossing firebombs at me, and I thought to do the same. Grabbed 60 firebombs and killed him.

I did the same thing, first time playing through the game.

Silentstorm

Learned
Since this has George R.R Martin involved somewhat, i can't wait to talk to any NPC and come back to see them dying, or them dying as they are talking, there will be no need to even try killing NPC's or seeing if you can, they will just die, wouldn't be suprised if he suggested a Dragonrot mechanic that actually kills NPC's even, dude sure loves his deaths in fantasy stories.

Silentstorm

Learned
Yes, only more brutal, From Software has done this before, dying NPC's stating their last words is nothing new, seeing enemies slaughter each other is nothing new, but with that certain author i just expect more deaths than ever, more brutality and more randomness with the deaths than ever before.

Anonona

Learned
Yes, only more brutal, From Software has done this before, dying NPC's stating their last words is nothing new, seeing enemies slaughter each other is nothing new, but with that certain author i just expect more deaths than ever, more brutality and more randomness with the deaths than ever before.

I think the first one was pretty random and brutal. Almost all NPCs you meet end up dying, most you cannot save and the few you can have very obscure methods and usually is more like delaying their inevitable demise. And it wasn't just flavor npcs, vendors weren't safe either and you won't know what supposedly trigger their deads until they happen (and sometimes you won't unless you look it up). The fact that they don't even do much fanfare for many of the deaths is quite visceral too. You are just minding your own business and suddenly you find one of you companions mad in some hidden corner of the world and you have to put them down. No final words, just sudden and senseless, none of their goals achieved, their deaths so unimportant that no one else but you seem to care, no matter if they were famous in life or just random travelers; most don't get any resolution nor find the answers they were seeking. The fact that many of them are actually quite affable just make it even worse.

Not saying the guy can't surprise us with his writing, but I'm not sure how much more brutal can he be when the first game was quite cruel already.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

It's already been established all he did was draft an outline of the world.

His participation was so small not even mainstream people mention that he was involved anymore.

This is going to be another Myazaku-san game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
rewx9cqdht781.jpg

Egosphere

Arcane
Elden Ring's equivalent of Black Knight.
I wonder if it will be possible to acquire that horse armor.

God, that mounted combat looks as awkward and frustrating as we all feared it would.

I hope they'massively buff your attack power if you strike an enemy whilst at full gallop, and debuff it if your horse is still. Otherwise, most mounted combat will just be parking next to the boss, hacking 3-4 times then running around in circles until their attack pattern has a cooldown.

deem

Savant
I hope they'massively buff your attack power if you strike an enemy whilst at full gallop, and debuff it if your horse is still. Otherwise, most mounted combat will just be parking next to the boss, hacking 3-4 times then running around in circles until their attack pattern has a cooldown.

Vaati here (time stamped) demonstrates how jousting works in this game. If you don't mind spoilers, rewind to around 10:10, he is describing mounted combat in detail.

Egosphere

Arcane

Vaati here (time stamped) demonstrates how jousting works in this game. If you don't mind spoilers, rewind to around 10:10, he is describing mounted combat in detail.

Yeah, I've seen it. I do know you can charge up the attack with certain weapons, but if they don't tie it into the speed of your horse during the attack it'll be icing on an empty plate

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

And hilariously, at 12.17 when he's talking about charging your joust attack, he runs into two trees and stops dead while still galloping but still kills the mob.

I'm sure we'll all get used to the mount but it doesn't exactly look like it fits with the 'deliberate and exact' style of souls combat.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I'm just gonna mod out everything I don't like, and looks like the first thing is anything to do with horses.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I haven't played too many of them, but every game I've played that had mounted combat was a bit janky and weird. Are there any that had realistic and good mounted combat? I thought it was weird even in the first Mount and Blade (but I haven't played any of the sequels).

Basshead

Educated
I haven't played too many of them, but every game I've played that had mounted combat was a bit janky and weird. Are there any that had realistic and good mounted combat? I thought it was weird even in the first Mount and Blade (but I haven't played any of the sequels).
I agree, I’ve yet to play a single game with good melee combat whilst riding a horse. This doesn’t look much better than mounted combat in the Witcher: inaccurate, impossible to time swinging that doesn’t connect unless the stars align.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

If I were pressed to list the best games with mounted combat, I would say LoZ: Breath of the Wild and Red Dead Redemption I+II (which is cheating because it's not melee). Mount and Blade's mounted combat never really got better, it's just necessary if combat's on an open field.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom