Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Machocruz

Arcane
Did you send people to her clinic for shelter? If so..

..seeing what she did to them is enough justification to kill the bitch.

Not going to look at the spoiler yet, but I sent one person. Think it was the skeptical man from Cathedral Ward.

It's not big deal if I ruined anything with her. I already botched befriending Djura. I don't expect to find or complete all the NPC shit. I plan to play this game multiple times, if I can stop sucking worse than DSP.

Ryzer

Arcane
Putting points into vitality gives you immediate returns, whereas damage takes a long time before the benefits actually make a difference.
It does have an advantage in PVP, when you're in battle with an opponent it is best to deal the most damage so you can finish him. Although, I agree it makes the character more squishy but when you know how to handle yourself it isn't an issue.

Machocruz

Arcane
Fuck it. I pussied out and summoned Henryk and the other guy. I'll worry about getting good on my next build. It was still an annoying fight because their health pool went up, and it still took me two attempts with the summons. They are bitches individually, but my boomer brain can't handle all the information when they are ganging up on me. Going to explore Nightmare Frontier next, but probably not the boss. Then explore more of Yahar'gul, maybe fight Paarl.

I'm supposed to be getting ready to go to my mom's for Christmas, but I'm here trying to settle scores with virtual enemies. This game's got me, bad.

Fatty spider whacked, went in to it down a few sippies and end up drinking the rest and making it out with about 30% health but it's pulling another boss kill out of my ass on my first blind attempt so I'll take it.

Putting points into vitality gives you immediate returns, whereas damage takes a long time before the benefits actually make a difference.
'spose that's true, but since stat scaling improves with upgrades I always assume that I'll really want the damage stat(s) bad later.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Fatty spider whacked, went in to it down a few sippies and end up drinking the rest and making it out with about 30% health but it's pulling another boss kill out of my ass on my first blind attempt so I'll take it.
Poor Rom, even his title is an insult.

I like the fight though, because it's super easy in the base game, and then super hard in the chalice version.

Poor Rom, even his title is an insult.

I like the fight though, because it's super easy in the base game, and then super hard in the chalice version.
The only boss fight I've kinda disliked was the witches of Hemwick, and I at least liked the gimmick of it but the witches themselves needed to be a bit more aggressive. Rom was fairly comatose too but he did start shaking his moneymaker after I slapped him around a bit, and the spider swarm wasn't as easy to cheese as the ghost dudes. Didn't try squishing all the baby spiders though since I was working under the assumption it would keep spawning more in like with the witches.

Silva

Arcane
Rom can be a wall if you try to kill all baby spiders. I leaned this lesson the worst way possible (took me 20 or so attempts before I said "fuck it" and went for the mother ).

Black Angel

Arcane
Darkbeast can be piss easy if you don’t let it scare you. LORAN Darkbeast, on the other hand (optional) has me about ready to quit.

About darkbeast:

Daily reminder that chalice dungeons were a great idea and fun, although they could be better implemented. I hope they iterate over that concept in a future game.

One interesting thing they could have done with them was make them Iron Man (roguelike style):

- You die, you lose everything and can't come back to that dungeon seed.
- You can't fetch any item found on the chalice dungeon to the outside, unless you beat it completely in one go.

This would have increased the stakes, and make the coop more interesting.
They could take some notes from Bitterblack Isle; I feel like instead of the procedurally-generated dungeons, they handcraft a couple of them, so instead of separating the, say, Pthumeru Chalice into a normal version, a root, central, etc etc, they could design one big ass Pthumeru Dungeon. Same with the rest (Hintertomb, Loran, Isz), and then connect them into a string of dungeon runs that can be cleared one-by-one, with checkpoints after each instances (kinda like how it already is) but on larger scale and repeated to one's heart content. In fact, they already have the design in place:
How_To_Get_Every_Chalice.jpg

What I'm proposing here, however, is to eliminate the need to place a chalice every time you want to attempt an instance. Basically, making it a huge and continuous worldspace, completely separate from Yharnam/base game. One might question what's the importance of it if designed like that, let's say it's like the Painted World of Ariamis; a completely optional side content that you can attempt and clear at any time you want. But thematically, I think they could take some inspiration from Bitterblack Isle. The dungeon's encounters could also be altered based on whether you're going solo or co-op; and how many hunters teamed up in a party.

Machocruz

Arcane
I've seen a lot of "If you had trouble with Shadows, wait until you fight the next boss, " meaning Rom. So not looking forward to it, but I've seen it and the falling meteors look like the only real variable that you can lose control of.

As an aside to that: as much as it was a pain, I really want to have another go at SoY. That's how it be with this game. I feel that boss is a damage check. You need enough to be able to burn one of them down before he recovers from his transformation animation, and I was only able to do that with the pyromancer, and not always. Otherwise you now have three, stronger attackers you now have to contend with. And even when there are only two, it's still good to be able to burn them down quickly because it's just a matter of time before you make a mistake or the camera or geometry fuck you.

VIT is good to level, but I think I wrongly emphasized END ahead of STR. I watched some other people's blind playthroughs and they did more damage despite being similar level to what I was, but they all had their STR or SKL . So my next few levels will be dedicated to STR, so that maybe I can get Rom down fast before my luck runs out with avoiding his meteor showers

Anyway I cleared out Byrgenwerth and Yahar'gul, so Rom or Paarl are next, or I can go to Cainhurst or Nightmare Frontier. Or I may start chalices. Taking my time to savor this game, I'll be surprised if I'm finished before end of February, especially considering my bad boss play.

Silva

Arcane
Shadows of Yharnam is one of the most fun bosses for me. Never gave me that much trouble, but feel reasonably challenging and exciting solo. But yeah, big damage help with it.

Which leads me to the next point... my memory is fuzzy but I think the chalices hold the big, damage buffing blood gems? Maybe that's why your damage is not so great. You don't need the +30% deep chalice gems or something, but just the +15% or something already makes a difference.

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
The Chalice dungeons bosses are the hardest. There's one dungeon that reduces player's health by 50%, meaning each attack is punished by death.

Vorark

Erudite
As an aside to that: as much as it was a pain, I really want to have another go at SoY. That's how it be with this game. I feel that boss is a damage check. You need enough to be able to burn one of them down before he recovers from his transformation animation, and I was only able to do that with the pyromancer, and not always. Otherwise you now have three, stronger attackers you now have to contend with. And even when there are only two, it's still good to be able to burn them down quickly because it's just a matter of time before you make a mistake or the camera or geometry fuck you.

Shadows gave me a lot of trouble too, however it is just as you said, you need to kill them as soon as possible. Once I temporarily swapped to the Cane they went down in my first try, Axe swinging speed was a tad slow to take them all quickly. Only boss fight that made be change weapons.

Btw, have you fought BSB? If not, try to do it before Rom. You might be in for a little surprise.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
VIT is good to level, but I think I wrongly emphasized END ahead of STR. I watched some other people's blind playthroughs and they did more damage despite being similar level to what I was, but they all had their STR or SKL . So my next few levels will be dedicated to STR, so that maybe I can get Rom down fast before my luck runs out with avoiding his meteor showers

My guide to builds (I have 7 lvl 150 characters). All builds pretty much come online in new game +, as the weapon options are late. Simple stuff overall but I'll go over it for fun.

You mainly want to focus on two attack stats - STR/SKL, STR/ARC, STR/BLO, SKL/BLO, and increase them to 40. Skill affects critical damage and so is generally more convenient, but the big STR weapons have a tactical advantage in some parts.

Note that SKL/ARC is an obtuse option. STR/BLO is also fairly niche, it really is a Bloodletter build (dlc weapon) ; they also can use canons which are now shit (but still cool).

There is the added option of going only one stat, pure ARC, which is powerful and has a lot of possible variety ; it can go up to 99 as it scales with hunter tools (which are not great but are an option that will trivialise some parts especially in new game). However beware because it will give you extreme trouble clearing the Orphan of Kos (he takes no shit from ARC damage). This is a problem because he is by far (at least to me) the hardest boss in the game bar dungeon bosses. ARC gives you the option of going broccoli though, which is great.

A fun option for the quality build (STR/SKL) is going beast, too.

For END you really just need 15 for the entire base game. There is no big stamina issue in this game, since there's no armor. Later on you can increase to 25-30 if only because you have the points and want to swing like some drunken asshole for longer periods of time. If you keep your end low you can focus on attack stats as needed.

Vit goes as high as possible up to 50. I'd keep it at 20-25 no more until you have your attack stats covered.

If you use a non-physical (ARC/BLO) stat with a physical one, then it's easier to increase the physical one first. Maximising your SKL is a good strategy as some weapons only scale off SKL. Practically no weapon scale off exclusively STR, not even the hammer (which is still the best weapon in the game, like every other weapon).

As one might expect the most powerful build is really just a newbie quality build that will use Ludwig's sword to the greatest effect, as STR and SKIL both pile on physical damage. It's also the most boring build, too. A much cooler option is to run around like a true bloodtinge edgelord with a katana and cut yourself with it to minimally increase your damage output while you take a iado draw stance that will uterly surprise and baffle your enemies when they decide to smash you down with extreme force. I call this build the Master of the Great Cut ; he wears a Top Hat, as all my builds do.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've seen a lot of "If you had trouble with Shadows, wait until you fight the next boss, " meaning Rom. So not looking forward to it, but I've seen it and the falling meteors look like the only real variable that you can lose control of.

Really? Rom's a fucking piñata. Maybe you have to figure out his mechanic first, but that's pretty easy for anyone even moderately familiar with Soulsborne games. I'd argue that Rom's the second easiest boss next to the Witches of Hemwick.

Machocruz

Arcane
Shadows gave me a lot of trouble too, however it is just as you said, you need to kill them as soon as possible. Once I temporarily swapped to the Cane they went down in my first try, Axe swinging speed was a tad slow to take them all quickly. Only boss fight that made be change weapons.

Btw, have you fought BSB? If not, try to do it before Rom. You might be in for a little surprise.

Yeah I love the axe and tried to make it work, but I had a feeling saw cleaver at least might have been better. One of the guys I follow was doing good dps with the cane in his blind PT.

And yes, BSB gave me little trouble. I'll have to keep an eye out for this surprise you're talking about.

Which leads me to the next point... my memory is fuzzy but I think the chalices hold the big, damage buffing blood gems? Maybe that's why your damage is not so great. You don't need the +30% deep chalice gems or something, but just the +15% or something already makes a difference.
That's another commonality in the blind PTs i watched, they did some chalicing soon after getting it, I haven't done any. I feel my damage per hit has been good for everything else, but per second not as effective, possibly given the speed of the axe.

A fun option for the quality build (STR/SKL) is going beast, too.

For END you really just need 15 for the entire base game. There is no big stamina issue in this game, since there's no armor. Later on you can increase to 25-30 if only because you have the points and want to swing like some drunken asshole for longer periods of time. If you keep your end low you can focus on attack stats as needed.

Sounds right. Stamina has hardly been an issue even at base level. It was already 15 by the time I fought the first boss. I should have been pumping STR next to VIT. I don't know what going beast means yet.

Really? Rom's a fucking piñata. Maybe you have to figure out his mechanic first, but that's pretty easy for anyone even moderately familiar with Soulsborne games. I'd argue that Rom's the second easiest boss next to the Witches of Hemwick.
It was redditors saying this, so consider the source I guess.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
One thing I really liked about bloodborne was that it had more "puzzle/spectacle bosses" like Rom, Witches and the crazed scholar. Those always tend to be more memorable to me than things like orphan or bsb. It's a shame these don't seem to be appreciated by the fanbase at large, and that From seems to be moving away from them (I can't recall a single boss like this from sekiro or ds3).

Lady Maria is the best boss though.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I can't recall a single boss like this from sekiro
fold.jpg
dragon.png

I guess you could also consider the Armored Warrior miniboss as one of those. Then there's the Demon of Hatred, where the puzzle is figuring out that the Finger Whistle breaks him, but considering it a puzzle fight is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I can't recall a single boss like this from sekiro
fold.jpg
dragon.png

I guess you could also consider the Armored Warrior miniboss as one of those. Then there's the Demon of Hatred, where the puzzle is figuring out that the Finger Whistle breaks him, but considering it a puzzle fight is a bit of a stretch.
You're right. I did actually think of the monkey one while writing the post, but couldn't recall if it was a boss fight or optional encounter or what. Armored warrior should maybe count?

As for the dragon, I barely recall that boss at all, even after seeing the screenshot.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I bought PS4 to play BB to be honest it wasn't worth this game lacks DS build variety armors are useless, but it's not bad anyway just lack replayability
BB is 100% fashion souls. I'd be mad, but how can you be mad when the fashion is so fancy?

Fashion done the wrong way.

I don't know about Bloodborne but DS3 uses the same system and it was total shit there and the idea the game is all about fashion is false to boot, since heavier armors require extra stat investements for no returns so good luck if you like the "look" of those.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I bought PS4 to play BB to be honest it wasn't worth this game lacks DS build variety armors are useless, but it's not bad anyway just lack replayability
BB is 100% fashion souls. I'd be mad, but how can you be mad when the fashion is so fancy?

I don't know about Bloodborne but DS3 uses the same system and it was total shit there and the idea the game is all about fashion is false to boot, since heavier armors require extra stat investements for no returns so good luck if you like the "look" of those.
Bloodborne has no stat requirements for armor, and also no equip load. So you can mix and match however you like. It's possible BB has the same issue as ds3 where if you have an empty slot you take huge amounts of extra damage, but I've never heard anyone mention it.

Anonona

Learned

There is no armor weight. The only thing that requires stats are the weapons themselves. Check one example of the wiki, there is no minimun stat requirement

https://bloodborne.wiki.fextralife.com/Hunter+Set

Also funny enough armor have function other than straight up damage reduction. While some armor do help to resist elemental attacks and status by a noticeable margin, there are multiple instances of the game and the DLC when wearing certain sets of clothes leads to NPCs reacting to you in different ways, going so far as to open new quests or obtain new rewards. Particularly armor sets related to the church. And as I said, try wearing a poison resistant armor (like the White Church Set) and fight Blood Starved Beast. When the last phase starts, compare how slow the poison gauge fills compared to armors with low poison resistance. Same with fire, electric and arcane defensive armor and other stats like frenzy. Even you can survive a bit more if you wear some of the few physical resistant armor like the Yahar'gul set.

So, while you cannot tank hits like you could do with certain sets in DS1 and 2, armor do certainly help you survive, specially in NG+ and beyond where monster hit harder. Stacking appropriate resistances can sometimes mean taking 1 hit more, which doesn't look like much, but makes a big difference considering how mobile you are and how fast you can recover.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Which shows why it's a bad idea to just take a system from a different game and shove it into another game because you are too lazy to recode it from scratch. DS3 is literally a Bloodborne total conversion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom