Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

JDR13

Arcane
If I loved the witcher 1, 2 and 3 ....Should I get cyberpunk? I really don't wanna play another GTA game. The main reason I am hesitant is that I heard all the side quests you get are done via Telephone and not actually finding and interacting with an NPC. That was my favorite part in the Witcher...wandering around and interacting with the NPCs.

I haven't played it yet, but my understanding is that it got backslash because it was advertised as futuristic GTA, while in fact it's just a reskinned W3. CP is to W3 what F4 is to Skyrim. It's also much shorter than W3, especially if you ignore generic "gigs".
The car is Roach basically and there is nothing to do in the open world besides travelling to quest locations and you should avoid making a mess outside missions, since police is broken and immersion braking, crowd NPCs have AI from TW3 with no improvements, etc.

Um...what? CP 2077 is not a reskinned W3. Yeah, it shares certain aspects, like a shitty loot system and the Ubisoft style map icons, but it plays nothing like W3.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You can't add modders to this situation and Todd needs that pass revoked. His games have been shit even from the first one he did which is Redguard. That accolade of fixing Todd's broken shit goes directly to the morons that support the company and defend it.
Modders are one of the main strengths of the game. You may not like it, but it's true. And crediting TES' success on the games' own quality alone is an even greater accolade.

TW3 isn't as moddable as Skyrim. And it can't be, since it's by nature a more cinematic game. This is why TW4 could never become a Skyrim replacement.

Modders are not part of the company which is what you ignore. By you relying upon modders as a defense just goes to show you how shitty Todd's games are.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
RPG Codex: “fucking terrible shit sequel time we live in no original ideas just raping old ones”

also RPG Codex: *Orwell-applause for lambasting CDPR for taking a massive risk with a new IP instead of just making the fourth game in a series*

Falksi

Arcane
You can't add modders to this situation and Todd needs that pass revoked. His games have been shit even from the first one he did which is Redguard. That accolade of fixing Todd's broken shit goes directly to the morons that support the company and defend it.
Modders are one of the main strengths of the game. You may not like it, but it's true. And crediting TES' success on the games' own quality alone is an even greater accolade.

TW3 isn't as moddable as Skyrim. And it can't be, since it's by nature a more cinematic game. This is why TW4 could never become a Skyrim replacement.

I can't remember where I read it, but do remember reading a piece saying that somethin like only 20% of Skyrim players actually bother with mods as a priority. So I'm not sure it's that core a part of it's appeal, so much as a big bonus factor. I think Skyrim's popularity is more down to mongtards getting a simple "RPG" in the guise of a proper RPG, which they can actually get their fuckwitted heads around without self combusting. TW3 now offers that same retarded experience, albiet from a slightly different angle.

And I think TW3 already has replaced Skyrim anyway. I tend to find it's the same sheltered, brainwashed, spastics that enjoyed Skyrim who have now jumped on board TW3 bandwagon.

Falksi

Arcane
RPG Codex: “fucking terrible shit sequel time we live in no original ideas just raping old ones”

also RPG Codex: *Orwell-applause for lambasting CDPR for taking a massive risk with a new IP instead of just making the fourth game in a series*

Not really, already explained why not too.

Frozen

Arcane
TW3 could be modded they just refused to give a toolkit and editor because greedy potatos.
Don't know why when they don't want to make another game in that engine/universe or by the time they finally do it would be outdated anyway.

passerby

Arcane
Um...what? CP 2077 is not a reskinned W3. Yeah, it shares certain aspects, like a shitty loot system and the Ubisoft style map icons, but it plays nothing like W3.

Obviously it's a shooter, instead of a slasher, everything else resembles W3 as close as Bethesda Fallouts resemble TES.

Ryzer

Arcane
Cyberpunk would have been way better if it wasn't open world but hub-based like Deus Ex. They would have more time to focus on everything else instead of wasting huge efforts on a big huge empty world but beautiful artistically. Furthermore, they would have time to make branching story-lines.
TW2 in that regard was the best.

Gargaune

Magister
eight years would have passed since Skyrim and audiences would have been extremely receptive to a CDPR game using the Witcher IP but in the style of the last three Elder Scrolls games.
That's a lot of blue sky thinking, if there's one thing that Cyberpunk 2077 definitely proves is that CDPR doesn't have the design expertise to make an "Elder Scrolls-like" game. A fourth Witcher would've certainly been successful and Elder Scrolls fans would've probably enjoyed it as they did TW3, but I doubt it would've "stolen" Bethesda's fanbase any more than TW3 or your average Assassin's Creed has. Plus, another Witcher game right away might've run a risk of diminishing returns on account of franchise burnout, attempting to widen their portfolio with a new IP wasn't bad strategy on CDPR's part.

Regardless, the game's problem wasn't a lack of story, but bugs.
Bugs were what the general public's criticism coalesced around, but neither bugs nor writing are the game's real problem, design is.

It's a lot more like TW3 than it isn't, and far more than it should've been. When you strip it down, it's the same gameplay framework with a handful of systems grafted on and Night City's just Novigrad on steroids. I've started on a TLDR to explain it all in detail, but God knows when I'll finish it, there's a lot of ground to cover.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
How is the itemization in this game?

Are the items (armors, guns, miscellaneous) from the game interesting and rewarding to use?
Are the items diverse and integrate well with various type of builds and game mechanics?

During the hype pre-launch, there was practically no info about this aspect of the game.

(Oh, I remember that it was not advertised as an RPG anymore...)

Gargaune

Magister
I can't remember where I read it, but do remember reading a piece saying that somethin like only 20% of Skyrim players actually bother with mods as a priority. So I'm not sure it's that core a part of it's appeal, so much as a big bonus factor.
I'm rehashing an older argument here, but Bethesda's modding community isn't so valuable in the sense that the average Joe buys the game to mod it, but as a viral marketing vector. Mod-users are indeed a definite minority in the player base, but they remain engaged, keep playing and discussing the game long after release, which in turn helps maintain market awareness of the product and raise Bethesda's profile.

It was a mistake for CDPR to ignore Cyberpunk's modding potential, especially after they saw the clear interest The Witcher 3 reared in this regard. True, both games are heavy on dramatic performance and the animation and VO that entails, which makes quest content discouragingly labour-intensive (albeit still feasible per Bethesda), but even so, CBP spawned loads of asset mods that have until recently been restricted to replacers. Quite a waste.

Atrocious.

Are the items (armors, guns, miscellaneous) from the game interesting and rewarding to use?
No.

Are the items diverse and integrate well with various type of builds and game mechanics?
Builds Mechanics?

During the hype pre-launch, there was practically no info about this aspect of the game.
Now we know why.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

(Oh, I remember that it was not advertised as an RPG anymore...)

Well, sometimes instead of a grey gun or outfit, you get a green/blue/purple/orange gun or outfit and instead of having, for example, a 3 beside a value, it will have a 3.5 or maybe even 4!

DeepOcean

Arcane
It is the same principle of MMOs with modding, very few people spend their lives away on a MMO, there are statistics that only 10% of players keep playing a MMO for long periods of time but those 10% are really necessary because of a psychological effect on marketing, when people think your game as "dead", it has less value than otherwise. If companies didnt try to keep those 10% of crazy people that are willing to play 5000hs of the same game, the game population would go to zero, giving a feeling of a "dead" game.

The number 1 reason why Skyrim had so many re releases are modders that kept the feeling of a relevant game that people still talk about.

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
blows my mind there are no interesting augmentations. there is double jump, mantis blades (that suck) and pointless grenade launcher and gorilla arms. embarassing!

and yet i'm interested in 1.5 and and curious about what they plan to do with the first expansion. it's pretty clear no one at cdpr knows how to make good gameplay mechanics or satisfying rpg systems so maybe they'll double down on the story shit. they might even hire another celebrity, my guess is harrison ford as morgan blackhand

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
blows my mind there are no interesting augmentations. there is double jump, mantis blades (that suck) and pointless grenade launcher and gorilla arms. embarassing!

and yet i'm interested in 1.5 and and curious about what they plan to do with the first expansion. it's pretty clear no one at cdpr knows how to make good gameplay mechanics or satisfying rpg systems so maybe they'll double down on the story shit. they might even hire another celebrity, my guess is harrison ford as morgan blackhand

Some of the wired reflexes ones were kind of cool, but yeah it was pretty underwhelming.

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Gamers are a lot like women, they don't know what they want lmao.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I can't remember where I read it, but do remember reading a piece saying that somethin like only 20% of Skyrim players actually bother with mods as a priority.
Yes, I'll just take those numbers sourced out of something you can't remember as fact then lol. Even console players play with mods.

Even if you were take mods out as a factor (since you all seem incredibly autistic about admitting that's part of their formula for success), I still can't think of a single game that's replicated the rest of Bethesda's formula without screwing it up somehow. KCD? Not fantasy, linear story, can't be whomever you want. Various indie clones? Too small, unknown, buggy, overly ambitious, never make it out of early access.
Modders are not part of the company which is what you ignore.
Again, it doesn't matter. Why would you think that I think modders are part of the company?
By you relying upon modders as a defense just goes to show you how shitty Todd's games are.
And?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Modders are not part of the company which is what you ignore.
Again, it doesn't matter. Why would you think that I think modders are part of the company?

Because you ran to hide behind them fixing Todd's shit.

By you relying upon modders as a defense just goes to show you how shitty Todd's games are.

This only shows you to be a moron. You are a nitwit and unable to think critically. If you think Todd's games are quality you are a retard

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This only shows you to be a moron. You are a nitwit and unable to think critically. If you think Todd's games are quality you are a retard
:deathclaw:
I really don't think you're reading my posts and are just responding in blind anger over a misconception. I'm not saying his games are quality. I don't like Bethesda games apart from Daggerfall and maybe Morrowind. I'm saying they sell, and I'm explaining why they sell.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
:deathclaw:
I really don't think you're reading my posts and are just responding in blind anger over a misconception. I'm not saying his games are quality. I don't like Bethesda games apart from Daggerfall and maybe Morrowind. I'm saying they sell, and I'm explaining why they sell.

I'm reading your posts and responding to your excuses for Todd Howard. If you can't defend your points then don't make them. It's quite simple you fucking retard.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

"Massive risk with a new IP" is an odd way of characterizing The Witcher III with Guns. :M You might as well say that Bethesda took a massive risk in developing Fallout 3. To the extent Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay differs from The Witcher III gameplay, aside from having guns, it's largely the result of CDPR imitating the GTA games in an effort to enjoy even greater commercial success. Moreover, although Cyberpunk 2013/2020 had never been adapted into a computer game before, the IP has existed since 1988 and there had been a resurgence in computer games in the cyberpunk genre in recent years even before the release of Cyberpunk 2077.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I'm reading your posts and responding to your excuses for Todd Howard. If you can't defend your points then don't make them. It's quite simple you fucking retard.
I am defending my points. But you're saying I'm saying things I'm not saying.

I never said their games were quality. I said they followed a simple formula that's brought them success. Modders were part of that formula.

Or are you saying that every TES game since Morrowind hasn't had mods? Are you saying their games didn't sell well?

You're drunk, James. Put down the keyboard before you hurt yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom