Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mech SRPGs?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Do any of these have good customization? I keep trying to find some mech game that has good gameplay and good customization, and I've just never found one that does that.
I might be bale to find something since i am categorizing my collection.
A couple of questions:
-What genre?
-How much customization? Are we talking about the generic arm/torso/legs or do you want multiple subsystems linked to the main parts? (if i can find anything like that)
-Japanese or English?
-Flavor wise east vs west,or is that irrelevant?(stuff like gundam vs mechwarrior)

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There's a translation of the PSP Gihren's Greed. It's technically a SRPG since you actually can pick a lower-ranked character (or create your own IIRC) and take him through the OYW, leveling up and getting better mechs, though that's really not how the game is intended to be played as.

The "proper" way to play it is as a turn-based grand strategy game, the game covering the OYW and the post-war period, though only the OYW Zeon and Federation campaigns have been translated. That being said you'll get most enjoyment out of the game if you're already familiar with the Universal Century and get to see how different choices made affect the story and the characters. Battles are actually tactical, in the sense that you get to move your units on the battlemap and order them to attack, after which an animation like in Advance Wars plays out. The game has a staggering amount of mechs to research and deploy, literally spanning the 40+ years of Universal Century continuity.

Here's the link.

Also Zeonic Front - not turn-based, but basically Rainbow Six (the good old one) with Zakus. You get to plan missions like in proper Rainbow Six games, equip your mechs and see how your plan plays out.

There's actually quite a few mech SRPGs made in Japan. As an example, Power Dolls alone has another 4 or 5 sequels that never got translated (whatever happened to the guy that was translating PD2 here on the Codex?), on top of a myriad of Gundam and Marcoss titles.

Chō Jikū Yōsai Macross: Skull Leader, which has a full English translation.

Then there's stuff like:
literally any Super Robot Wars game (there's quite a few that were translated to English)
Vixen 357
Cyber Knight 1 and 2 (not really a SRPG)
Mainframe Defenders (available on Steam)
Titans of Steel: Warring Suns
Drone Tactics (for the NDS)
Vanguard Bandits

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Do any of these have good customization? I keep trying to find some mech game that has good gameplay and good customization, and I've just never found one that does that.
A couple of questions:
-What genre?
-How much customization? Are we talking about the generic arm/torso/legs or do you want multiple subsystems linked to the main parts? (if i can find anything like that)
-Japanese or English?
-Flavor wise east vs west,or is that irrelevant?(stuff like gundam vs mechwarrior)
I don't really care about the genre or language, but in this case I'd lean more towards a strategy game. The more customization the better though. As long as its more than just weapons though. Though it does look like MissionForce and Front Mission 3 are what I want.

Last edited:

KDcross

Novice
I’ve never played it, but Templar Battleforce seems like a good bet. Multiple classes and massive talent trees, and seems to be well received on steam and codex.

Another game that’s not turn based but worth a mention is Carnage Heart. It’s a weird realtime sim with programmable mechs. Mechs have customizable hardware, and software where you put chips on a board to create sort of a logic flowchart. You can give your mechs some basic instructions during missions but combat is fully automated for the most part. There’s 2 Carnage Heart games on psx (second one isn’t localized), and Carnage Heart EXA on psp. I don’t think there’s any series quite like it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Another game that’s not turn based but worth a mention is Carnage Heart. It’s a weird realtime sim with programmable mechs. Mechs have customizable hardware, and software where you put chips on a board to create sort of a logic flowchart. You can give your mechs some basic instructions during missions but combat is fully automated for the most part. There’s 2 Carnage Heart games on psx (second one isn’t localized), and Carnage Heart EXA on psp. I don’t think there’s any series quite like it.

Is Carnage Heart like this? Basically a trainer/idler game.

Silentstorm

Learned

If you want a challenge, then SRW A Portable or the classic SRW games are the best options, because starting with the PS2, most SRW games are really not hard at all and are just there for fun fan service or looking at cool mechas, because they have made SRW games with zero anime/manga mechas.

SRW 30 just comes to mind because it's the newest entry in the franchise and it had some cool mechas or entries people weren't expecting, like Gaogaigar VS Betterman which is a web novel and this robot which was...a toy figure of all things:

It's paid off since the reception has been the best the series has gotten for years, probably helps it includes some stuff people had been asking for years like OG Gundam.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Silentstorm I was watching some gameplay videos on SRW30 and saw that it has a ton of dialogue and such, where they'd have like 20+ minutes of anime talking before getting to a fight. Since you seem to be familiar with these series, is that pretty normal in these games? And, do you suppose they are worth playing if you have no idea who any of these characters are so the fan service element is of no value?

Like I haven't been living under a rock, so I've heard of Gundam and know it's a long running series. And that's about it. I've never seen it. So things that are even less wide spread are ones that I've never even heard of. ;)

Silentstorm

Learned
That is absolutely SRW, many minutes of talking and in quite a few games, battles being interrupted for more dialogue, i think some SRW games had records for being the games with the most dialogue in the world, surpassing even visual novels, you can fast forward or skip dialogue though.

As for lack of knowledge...the games are much better if you are a fan, there isn't a single game where i have seen every single series, but usually some that i like and while they do explain things, as no series gets the same setting due to mishmash of series, because they know there will always be someone that hasn't seen one series, it's usually more fun if you have seen the series, as many times they cut a part of the plot if not making a series post plot and them making references to the past, but, again, done in a way you can just shrug off, but there is a reason why people call it a fanservice franchise, if you just like mechas they work pretty well even if as really easy games, but otherwise...they are honestly kinda forgettable.

There is the SRW OG series, which has no anime characters, but there's been quite a few games done already and only the last is available in english and you lose a lot by not playing the previous games.

If you play SRW, try to avoid the space routes, there are usually Earth/Space routes and Earth routes tend to focus on the simpler series or less popular ones quite a few of the time and thus you can get more focus on the original plot while Space Routes get far more into the plot, particularly since these routes tend to get the most Gundam characters and Gundam is so popular they feel like shoving in the plot and characters more.

Of course, Earth routes also tend to be a bit more silly, as they also get the more Super Robots shows and fast forward the plot a bit.

mediocrepoet

Patron
That is absolutely SRW, many minutes of talking and in quite a few games, battles being interrupted for more dialogue, i think some SRW games had records for being the games with the most dialogue in the world, surpassing even visual novels, you can fast forward or skip dialogue though.

As for lack of knowledge...the games are much better if you are a fan, there isn't a single game where i have seen every single series, but usually some that i like and while they do explain things, as no series gets the same setting due to mishmash of series, because they know there will always be someone that hasn't seen one series, it's usually more fun if you have seen the series, as many times they cut a part of the plot if not making a series post plot and them making references to the past, but, again, done in a way you can just shrug off, but there is a reason why people call it a fanservice franchise, if you just like mechas they work pretty well even if as really easy games, but otherwise...they are honestly kinda forgettable.

There is the SRW OG series, which has no anime characters, but there's been quite a few games done already and only the last is available in english and you lose a lot by not playing the previous games.

If you play SRW, try to avoid the space routes, there are usually Earth/Space routes and Earth routes tend to focus on the simpler series or less popular ones quite a few of the time and thus you can get more focus on the original plot while Space Routes get far more into the plot, particularly since these routes tend to get the most Gundam characters and Gundam is so popular they feel like shoving in the plot and characters more.

Of course, Earth routes also tend to be a bit more silly, as they also get the more Super Robots shows and fast forward the plot a bit.

Thank you for the detailed reply. It sounds like SRW would make me pull my hair out. ;)
The really low gameplay to cutscenes / yapping ratio is one of the things that made me stop playing JRPGs and certain types of western RPGs for a long time.

I don't mind the anime style mechs too much, but I prefer the western style ones where they feel like war machines more than space ninjas that happen to be mechanical.

Endemic

Arcane
Thank you for the detailed reply. It sounds like SRW would make me pull my hair out. ;)
The really low gameplay to cutscenes / yapping ratio is one of the things that made me stop playing JRPGs and certain types of western RPGs for a long time.

I don't mind the anime style mechs too much, but I prefer the western style ones where they feel like war machines more than space ninjas that happen to be mechanical.

A lot of the older games don't have cutscenes that long. Besides, there's always the skip button. ;)

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I’ve never played it, but Templar Battleforce seems like a good bet. Multiple classes and massive talent trees, and seems to be well received on steam and codex.

Interesting, I was under the impression that Carnage Heart was a more straightforward strategy game. I remember some flash game that I can't remember the name of claimed it as an inspiration, and it was closer to a RTS where you constantly plunked down your customized mechs in one of four lanes to defeat some other dudes customized mechs. Sort of put me off Carnage Hearts since then. Kind of weird looking back since there's nothing shared between the two games besides customized mechs.
Is Carnage Heart like this? Basically a trainer/idler game.
Having played that game and then quitting that game, its not. Mech Engineer is not a programming game to my knowledge. You have a big strategy layer on top that's akin to a regular strategy game, upgrade your troops and buildings and you have the mech part, which as far as I got, was something you had to constantly do or you'd run out of materials to keep your tower running. The only problem was that the mech part slowed my computer down to a crawl. I have no idea what that game is doing, but I was in the single digits of FPS during those sections.

Silentstorm

Learned
Sakura Wars came back in a game recently, and anime, and now as a DLC for SRW 30 with it's short scenario and some characters present and animated SRW style:

Going back to SRW, it doesn't help that every single game tends to have a series whose plot has already happened or, of course, major backstory events, they do try to explain everything, but it becomes a big mishmash of settings and some stuff tend to get mentioned more than others, Gundam in particular, like, SRW 30 has some series that in-universe, their plot ended 10 years ago and they will talk about their wars and adventures while being famous soldiers and just reference stuff, or go talk back about Char Aznable for his actions in the Gundam movie Char's Counterattack, again, they do explain stuff, but it's clear it's better if you were already a fan where you can see references coming a mile away and want to see how settings intersect.

Some twists even rely on being different from the OG show or you can only see coming if you saw the original show, didn't see Gridman, but apparently a big twist was foreshadowed by characters just acting differently and not having the right memories and Gridman fans could see a plot twist coming a mile away because of that...again, not required, but as a game with a lot of series, it's clear fanservice makes the game become more enjoyable to fans of mecha shows.

Like, OG Gundam is only put in SRW 30 for fans because even in-universe, they admit it's just the original remade and that it's vastly inferior to recent models as it's been 10 years since Amuro used it and it was already surpassed at the end of that particular war, but hey, a vastly outdated model still kicks ass because...fanservice and to be fair, Amuro Ray just being that damn good:

laclongquan

Arcane
I'd join the group and recommend Ring of Red.

On the plus side, damn thing is tactical and mecha as fuck, equal or better than Front Mission 3.

On the minus side. Major being, it's political as fuck. As in, it mention super-sensitive issue like Communist party in korea and japan, and the dividing a country in half. There is a reason most player blocs in JP, KR and CN stay silent on this game

Minor being, it's bloody short. ten missions, I think and that's it~ For a PS2 game it's too bloody short.

GIve it a chance~ Emulating PS2 is quick these days so I cant think of any reason you would not try this shit out. Even if you are Korean or Japanese player...

Developer
From what I've played I can only recommend Ring of Red. It has different gameplay than Front Mission, though (you can't tweak mecha parts for example). Plus, initial missions can be disappointing (all features appear ~ mission 3 or 4).

I went ahead and gave Ring of Red's tutorial mission a go and, while I find the setting interesting, the combat seems quite tedious. How does it get better later?

flyingjohn

Arcane
A couple of questions:
-What genre?
-Japanese or English?
I don't really care about the genre or language, but in this case I'd lean more towards a strategy game. The more customization the better though. As long as its more than just weapons though. Though it does look like MissionForce and Front Mission 3 are what I want.

Can't guarantee these games are actually challenging but managed to find anything that looks decent and has actual customization:

Strategy:
Battletech/like:
Titans of Steel: Warring Suns pc
MissionForce: CyberStorm pc

Jap but not gundam:
Front mission 3/5 ps1-ps2

Unfortunately not a lot.Most stuff is limited to weapons only and too animu.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom