Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

HighFleet - Desert Russians Fight With Warships In Post-Apocalyptic Wasteland

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Couple of questions:

- Is there a way to check your ships' specs while in the map view?
- Is there a way to see what components your ships have?

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think that the only way is to land the ship you want to inspect and look at it in the "port view" (ie where you can order repairs and buy new components).

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
The things we do to get ahead.

4hOKyRZ.png

cDsItfC.png

ahsz3aU.png

B4EZwLY.png

6FiAcFX.png

ql060fr.png

l1RpPnD.png

Finally, all three at the same time:
FT5XSQG.png

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
This is a preview version of the ship generator tool that I wrote. The biggest hurdle that I found while designing combat ships was finding the right amount of engines. More engines mean more fuel and power requirement, as well as more armor needed to due to increased ship circumference. Often, adding more engines in that manner actually decreases ship's performance.

While the program can generate nice readable output, the main mode of operation is generating .csv files.

Caveats:

1. You must use the cornerless 2x2 hull piece in order to add in fuel tanks between two engines, and between engines and chassis pieces. Otherwise the armor calculation makes no sense. An even amount of fixed engines and an odd amount of engines is recommended for that purpose.
  2. Add an extra fraction of armor or some fake mass, due to the need to more heavily armor the upper corners and/or the top center of the ship. I recommend the -a 1.3 option.
  3. With an even number of small fixed numbers that's at least 4, use the following gear layout to minimize circumference. The column for chassis will guide you as to which one you should use. Alternately, specify your own chassis configuration.

zY1xvV1.png

Use LibreOffice to open the .csv file, then apply Data -> Sort after clicking at some row's column you want to sort by. You also select Data -> More filters -> Standard filter to apply additional criteria. Or use awk if you're so inclined (hint here).

Source code: https://github.com/basedpoland/hf-design
Binary: https://github.com/basedpoland/hf-design/releases

Here's the program in action:

upload_2022-1-16_9-57-54.png

And the data it generates:

upload_2022-1-16_9-58-13.png

And here's a ship that's better than my hand-made brawler:

upload_2022-1-16_10-0-53.png

I'd like to know your opinions before committing to making a version with a UI, or a web-based version with webassembly.

spectre

Arcane
Anone seriously tried bombs? It's counter intuitive, but equipping just one bomb on a ship basically triples the time it takes the AI to take off.
Feels a bit like cheating.

I've only just started to play this game in earnest. From what I've seen, the're been a lot of fuckery going on in regards to balancing,
with whole builds becoming obsolete with each new patch. I'm not a fan of this hatchet-job approach myself.

Also, just in case anyone wants to demo the game, the 1.14 build that's available crashes in the editor, which makes it worthless.
The solution is to get an earlier build and merge the files. I went with 1.12, merged files with 1.13, then with 1.14 just to be sure.

Anyways, here's some thoughts from a beginner.
> The tutorial doesn't teach you shit. I mean, it does show some basics, but none of the really important stuff - working with all the sensor types,
how to use aircraft and long range missiles, how to do AA (i.e. what to do when they are being used against you).
The manual only helps a tiny bit (still, you should read it), but do yourself a favor and watch some vids.

> The ship fight is usually where people naturally drawn to this game would struggle the most.
My solution to getting gud was making sure you start with the right ship for the job. Most of th sub 300 kmh craft will be useless to you in the beginning.
What you want is to strap into that Lightning and learn how to dodge shots and missiles. I would then use it as a platform to test
the various light weapon systems - R-5 Zenith, Vympel vs. 100 mm vs. 130 mm to get a handle on what works best for me.
Once you get comfortable, you can try and build an improved design.

> Strategic part - so, this game plays like a roguelite, meaning you're not expected to succeed on the first run, instead you will be unlocking extra
pre-built ships and funds for your next run, depending on how well you do, so treat those early runs as testing grounds and write yourself an AAR
to organize your thoughts about what worked and why.

>As far as I'm concerned, Sjebastopol is a big, lumbering pile of crap. It's speed is abysmall and its weapons configuration me scratch my head really hard.
You really want to move it out of the starting town (because it attracts attention) and park it somewhere while the more nimble parts of the fleet spread out.
A task force comprising Lightning and Skylarks has good mobility and can capture a bunch of towns. It also has good mileage, so your fuel expenses
will be noticeably lower. And if you find any fuel post-combat, it should last you for a bit.

>You also want aircraft and missile carriers on your taskforce. I generally prefer to build them myself, the Longbow is a touch too lumbering, and I'd much
rather have a flexible set of two lighter carriers with 3-6 planes also acting as tankers and radar support. Yars is way too armored for its own good, but
Mk.2 is a good fixer-upper with 4 tubes already there. I strip all that plating off, then put a bunch of AA crap on it instead.

>Now, my other problem is that Sjebastopol means 100 000 worth of shekels are sorta left there, rusting in the field. And you're kinda stuck with it.
This doesn't make me happy. A simple fix would be to edit the project files to build an own design and flag it as an HQ ship.
But I like to work with what the game lets me.
So Instead, what I like to do is immediately scrap the entire thing, leaving just the bridge and a bunch of 4x4 hull segments to work with.
I rig two basic engines onto it and a fuel tank so it can at least take off (with view to gradually build it up to serve an actual role.).
This leaves me with a bunch of crap lying around which I can sell to recover some of the money, though that's a lot of clicking.
The missiles and some of the guns go into stockpile.
I'm not 100% sure if the game calculates the repair costs, but it seems to take items from your stockpile before buying new things,
so it might make sense to leave it as a spare parts bank.

>Another big brian idea I had to optimize starting costs was to edit the starting ships slightly, so that some non-essential components will be removed to save money.
I would then use the parts from the scrapped HQ to bring them up to speed.
This means it'll take me some 10-20 hours before the main bulk of the fleet is 100% operational, but in that time I would send out Interceptor+Tanker pairs
to scout out the nearest towns anyway.

So, my current starter fleet composition:
2x Tanker + 2x Heavy Interceptor combo. The tankers will be refitted with ELINT from Seba. Interceptors are souped-up lightnings fitted to mount three AK-100 (though they start with two) and and 2x Zeniths
These task forces do most of the heavy lifting early on, the interceptor can attempt to fight strike groups if they're sufficiently weakened by aircraft and missiles.
I'm considering swapping out 100 mm to 130mm for this particular occasion, but AP ammo is a must, regardless.

2x Light Carriers. Runway space allows 6 aircraft max, but each starts with just 1-2, to be used for early game scouting, with view of buying more whenever convenient.
Those will also inherit fire control radars and AA missiles from Seba.

1x Refitted Yars mk2. Gutted all the armor and The Kh-15s. Fits a full AA package - FCR + 2x minigun + 6x AA missile.

Now, what I'm missing here is a heavy hitter, but that one will have to wait until I get more starting allowance.
The plan for now is to snag something decent off a Tarkhan.
I also like to buy cheap ships and refit them into light early warning craft - elint + IR, going 800 kmh. This helps to accurately triangulate enemy positions from ELINT.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anone seriously tried bombs? It's counter intuitive, but equipping just one bomb on a ship basically triples the time it takes the AI to take off.
Feels a bit like cheating.

I find the bombs to be great at the start, I usually take a Rook for this reason. You can conquer the first few cities defended just by a few light ships with a Rook alone (it carries 4 bombs by default), since most of the lighter ships get destroyed with a single hit - of course if something survives you can just retreat the Rook and mop up with an actual combat ship.

Mid to late game bombs become largely outperformed, but in a pinch can still be used - especially against larger ships.

spectre

Arcane
Would be a cool way to farm exp with the rook (though I prefer to slap bombs on something faster, seems like added velocity helps the bomb, not to mention easier to hit and run).
Though does it even carry over if you rebuild the ship into something else later? I need to test it seriously next time.

Worst bit about bombing so far is planes do it better (never mind cost efficiency), but it's still fun to nail a grounded strike group with a few big uns. I actually seem to be getting more bombs from wrecks this patch,
because IIRC they were pretty hard to come by in earlier ones.

EDIT:
Damn, the interface on this thing... is there a way to just ditch a ship? Scuttle, no questions asked? I caught me a convoy ship I bumped into by accident and there's a garisson coming right at me. I would outrun them no problems, but the thing is slowing me down to fucking 90 kmh. If I try to send it out separately, it immediately initiates combat, which it autoloses because it's a prize ship, making me stuck in this cretinous loop.

Also, is it just me, or there's very little point in even having escape pods? Does it help retain experience if you take casualties? I noticed you get skulls which seem to nullify combat experience if there were casualties.
Most of the time, I'd just redo the battle or gtfo.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/highfleet
  • Three Moves Ahead Episode 551
HighFleet
February 12, 2022 This week, Jon and Rob dig in to what Rob has dubbed "yet another entry in the crowded Lunar Lander Bullet Hell Naval Wargame Roguelike Visual Novel genre." It's not an easy game to get into, so how did our boi go from cursing its very name to absolutely adoring it? What exactly is this game, anyway? And why should every good fleet commander read the manual?

agris

Arcane
Patron
With 200k to 500k owners, I hope Konstantin made enough to continue this type of game. I would love to see other timelines, subterranean maps like those above, or even a more action-based spinoff. The art, world and lore are entrancing, really the work of an auteur.

Zariusz

Arbiter
I would love to have a game mode where upgrading and rebuilding your ship is much more important and maybe with joinable factions, you start with some shitty vessel but after taking contracts, random events, missions etc. you will gather money for all of this and maybe other ships. Probably exploration would be also interesting. But i really hope that Koshutin will develop some turning mechanic for our ships.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Got this yesterday on sale.

At the beginning I wasn't really sold on it, as the game doesn't really explain like 80% of its mechanics so you are feeling lost and annoyed. Had to study like for 2 hours to understand what I was doing wrong. After that I went from considering 'refunding the game' to '10 hours later and balls deep into vigorously evading the authorities'. Good stuff.

Unfortunately, as I was playing today the power went out and I lost all my progress. Holy shit, why save into a single file (profile)? It's like reinventing the wheel and making it square. Let me make separate saves FFS!

Zariusz

Arbiter
Got this yesterday on sale.

At the beginning I wasn't really sold on it, as the game doesn't really explain like 80% of its mechanics so you are feeling lost and annoyed. Had to study like for 2 hours to understand what I was doing wrong. After that I went from considering 'refunding the game' to '10 hours later and balls deep into vigorously evading the authorities'. Good stuff.

Unfortunately, as I was playing today the power went out and I lost all my progress. Holy shit, why save into a single file (profile)? It's like reinventing the wheel and making it square. Let me make separate saves FFS!
Actually there are 3 saves per profiles, you can access them when pausing in menu.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I bought this game on the steam sale because it actually looks kind of cool. Has a nice atmosphere and stuff but I want codex approval. Tell me I did the right thing.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So I finished it. WTF is that non-ending? Who thought this was a good idea? What bullshit!

Either way have my own personal design meant to show the superiority of capital ships. Personally, I prefer a pure Battleship, but the endgame forces me to make a Battlecarrier. I really can't tell how people can play a carrier in this game and not run out of planes like 1/4 of the way due to attrition and the inability to buy new ones in any meaningful amount.

egNBUzU.jpg

Attachments

• Krakow.zip
    77.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Changelog version 1.161
Good day everyone!

After being in beta for a while, version 1.161 is ready for release. Huge amount of bugfixes, rebalance and quality of life improvements.

We brought back the glitch effect that was in the original version, if you don't like it, you can disable it in the menu (Glitch low). I hope you enjoy it!

DesolationStone

Educated
Bought it this morning
Personally I believe it's the game with the most beautiful UI I've never played

Last edited:

DesolationStone

Educated
Bought it this morning
Personally I believe it's the game with the most beautiful UI I've never played
This game, this fucking game it's destroying my life. It is everything I always wanted from a videogame. Each campaign it's a injection of adrenaline and the battles, the battles are truly wonderful, tactically and strategically, a true evolution from Starcontrol (the main inspiration for this work). The only issue it's that, for some reason, a lor of information is not written both in the game and in the manual, so I had to do a lot of research online and on youtube to figure some stuff. Oh and it's just me or reassembling the Sevastopol each time it's so boring? I don't even understand what it's the best approach with her!

DesolationStone

Educated
pbgp7hlo.jpeg

The Odin Mk8, my first custom ship, I was tired of the absence of any small/pocket carrier. This one is also a sensor, AA and tanker ship. The issues it's that it's completely useless in combat and that it is not so fast, but in pair with a Lighting, she can destroy a lot of garrison and detect large strike group from distance

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom