Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
By093Lo.jpg

Shadow of the Colossus 2021
Prey for the Gods Praey for the Gods

aCNc3aO.jpg

XWoJQtu.jpg

plZNVRM.jpg

T9eZX3Y.jpg

vwNOL0F.jpg

3D6H1Af.jpg

XAoCyHI.jpg

V3QxRxO.jpg

EU1ZkFn.jpg

k0GpVxo.jpg

gopiz9d.jpg

enU2n0f.jpg

NTy9wvu.jpg

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Other fun examples are Radiant Silvergun and Soukyugurentai, both vertical shooters for the Sega Titan Video that apparently gave no shits and used square pixels, which at that system's resolution makes them widescreen. No idea what they'd look like in an actual arcade.
Actually I'm looking at it again and it seems like SSF is just a retarded emulator when it comes to resolutions. I was assuming its aspect ratio correction was, well, correct, but 4:3 isn't really correct at all. On closer inspection, both games have some non-square assets (more so in Soukyu than RS), with the actual ‘intended’ ratio being 10:7.

Most of the time, these kinds of systems are listed as using 224 lines, but that's not really true. From what I understand, they do output 240p/480i, since those are the only timings TVs support, but the edges aren't rendered fully since they're usually overscanned. So it's actually 240p with slight letterboxing, with the visible area being 10:7. Both of these games use 352x224, which is 11:7, and the graphics are a mix of 1:1 and non-square assets (10:7, maybe even actual 4:3), which is annoying, but the difference between 11:7 and 10:7 is small enough that the squishing of certain elements is tolerable. But resizing 224p to 4:3 is pretty blatantly wrong.

No screenshots, but I did the math. Half the artists and the emulator developers didn't, though.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Shadow of the Colossus 2021 Prey for the Gods Praey for the Gods

Does it have the same pathos and melancholy as SotC, or is it just some action game? One of the most atmospheric parts of SotC was approaching the colossi and lurking around their lair before the battle.
Shadow of the Colossus is superior in terms of atmosphere, immersion, and artistry, but even though it isn't a classic Praey for the Gods is well worth playing. Rather than a narrower focus on boss fights, it incorporates puzzles, hidden treasures, resources & crafting, hunting, combat against mooks, parachuting & grappling, optional non-linearity for confronting the bosses, and totems that can be collected to improve the PC's health or stamina. Ico (2001) and Shadow of the Colossus (2005) are both symbolist masterpieces, and Praey for the Gods isn't so evocative of a particular sentiment, whether melancholy or anything else, but it is a fun game and quite an accomplishment considering it was developed by just 3 people (for comparison, Shadow of the Colossus has 37 people listed in its credits for core development, not including sound, quality assurance, producers, or other peripheral staff). :M

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Half the artists and the emulator developers didn't, though.

Yeah, it's pretty sad when even coders working on graphics stuff who should know better lack basic understanding of these topics. Don't even get me started with the proper use of gamma correction; 99% of the world (including most Adobe apps, various software libraries, image viewers, etc) are doing it absolutely wrong. E.g. most blending modes in Photoshop are gamma incorrect, but it can't really be changed because people are used to the broken stuff (you can fix it with plugins though and by not using about 90% of the blending modes).

Game devs have started to see the light in the last 5-10 years or so because you get horrible results with Physically Based Rendering if you fuck up the gamma, and of course any CGI & compositing software used in movie production got it right as far back as in the 90s because things go horribly wrong otherwise when dealing with real world footage... Most other people still live in the dark ages. Anyway, rant off...

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, it's pretty sad when even coders working on graphics stuff who should know better lack basic understanding of these topics. Don't even get me started with the proper use of gamma correction; 99% of the world (including most Adobe apps, various software libraries, image viewers, etc) are doing it absolutely wrong. E.g. most blending modes in Photoshop are gamma incorrect, but it can't really be changed because people are used to the broken stuff (you can fix it with plugins though and by not using about 90% of the blending modes).

Game devs have started to see the light in the last 5-10 years or so because you get horrible results with Physically Based Rendering if you fuck up the gamma, and of course any CGI & compositing software used in movie production got it right as far back as in the 90s because things go horribly wrong otherwise when dealing with real world footage... Most other people still live in the dark ages. Anyway, rant off...
Are you aware of any guides for this stuff, that would be comprehensible to a programmer?

Codex Year of the Donut

Are you aware of any guides for this stuff, that would be comprehensible to a programmer?
https://blog.johnnovak.net/2016/09/21/what-every-coder-should-know-about-gamma/

deem

Savant
Lionheart - Legacy of the Crusader pt 5

2021-12-26-02-33-33-Greenshot.png

2021-12-26-03-08-15-Greenshot.png

2021-12-26-03-09-31-Greenshot.png

2021-12-26-03-17-10-Greenshot.png

2021-12-26-03-18-39-Greenshot.png

2021-12-26-03-29-49-Greenshot.png

2021-12-26-03-56-08-Greenshot.png

2021-12-26-04-08-01-Greenshot.png

2021-12-26-16-28-48-Greenshot.png

2021-12-26-17-37-26-Greenshot.png

Dragon!
2021-12-26-17-44-14-Greenshot.png

Da Vinci Tank
2022-01-01-00-50-55-Greenshot.png

Final boss
2021-12-31-19-47-17-Greenshot.png

The End
2022-01-01-00-56-12-Greenshot.png

curds

Magister
Lionheart - Legacy of the Crusader
I need to play this. I know it's not considered very good at all, but it looks amazing. I wanna see it for myself, at least.

Care to share your thoughts on it having just beaten it?

deem

Savant
I need to play this. I know it's not considered very good at all, but it looks amazing. I wanna see it for myself, at least.

Care to share your thoughts on it having just beaten it?

The art style is probably the best part of the game. Wonderful 2D sprites of buildings and whatnot. The animation however is lacking. The protagonist does not have an idle pose, s/he simply freezes in the walking animation.
Combat is a simple Diablo-esque affair, though not as satisfying. I played as a plain crossbow-wielding ranged character so perhaps it would be more interesting playing as a mage. It is fairly easy, with the exception of few random difficulty spikes.
The game is oddly paced too. The first half is where all the quests are, where you get to talk to the NPC's. The second half is mostly combat, especially the final dungeons, with some light puzzle-solving. I got the impression that the developers run out of time.
The setting is a universe parallel to our own but where magic exists. You meet several historical figures like Machiavelli or Leonardo Da Vinci. In that respect, it is similar to modern Assassins Creed games.
The story and writing are not particularly great, but the quests seem to have multiple ways of solving them.
Overall it's a :2/5: IMO.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
vq5v65I.png

QkJs4tW.png

kfp4khv.png

p1mZ9Om.png

qz2rWrA.png

txoeq0x.png

44WT9tV.png

I will start to work again 10 January, so I'm trying to finish M&M 6~8 till 10 jan. Already finished 6 (previous screenshots) and now, finished 7. Lets start with 8. The reason which I did the light path is that I will use a lot of dark magic in 8 since you can start as a necromancer with dark magic.I played M&M 8 multiple times, always as a necromancer.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I've decided to go for a Legion playthrough after all. I quite enjoy that the Legion isn't portrayed as "we are EVIL", but rather, "these people need to be civilized, forcefully if necessary".

FalloutNV_2022-01-01_16-36-24.jpg

FalloutNV_2022-01-01_22-50-58.jpg

FalloutNV_2022-01-01_23-41-44.jpg

I storm Forlorn Hope at night.
FalloutNV_2022-01-01_23-17-49.jpg

Well, fuck you too buddy.

FalloutNV_2022-01-02_00-02-35.jpg

Time to go back to my friends at the Fort.

FalloutNV_2022-01-01_21-16-42.jpg

FalloutNV_2022-01-01_21-27-06.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom