Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gloomhaven - roguelike dungeon-crawling adaptation of the board game

Infinitum

Scholar
The armored summons somehow having the highest enemy dps up to this point wasn't exactly self-evident. Also first instinct was to hit redo turn and have the brute shield up instead and congratulate myself on my powers of prescience. But again. Fuck that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why do you need to memorize anything?

I do have a beard, but my neck is always shaven. It doesn't seem to affect my ability to play Gloomhaven much at all

h7huE7m.jpg

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
You realize you can just hover over a monster to see what it intends to do, right?

Right. Seeing the pain train in advance doesn't exactly help in the starting room after you've chosen a bunch of direct damage cards though.

It helps you to not stand next to an un-CC'ed opponent whose turn you could otherwise waste, avoiding three attacks to the face

But honestly, if you take three hits from a skelly and your immediate response is "fuck this game" and not "fuck I'm dumb" your anus might not have the most soothing experience going forward

Those skellies can draw move X attack Y, can be very hard to avoid.

Fucks sake. Finally cave and added a scoundrel. Try and fail the elemental cave quest because surprise, double the amount of enemies (did get the treasure; however all mercenaries must survive so fuck me I guess). Decide to let the sidequests be until I've gained some equipment and ways to deal with 4 armor fire elementals (got the bow for the spellweaver which helped once, so that's nice). Try my hand at the warehouse city main quest instead. 4 skellies in the starting room. K. Blitz one round one, severely hurt another. Survivors drew the move 4 squares, attack thrice card and proceed to mulch 16 hp from my frontline fighters. Quit.

This fucking game. I'd try to google a strategy, but I suspect the closest I'll get is some smug neckbeard advcicing to memorize all monster AI cards in addition to all mercenaries and all equipment prior to playing. Is there a mandatory order to the quests I've somehow missed?

There are a few skills which also ignore armor, handy against the elementals.

But you'll notice that the first room is often the toughest, since you start surrounded against a lot of goons, especially with 4 players it's often not a bad idea to burn a card or two.

CoronerZg

Scholar
Been playing this for a week now with my buddy in co-op, and I can confirm this really is a GOTY, and it's not even close. I didn't have this much fun with a new game in a long long time. Game speed x4 or x8 would be appreciated for some bigger fights were enemy AI takes a bit too long, but that's about only complaint I have. Game is just good, simple as that.

Ulysa

Scholar
Man I really want to try this game but one friend's partner that will undoubtedly be in the group is a selfish asshole that always wants to kill everything himself, never heals or buffs the rest of the party. In DOS2 we handled him the healer and he respecced to dps. I had to go buy heals on my tank.:negative:

Jinn

Arcane
friend's partner that will undoubtedly be in the group is a selfish asshole that always wants to kill everything himself

Yeah, this is a real concern. If you don't go into the game willing to communicate and synergize your strengths and weaknesses, you will fail. It's definitely a huge aspect of success.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Decided to buy this off the Steam sale because it looked strangely compelling. Only a few hours but it's actually a pretty damn good little game. I normally think the whole "cards" shit is overdone and gay but this game makes them feel actually meaningful and have an actually well thought out point, so it isn't trying to chase any sort of lame trend. I like that it feels very easy to just jump in and out of, you're not bogged down to play one big ass session which many board game adaptations can feel like.

Is there a list of all the unlockable characters somewhere? Most Googling gives me the board game equivalent which I'm uncertain is authentic to the video game here.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This adaptation is an almost one-to-one conversion of the tabletop, there are very, very few differences, so whatever information about the heroes you find for the tabletop should be relevant for the video game too.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Decided to buy this off the Steam sale because it looked strangely compelling. Only a few hours but it's actually a pretty damn good little game. I normally think the whole "cards" shit is overdone and gay but this game makes them feel actually meaningful and have an actually well thought out point, so it isn't trying to chase any sort of lame trend. I like that it feels very easy to just jump in and out of, you're not bogged down to play one big ass session which many board game adaptations can feel like.

Is there a list of all the unlockable characters somewhere? Most Googling gives me the board game equivalent which I'm uncertain is authentic to the video game here.

Like Lacrymas says the differences between the adaption and the board version are so insignificant you can rely on board sources for 99% of your info.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Expansion DLC is exposed by SteamDB, it's an adaptation of Jaws of the Lion, 2020 prequel: https://steamdb.info/app/1809490/

Official announcement: https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/780290/view/3091161894481525813

JAWS OF THE LION - COMING SOON
A DLC for Gloomhaven is coming. *ROAR*

“So what, you’re a party now? A Quatryl, an Inox, a Valrath and a… whatever this one may be. Going to investigate? Don’t trouble yourselves. It is the work of vermlings I tell y’all. Ain’t nothing worse than these. Always eyeing. Always plotting. Caught one chuckling in a corner the other day. Was alone that one. Didn’t laugh for very long. I’ll tell y’all what. You prove they did it. You end them. You bring back the people, and I’ll make sure it’s worth your time.”

Lo and behold, fellow guildmasters!

bc2c3d7a3c7cb89554ba055f5bc1bbd87793e3eb.png

Work is back on the menu: we’re releasing Jaws of the Lion!

A new sinister threat is looming over Gloomhaven. A series of disappearances have plagued the city and it falls upon you, brave mercenaries, to cast a light on these shadowy events.

As we roar in anticipation, here is what you can expect from this DLC:

• 25 new scenarios for 30+ hours of gameplay
    , leading you to the undercity of Gloomhaven.
  • Four new playable mercenaries
    that can also be used in the original Gloomhaven campaign:
    • Valrath Red Guard
      (tank, crowd control), an outcast from Jhinda, wielding their own kind of weapon, a chained sickle. None shall escape the Red Guard’s grasp…
    • Inox Hatchet
      (ranged damage), a sinister marksman, hunter of beasts and men alike. Hatchet’s quarries are already dead, they simply don’t know it yet.
    • Human Voidwarden
      (support, mind-control), who survived an encounter with the void as a child and is now able to wield its mysterious powers. Minds are open books, reality can be bent… But always at a price for the Voidwarden.
    • Quatryl Demolitionist
      (melee damage, obstacle manipulation), ready to destroy anything that stands in their way towards, well… Destruction. You might want to move aside.

• 10 new monster types and bosses

• 22 new city events
    full of tough moral choices
  • 10 items
    brought to the market through chests and scenarios
  • 24 Battle Goals
    to let down your group over whole new reasons

You will be able to access the DLC through Gloomhaven’s story campaign, unlocking Jaws of the Lion’s missions after the second campaign scenario. Alternatively, you will be able to play with the new mercenaries and items in the Guildmaster and Story campaigns.

Jaws of the Lion can be played solo or in Coop mode for up to four players.

To access The Jaws of the Lion content in multiplayer Coop every player has to own the DLC.

Frequently asked questions

Is the DLC going to be a standalone campaign?

No, you are able to integrate the content of the DLC (4 mercenaries, 10 items and 25 new scenarios) with a simple click of a button into an existing Story campaign without having to start over. Alternatively, all new Story campaigns will have all new mercenaries available from the start and the new scenario content available after core mission 2.

Note - DLC enabled save games cannot be reverted to non-DLC games.

If you play in the Guildmaster mode, once converting the save or starting a new game the 4 mercenaries will be immediately available and the items will be added to various treasure tables.

How long is the game going to be at launch?

You can expect about 30+ hours to finish the main campaign.

How many players can play together online?

You will be able to play online up to 4 players, the same as the base game. Once a saved game is converted to be DLC compatible, all players will require the DLC to be able to join.
When starting a new campaign you will have the option to activate Jaws of the Lion or play with the base game only.

Can we expect further updates / DLCs after that?

Although we cannot share anything at this point, we will keep supporting the game after the release of Jaws of the Lion.

How many languages will be supported on Jaws of the Lion?

All the languages of the base game will be supported.

On which platforms will Jaws of the Lion be released?

The DLC will be available on Steam and GoG for Windows & MacOS.

JOIN THE GLOOMHAVEN COMMUNITY
we cool

As you venture through the lands of Gloomhaven in the newly released board game campaign, share with us your thoughts, screenshots, gameplay and virtually anything that you please on Twitter.
We also post fun content (*meeeeemes*) and share tips & tricks!

You can also join our dedicated Discord server here: discord.gg/gloomhaven to receive help and advice, meet other players and discuss any topic you want!
You will be received with tremendous friendliness and warmth!

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gloomhaven is shit because of its inane dedication to rushing the player forward through everything. I'm not here to speed run some mediocre game.

Skdursh

Savant
I recently picked up the tabletop version of this a few weeks ago and have been having a great time with it, although I'm probably going to be passing on the upcoming Frosthaven release as from what I've seen the creator has succumbed to retardation over the past few years since the original games release. Is the PC version (of Gloomhaven) a 1-to-1 gameplay conversion and does it have any unique aspects or new campaign that would make it worth picking up?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The gameplay is 99% accurate to the tabletop version, the differences are so miniscule that you probably won't ever notice them. As for additional content, there is an additional campaign called Guildmaster Mode (iirc) that was what we played during EA before they gave us the tabletop campaign with the full release. Guildmaster Mode is still available, so there you go.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I recently picked up the tabletop version of this a few weeks ago and have been having a great time with it, although I'm probably going to be passing on the upcoming Frosthaven release as from what I've seen the creator has succumbed to retardation over the past few years since the original games release. Is the PC version (of Gloomhaven) a 1-to-1 gameplay conversion and does it have any unique aspects or new campaign that would make it worth picking up?
Care to elaborate what kind of retardation? I need to know that because I like this game (pc version, at least) and It would be great to know when to stop buying dlcs and sequels.

Skdursh

Savant
Care to elaborate what kind of retardation? I need to know that because I like this game (pc version, at least) and It would be great to know when to stop buying dlcs and sequels.
The creator of Gloomhaven is this guy named Isaac Childres and everything released so far for specifically Gloomhaven (Gloomhaven, Jaws of the Lion and Forgotten Circles) is fine. The problem starts to arise with the new game / expansion to the game-world he's been working on called "Frosthaven" which is supposed to be released at some point in the near future (although it's been delayed many times since the original Kickstarter happened). Throughout the development of Frosthaven, Isaac seems to have fallen in with the "woke" crowd, has hired a "cultural consultant" for the new release to help him make sure no one is offended by anything and also put out a statement on the Kickstarter not to long ago where he essentially called everyone who doesn't support "Black Lives Matter" a racist who hates Black people and is now one of those types of woke TTRPG newfags who assert that Orcs are supposedly derogatory representations of Black people, ect. So as a result he spoke on how he's taking the game in a new direction where there will be no "racism" or "bad" races and blah, blah, blah, blah and all the rest of the typical woketard talking points, ect. i.e. a game world where everyone is the same, everyone has the same strengths, there are no differences at all between all the fantasy races and everything is booooooorrrriing.

Sacibengala

Prophet
The creator of Gloomhaven is this guy named Isaac Childres and everything released so far for specifically Gloomhaven (Gloomhaven, Jaws of the Lion and Forgotten Circles) is fine. The problem starts to arise with the new game / expansion to the game-world he's been working on called "Frosthaven" which is supposed to be released at some point in the near future (although it's been delayed many times since the original Kickstarter happened). Throughout the development of Frosthaven, Isaac seems to have fallen in with the "woke" crowd, has hired a "cultural consultant" for the new release to help him make sure no one is offended by anything and also put out a statement on the Kickstarter not to long ago where he essentially called everyone who doesn't support "Black Lives Matter" a racist who hates Black people and is now one of those types of woke TTRPG newfags who assert that Orcs are supposedly derogatory representations of Black people, ect. So as a result he spoke on how he's taking the game in a new direction where there will be no "racism" or "bad" races and blah, blah, blah, blah and all the rest of the typical woketard talking points, ect. i.e. a game world where everyone is the same, everyone has the same strengths, there are no differences at all between all the fantasy races and everything is booooooorrrriing.
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't aware of that. I sure wouldnt want to be in the kickstarter backer shoes right now, as these delays can be related with this new worldview of his.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Don't want to start General Discussion kind of shit but the name of the guy is.... Isaac. Probably just a coincidence.
:smug:

Back to Gloomhaven. I have the boardgame version but i never could find time to start a campaign with friends, not as much time as we used to have. I already know that it's very faithful to the original. How is the game in multiplayer in practice, any problems that i should expect?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom