Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Testownia

As I said before, PP is an achievement in character functionality, but imo the definitive Metal Gear experiences are MG2: Solid Snake*, MGS1*, and 3. MGS1 probably feels the most dated**, mostly due to poor camera placement, but the anime-Tom Clancy+Escape From New York-by-way-of-early-James-Cameron vibe is cool af. Ground Zeroes had a whiff of this and i thought PP would carry it further, but no you are out playing in the dirt most of the time, and Snake Eater did that better. MGS3 is probably the best overall, but I prefer this series taking place in large bases. MG2 is just great as a stealth action game under the limitations of its time. Definitely holds up.

* and by extension, MGS:Ghost Babel which is MG2 gameplay and presentation with MGS1 aesthetic.

**if anyone has played MGS1 recently, I'd like to see your opinion on if/how it holds up.

Metal Gear Solid is the most overrated piece of shit I've played in recent memory:
1. Not even really a stealth game, first and foremost. The "stealth mechanics" are EXTREMELY simplistic. Friendly reminder this came out the same year as Thief: The Dark Project, so age is no excuse.
2. Extremely short and linear.
3. Constantly interrupted by cutscenes.
4. Terrible writing; characters constantly repeating the same bits of information.
5. Awful level design - basically a set of corridors.
6. The entire plot is based on the fact that Kojima didn't understand the basics of genetics, and was too stupid/arrogant to check/ask someone.
7. Plagiarised main theme and several other pieces of score, so even music isn't a saving grace.

Anyone claiming that this game "aged well" has nostalgia goggles as thick as jars.
You are wrong.

No.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As I said before, PP is an achievement in character functionality, but imo the definitive Metal Gear experiences are MG2: Solid Snake*, MGS1*, and 3. MGS1 probably feels the most dated**, mostly due to poor camera placement, but the anime-Tom Clancy+Escape From New York-by-way-of-early-James-Cameron vibe is cool af. Ground Zeroes had a whiff of this and i thought PP would carry it further, but no you are out playing in the dirt most of the time, and Snake Eater did that better. MGS3 is probably the best overall, but I prefer this series taking place in large bases. MG2 is just great as a stealth action game under the limitations of its time. Definitely holds up.

* and by extension, MGS:Ghost Babel which is MG2 gameplay and presentation with MGS1 aesthetic.

**if anyone has played MGS1 recently, I'd like to see your opinion on if/how it holds up.

Metal Gear Solid is the most overrated piece of shit I've played in recent memory:
1. Not even really a stealth game, first and foremost. The "stealth mechanics" are EXTREMELY simplistic. Friendly reminder this came out the same year as Thief: The Dark Project, so age is no excuse.
4. Terrible writing; characters constantly repeating the same bits of information.
6. The entire plot is based on the fact that Kojima didn't understand the basics of genetics, and was too stupid/arrogant to check/ask someone.
7. Plagiarised main theme and several other pieces of score, so even music isn't a saving grace.

Anyone claiming that this game "aged well" has nostalgia goggles as thick as jars.
You are wrong.

No.
No, you are wrong.

I mean, there is truth in there, but none of them make it a bad or overrrated game.
1) Not even a stealth game, Thief is better - Well duh, nobody says it is a pure stealth game like Thief. It's a stealth-action game, like the title says: MGS - Tactical Espionage Action
2) Extremely short and linear. For a newcomer, a first playthrough probably lasts for 6-8 hours, which is a decent length for a game. Linear? Kinda, but who says that every game has to be open world?
3) Cutscenes - Subjective, some people love them, some not.
4) Terrible writing - Subjective.
5) Awful level design - This is just not true.
6) Kojima not understanding genetics - LOL, the game is not a documentary, it doesn't have to adhere to scientific facts about genetics
7) Plagiarised theme - True, but who cares about this if the theme is awesome and fits the game? Let the composers worry about plagarism.

The only thing which didn't age well is the controls in this game, the other elements are still awesome.

Last edited:

Testownia

You are wrong.

No.
No, you are wrong.

I am right. Also, you cowardly edited your post, like a woman. And those arguments are horrible, also like women.

Last edited by a moderator:

Testownia

MadMaxHellfire I'm sorry, but anyone trying to find "plot holes" in the Metal Gear Solid series, or pointing out that something in the plot is "retarded" has clearly missed the point.

The whole series is nonsensical, and based upon retcons upon retcons upon retcons, with inconsistencies in tone and contradictions in events up to the High Heavens. If you're playing the series searching for a tight story, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Hell, as much as someone has been spamming this notion, basically you should treat "Solid Snake" games and "Big Boss" games as two separate timelines, otherwise the events presented make absolutely no sense.

Psquit

Arcane
How the fuck did you get village idiot tag that fast?

Metal gear solid 1 is kino. It has its problems but ¿what game doesn't?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This game just received a new udapte recently simply for user agreements.
https://www.gamesradar.com/metal-ge...y-begins-and-ends-at-updated-user-agreements/
:negative:

Looks like they're working on another update? https://steamdb.info/app/287700/history/

Interestingly, several game stores simultaneously started weeklong sale on MGS games. If MGS is one of this week's special deals on Steam (will be started in 10 hours), maybe, just maybe, they have something to announce this week? (I think there's murmuring about MGS 1 remake.)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
https://www.gamesradar.com/metal-ge...y-begins-and-ends-at-updated-user-agreements/

Looks like they're working on another update? https://steamdb.info/app/287700/history/

Interestingly, several game stores simultaneously started weeklong sale on MGS games. If MGS is one of this week's special deals on Steam (will be started in 10 hours), maybe, just maybe, they have something to announce this week? (I think there's murmuring about MGS 1 remake.)
I just want a fucking MGS3 PC version FFS. Is this too much to ask?

Citizen

(I think there's murmuring about MGS 1 remake.)

Another one?
274px-%D0%9E%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%BA%D0%B0_MGS_The_Twin_Snakes.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

So there was an update. While there's no patchnotes on Steam, apparently PS4 patchnote says just "stability improvements".

Are they working towards something bigger or what?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

So there was an update. While there's no patchnotes on Steam, apparently PS4 patchnote says just "stability improvements".

Are they working towards something bigger or what?
I think they keep updating every time the FOB events change.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Bought this on Steam sales, pressed the "skip cutscene" button for like 11 times hoping there would be gameplay other than crawling around at a snail pace. Bla bla bla, evil military dudes shoot people, idc, gameplay non-existent for a full half hour and

REFUND.

What a borefest this "game" is. Even if my refund is granted I can't take back the half hour of my life I wasted watching some Jap suck his own dick non-stop. All storyfags should hang.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Shame because after that first mission there is hardly any story with nothing but gameplay. I just felt like pointing that out because what you are saying is bullshit. MGS V has a lot of issues but long storyfag related cutscenes are not the problem.

This isn't fake news Rusty. The game has so much gameplay it lacks story. Whether you like it or not is another thing.

Last edited:
Unwanted

†††

Patron
Shame because after that first mission there is hardly any story with nothing but gameplay. I just felt like pointing that out because what you are saying is bullshit. MGS V has a lot of issues but long storyfag related cutscenes are not the problem.

His post almost feel like trolling. "I dropped it just before the game opened up, even though everybody knows the prologue is handhold-y and cinematic". Didn't even bother to play Ground Zeroes to get a taste of the gameplay.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I can understand not liking the prologue but it is a prologue. I hated it too. Without Snakebite I would not play MGS V again.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bought this on Steam sales, pressed the "skip cutscene" button for like 11 times hoping there would be gameplay other than crawling around at a snail pace. Bla bla bla, evil military dudes shoot people, idc, gameplay non-existent for a full half hour and

REFUND.

What a borefest this "game" is. Even if my refund is granted I can't take back the half hour of my life I wasted watching some Jap suck his own dick non-stop. All storyfags should hang.
Seriously suggest you give it a try at least till the first mission.
If not, oh well.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron

REFUND.

The intro sucks balls, actual game starts 3? hours in.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Not even close to 3 hours. The mission to save Miller is right after the Prologue and it is non linear. The Prologue doesn't even take 45 minutes. There are no long drawn out cutscenes because most of the fucking plot is in hours and hours of shitty cassettes so can all the fags that are talking about MGS 1-4 please get their facts straight?

It just hurts my brain. This game is about gameplay first and foremost to the detriment of everything else, but you need to have enough patience to sit through the intro.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
actual game starts 3? hours in.

40 minutes top without skipping cutscenes. Yeah it's a lot, but c'mon, this is a game that provides hundreds (if not thousands) of gameplay hours. Just trudge through the prologue.
I meant the actual fun-loop of running around doing missions and unlocking new toys, this takes a little while to get going.

Without Snakebite I would not play MGS V again.
Game is great but very much this.

Ezekiel

Arcane
3 you meant.

MGS3 was when Kojima started listening to the fans too much. Everybody complained that the story was too complicated, so here's a simpler one. The story is kind of dull from the beginning of Operation Snake Eater to Groznyj Grad. The bosses lacked the characterization of Foxhound and Dead Cell. They barely said anything and their stories were relegated to optional radio conversations. The healing and camouflage menus were more tedious than anything. Could have been integrated with the gameplay better, rather than halting the game. Still a damn good game, but not top Kojima.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Nanomachines vampires.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom