Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Black Angel

Arcane
For END you really just need 15 for the entire base game. There is no big stamina issue in this game, since there's no armor. Later on you can increase to 25-30 if only because you have the points and want to swing like some drunken asshole for longer periods of time. If you keep your end low you can focus on attack stats as needed.
If you're going down the path of IT'S HAMMER TIME!, then you're going to need some extra END. 30 is fine, I guess, but I like to have a bit of extra for that one bad positioning/timing so 35-40 is nice. Sure, that means sacrificing some stat points allocation, but since IT'S HAMMER TIME that means Dex Skill is for fuckign faggot in this case.

Who uses the Chikage by the in-game lore? The Vileblood folks?
Should be, since the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst uses it.

One thing I really liked about bloodborne was that it had more "puzzle/spectacle bosses" like Rom, Witches and the crazed scholar. Those always tend to be more memorable to me than things like orphan or bsb. It's a shame these don't seem to be appreciated by the fanbase at large, and that From seems to be moving away from them (I can't recall a single boss like this from sekiro or ds3).
They're called gimmick bosses, at least that's what that they're called here and by some of the Souls content creators I watched. But I'm not sure if Rom can be called a gimmick boss, per se.

But as NJClaw pointed out, the gimmick bosses are still here. At least they're still in Sekiro, and they're some of the best out there. I also actually liked Yhorm a lot, in that even though he's supposedly a gimmick boss, he can be fought normally....and an NPC that could help you even wields the gimmick tool to deal with him.
I guess you could also consider the Armored Warrior miniboss as one of those. Then there's the Demon of Hatred, where the puzzle is figuring out that the Finger Whistle breaks him, but considering it a puzzle fight is a bit of a stretch.
Yeah, it's a stretch calling DoH a gimmick boss, since by that logic, most Sekiro bosses would be gimmick bosses since you can figure out the Headless and Shichimen Warrior are also weak to the Malcontent, or Headless Ape weak to the Loaded Spear, or the Seven Spear weak to Mikiri Counter, etc etc.

As for the dragon, I barely recall that boss at all, even after seeing the screenshot.
Dude, you need to replay the game, then. Divine Dragon is hands down, THE best gimmick boss that Fromsoft has ever conceived by far (though I'm not counting Demon's Souls here since I'm yet to actually play it)

15:11 for the Divine Dragon fight
from ONGBAL here, I learned that you can, in fact, deflect DD's attacks. I thought it wasn't possible because, you know, it's a goddamn dragon.

Also, that you can, in fact, 'normally' damage it with the Mortal Blade. I don't know if it's the matter of reach, or if it just makes sense for the Mortal Blade to be the only thing capable of scratching a (supposedly) immortal beings like the Divine Dragon.
But my favorite has got to be Micolash Cage, now that I think about it. To some people, he might not be a gimmick boss, since you still need to 'normally' fight him in the end. He even came in 2 phases (the 2nd phase would be when he starts becoming more 'aggressive' and casts A Call Beyond). But the fact that he's *running* away from you can be called a gimmick....and it can be broken (sequence break?)

7:05 start of Micolash fight
9:00 the (sequence?) break I'm talking about
Which shows why it's a bad idea to just take a system from a different game and shove it into another game because you are too lazy to recode it from scratch. DS3 is literally a Bloodborne total conversion.
I agree with you, sir, but....this is the Bloodborne thread.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Dude, you need to replay the game, then. Divine Dragon is hands down, THE best gimmick boss that Fromsoft has ever conceived by far (though I'm not counting Demon's Souls here since I'm yet to actually play it)
Nah. I have a vague recollection of the dragon boss being a pretty spectacle with grabbing lightning with your sword and stuff. But I didn't like sekiro, so there's no way I'll replay it.

But my favorite has got to be Micolash
He's great, I'd definitely count him as a gimmick boss.

Black Angel

Arcane
I have a vague recollection of the dragon boss being a pretty spectacle with grabbing lightning with your sword and stuff.
It's precisely the audiovisual that helps elevate the DD as a gimmick boss, IMO; you're still quite engaged with him on the gameplay level, but how it looks and sounds helps digest the fight.

But yea, if you don't like Sekiro in the first place, it can't be helped.

Machocruz

Arcane
Polished off Rom. Cake boss. Did die a couple times because I got greedy with wailing on her. But still a pussball, redditors are insane if they think this compares to SoY. And I did bother killing all the spiders because I anticipated attacks clipping through her body bullshit, and I didn't want them around to disrupt my offense in general

Before that I stopped by Cainhurst. Saw the amount of damage I wasn't doing to the welcoming party and nope'd out. Later for that.

I had fun fighting Merciless Watchers in the dungeon. Just straight up goon violence, no frills. Kirkhammer is too much fun.

Silva

Arcane
Watch out Machocruz : the bugs outside Cainhurst castle are disproportionately tough. Don't try to kill them all, just one or two and run for the castle entrance (to the left side of the map). Inside the castle enemies are much more manageable, and there's a treasure trove of stuff there.

Silva

Arcane
What different builds are there to try? I think I've tried everything I can think of, from pure functional Str/Skl/Bld/Arc/ builds, to fashion-lorefag stuff like Powder Kegs member, Church Plague Doctors, etc.

Some ideas:

- the fabled "99 Arcane". Done an arcanist once (in university professor clothes, nice build) but more balanced and not as focused as this. Would probably go with Choir outfit this time ("The Choir Renegade").

- Iaito master from the east. Yamamura's clothes + Chikage. 99 Bloodtinge on NG trying to 1-hit slash everyone.

- Yharnamite Musketeer: repeating pistol + reiterpallasch for non-stop shooting + bonemarrow stock + some Elisabethan outfit (suggestions?).

- Dream assassin: female (for thar sick female-only Yharnam Hunter coat) + posion gemmed twin daggers + that powder that makes the player invisible.

Gimme ideas , folks.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What different builds are there to try? I think I've tried everything I can think of, from pure functional Str/Skl/Bld/Arc/ builds, to fashion-lorefag stuff like Powder Kegs member, Church Plague Doctors, etc.

Some ideas:

- the fabled "99 Arcane". Done an arcanist once (in university professor clothes, nice build) but more balanced and not as focused as this. Would probably go with Choir outfit this time ("The Choir Renegade").

- Iaito master from the east. Yamamura's clothes + Chikage. 99 Bloodtinge on NG trying to 1-hit slash everyone.

- Yharnamite Musketeer: repeating pistol + reiterpallasch for non-stop shooting + bonemarrow stock + some Elisabethan outfit (suggestions?).

- Dream assassin: female (for thar sick female-only coat that's cool as fuck) + twin daggers + lots of that powder that makes the player invisible.

Gimme ideas , folks.

Upper class duelist with that faggy wig from the Cainhurst outfits, wielding the Rakuyo, usually in dual wielding mode.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder if a poison build is viable.
In a souls game, outside of very specific scenarios? Nope.

Go for an item/offhand only build. With a cane strictly for walking.

That sounds awful.

Anyway, that's the main problem with Bloodborne imo - you're pretty limited on builds. At least everything that's there is cool.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I wonder if a poison build is viable.
In a souls game, outside of very specific scenarios? Nope.

Go for an item/offhand only build. With a cane strictly for walking.

That sounds awful.

Anyway, that's the main problem with Bloodborne imo - you're pretty limited on builds. At least everything that's there is cool.
I think it could be fine. Offhand means you can still use pistols to parry, and "item" means you can use every spell in the game. You'd be a bit limited by bullets, but blood bullets are a thing so I don't think it would be that bad. Having enough juice to kill bosses might be an issue though. It's definitely some kind of challenge build though.

Fatty

Augur

Gimme ideas , folks.

A few off the top

Werewolf - Beast Claws + Beast's Embrace rune (I didn't actually like this one, charging beasthood annoyed me)

Bloody Mary - Maria outfit + Rakuyo + Evelyn + red hair. Rakuyo is FUN AS SHIT. Spin stab stab stab stab. Switch to pimp cane whip when more reach is beneficial. My current playthrough. I decided to just keep leveling all the things. Current BL close to 200, getting everything to 50 then Arcane to 99 because why not. Funnily enough, when battling Lady Maria on NG+ (since you can't get Rakuyo until after her) it only took me 3 tries to beat her. Rakuyo with well-timed spin attack and opportunistic fast stabs takes the edge off against "human" enemies.

Reaper - Burial Blade + whatever reaper-ish robes you want + Executioner's Gloves

Cauliflower - Milkweed Rune + Kos Parasite + Augur + Madman set. Probably Amy Arm too.

Machocruz

Arcane
Bloodborne has a cinematic patina that their other games don't have, and I think it's because Sony lent them development assistance. Sekiro is beautiful to me as well, because of art direction, but it doesn't have that layer of sheen that BB does.

Digimon

Educated
ayyeXJi.png

Glad to see the community is business as usual.

Hmm…

FKd3JcLVUAEngaJ

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The first boss is the beast you fight on the bridge. Father What'shisname is the first mandatory boss. :rpgcodex:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom