Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mech SRPGs?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Titans of Steel: Warring Suns pc
I see that's a sequel, is there an issue with the original or is it just not as good as the sequel?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Titans of Steel: Warring Suns pc
I see that's a sequel, is there an issue with the original or is it just not as good as the sequel?
Choose the sequel because:
-Windows only,so no messing with emulation
-Free/legal abandonware
-Looks to be a updated version of the original in terms of mech features
-Not a lot of information/reviews about the original

spekkio

Arcane
I went ahead and gave Ring of Red's tutorial mission a go and, while I find the setting interesting, the combat seems quite tedious. How does it get better later?
You get 3 "soldier crews" per mecha. These guys / gals have their own skills and can perform various actions both as "mecha crew" (faster reload) and on the ground (lay / clean mines, etc).
Another important thing are "pilot skills" (like insta-reload or stronger hit), which are crucial when dealing with late-game enemies.
Also, all 4 types of wanzers AFWs have totally different uses (close-combat mecha-killers, mobile but fragile hit&run trolls, regular multi-purpose units and low-mobile but high-range and high-hitting artillery).

Shit's still a bit tedious TBH, but that can be said about almost any tactical game. I had "Turbo" button bound to the gamepad to FF longer encounters.

Minor being, it's bloody short. ten missions, I think and that's it~ For a PS2 game it's too bloody short.
I may be in a minority here, but I think the game has perfect lenght (for its simplicity). Some japtacticals are just too long (worse Fire Emblems) and too complex (Disgaea and too many other examples) for their own good.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I went ahead and gave Ring of Red's tutorial mission a go and, while I find the setting interesting, the combat seems quite tedious. How does it get better later?
You get 3 "soldier crews" per mecha. These guys / gals have their own skills and can perform various actions both as "mecha crew" (faster reload) and on the ground (lay / clean mines, etc).
Another important thing are "pilot skills" (like insta-reload or stronger hit), which are crucial when dealing with late-game enemies.
Also, all 4 types of wanzers AFWs have totally different uses (close-combat mecha-killers, mobile but fragile hit&run trolls, regular multi-purpose units and low-mobile but high-range and high-hitting artillery).

Shit's still a bit tedious TBH, but that can be said about almost any tactical game. I had "Turbo" button bound to the gamepad to FF longer encounters.

Minor being, it's bloody short. ten missions, I think and that's it~ For a PS2 game it's too bloody short.
I may be in a minority here, but I think the game has perfect lenght (for its simplicity). Some japtacticals are just too long (worse Fire Emblems) and too complex (Disgaea and too many other examples) for their own good.

I don't know that I'd call Disgaea too complex. Its problem (imo), like in many JSRPGs, is that they're too pointlessly grindy. Like when you have classes that you unlock by having level 999 in one or more, or even all classes in the game. And then that class starts at level 1. It's like, bitch, I completed the game 500 hours ago. I'm not doing this.

wishbonetail

Learned
I used to like Front Mission1 on SNES and would've recommended it but, sadly, I wasn't able to find English translation without game breaking bug near the end. This was awhile ago, maybe things have changed.
Regarding MissionforceCyberstorm. I got an impression that elite story missions were nearly unbeatable without thorough mundane mission grind, so I lost interest. Maybe I was doing it wrong, who knows.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
I used to like Front Mission1 on SNES and would've recommended it but, sadly, I wasn't able to find English translation without game breaking bug near the end. This was awhile ago, maybe things have changed.
Regarding MissionforceCyberstorm. I got an impression that elite story missions were nearly unbeatable without thorough mundane mission grind, so I lost interest. Maybe I was doing it wrong, who knows.
At worst one can play the DS version.

spekkio

Arcane
I've finished the Snes version + this translation ages ago (2007 judging by my save) without any problems.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
37767-Vanguard_Bandits_[U]-2.jpg

Haven't played it in a long long time. But it's great

Reinhardt

Arcane
Last mecha animu i watched was Cross Ange. I heard it's in one of the previous SRW games. Should i play it, so i can too "hey, i actually know these people"?

The Decline

Arcane
Last mecha animu i watched was Cross Ange. I heard it's in one of the previous SRW games. Should i play it, so i can too "hey, i actually know these people"?

Well it was kind of funny to see the main antagonist from Cross Ange try to make a harem out of multiple series women only for them to collectively tell him to fuck off when you defeat him. And the hand waving explanation for how the Cross Ange mecha can work in space.

Silentstorm

Learned
Yep, there is one whole part which is basically people telling off the guy, Cross Ange also suprisingly gets quite a bit of plot...you know, for a series that seems to be generally considered awful by mecha fans.

Then again, new entries tend to get their stories being retold and get a lot of attention alongside Gundam, with older series just being there if they don't get the Daitarn 3 treatment, which is a series that appears in a ton of games but always post-plot, so you can have one extra generally really decent mecha and the writers only have to make the pilot state in one or two lines "boy, remember when i saved the world?" and that being it.

In SRW 30, that honor goes to Combattler V, pratically everyone states they are heroes, they talk about their fights and training, and they even reference some stuff like Hyoma having been in an accident or losing his arms in a sword fight but replacing them with mechanical arms, but that's all in the past, mostly so you get a decent super robot.

...Well, in fairness, to compensate, Combattler V is the one and only mecha in SRW 30 that is in the main game and gets a combination attack with one of the DLC mechas, a mecha that is not in-universe part of Combattler V and they never interacted animation wise:

Guess it makes up for no plot?

Silentstorm

Learned
Whoever came up with the name "Combattler" should be shot on principle.
Heh, you gotta name something, honestly, Combattler V is an example of SRW just coming up short in some ways, because that show had a cool twist that never gets used or even referenced in SRW, basically, the evil alien empire...turns out to just be a group of well connected terrorists with some great scientists and want to conquer Earth and other planets and establish power and then maybe conquer their home planet.

And by the end we see Earth making a connection with the actual planet, with the actual ruler even coming to establish diplomacy and by the end the Combattler crew and aliens are fighting against basically space Al Qaeda, but the way SRW tells it, you'd think the entire alien race is just naturally evil and that Earth never formed a good relationship with an alien race, you'd think SRW at some point would have the Combattler crew being like "wait a minute, we actually know the king of an alien empire and he owes us favors, maybe he can lend some resources or giant robots to help us!" or something...never mentioned that because of Combattler V, the good guys should have a whole alien army as allies or at least that Earth has some okay connections to space, because SRW treats it as always aliens having been terrible in the backstory.

It's nothing that ruins the series, but it always just felt odd that they never even try to use this when Combattler V is in a game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mess around with the mech editor. They were going to release it next week, but went early. I hope the full game is good.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Started Super Robot Wars V for Ange, Fumoffu and Space Battleship Yamato - at least i know them. Pirated, of course, because they don't want to sell it to me. Will probably buy 30 later, because i'm actually enjoying V.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Stopped caring about perfect sr points tho after last enemy robot with 32 hp left evaded two 90+% attacks and slightly scratched Yamato in mission you need to protect it. Will do it on second playthrough - looks like there is lot of branching in the game. Still getting enough sr points to keep game in hard mode so it's ok.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Well it was kind of funny to see the main antagonist from Cross Ange try to make a harem out of multiple series women only for them to collectively tell him to fuck off when you defeat him. And the hand waving explanation for how the Cross Ange mecha can work in space.
Best girl Hilda bitchlapped him with POWER OF LOVE and suddenly went from lvl 40 to 53. Now she's my highest level character, next closest one being protagonist with lvl 43...

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is the combat good in Super Robot Wars 30? In Gundam Crossray I eventually got put off by the grind, and the lack of plot (I mean, there was not even the pretense of a plot, you replayed anime battles with characters that were not acknowledged...) .
Is there some mech/pilot customization?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom