Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Someone is remaking Arcanum in Morrowind...

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
World needs more Enderal and Chronicles of Myrtana: Archolos. Less of....this

Skyrim's and Gothic's engines are begging to be used. Great opportunity for any team of modders to prove themselves before making their own studio. Those that get hired by Bethesda/CDPR were in for the money only. They will model 3D dildos for 5000$/month, NOT create new worlds, evolve RPG design and explore human nature

Last edited:

ironmask

Arbiter
I know there are more big gothic mods in development. Sailors of the storm is one of them.

Falksi

Arcane
Just incredible that they'd choose to discard one of the most charming and appealing elements about Arcanum in the first place, never mind think Morrowind's aesthetics are the best direction to take it in.

"I lykes Arcanumz. I lykes Morrowind. Letz puts them togeva!!"

Already a strong contender for most retarded gaming decision of 2022. Hopefully the modders next thought is to combine his love for shooting guns with his passion for ear wax removal.

Last edited:

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I will never understand these types of projects. Why not put all that effort into actually making a new game?
I see some reasons:
- The dev only wants to hone his technical skills, not the creative ones. Also, if it was so easy, devs in studios would be constantly running off to make their own games.
- If something successful comes out, there is an immediate audience for it without having to promote the result as much as if it was a new thing.
- If nothing comes out of it, the losses are smaller than if you spent months writing the story first.

With that said, I don't have a fucking clue why he wants to use the Morrowind engine when Morrowind itself is being remade in numerous projects to other, more modern engines.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Is this some kind of hype train of bashing Arcanum or Morrowind for its combat, which is the same as in Fallout or MightandMagic? Its an RPG, you point at thing, dices roll, thing dies, you get xp and levelup, end of story. Maybe, there should be siderolls and dodges in Morrowind like in, you know, Dark Souls The-Roll-Playing-Game and Arcanum should've JA2 tactical combat I dunno.

Arcanum's combat isn't actually that terrible.

Its encounter design though? Oh boy.

Oh boy.
And literally no AI whatsoever.

wishbonetail

Learned
Is this some kind of hype train of bashing Arcanum or Morrowind for its combat, which is the same as in Fallout or MightandMagic? Its an RPG, you point at thing, dices roll, thing dies, you get xp and levelup, end of story. Maybe, there should be siderolls and dodges in Morrowind like in, you know, Dark Souls The-Roll-Playing-Game and Arcanum should've JA2 tactical combat I dunno.

Oh boy.
I still do not understand why Arcanum gets all the shits here. I've got an impression that all of this great stuff like PST, NWN, VMtB, Fallout, MM6 have something of a placeholder combat, which is just enough to try char builds or cool toys on some stupid zombies.

Brancaleone

Liturgist

Oh boy.
I still do not understand why Arcanum gets all the shits here. I've got an impression that all of this great stuff like PST, NWN, VMtB, Fallout, MM6 have something of a placeholder combat, which is just enough to try char builds or cool toys on some stupid zombies.
Arcanum is one of my favourite games. But no point in denying that its combat is the worst of any rpg worth playing. The combat system itself has great potential (at least in tb mode), but it remains completely unfulfilled due to horrendous encounter design and literally one page of AI consisting entirely of purely random basic actions from a pool of three/four (which explains why you end up being punched by magic users most of the time).

deem

Savant
Broke: remaking Arcanum in the Morrowind engine.
Woke: remaking Morrowind in the Arcanum engine.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
This is an awful idea, because followers in Morrowind are annoying at best, and generally ruin any quest they're involved in. Unless you're going to change Arcanum so much you might as well just slap an inspired by label on it, this sounds like its going to be a nightmare to play.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
Arcanum is one of my favourite games. But no point in denying that its combat is the worst of any rpg worth playing.
Let me tell you about Ultima IV.
Not even close, and without need to take into account the hardware limitations.

Ultima IV's combat is tedious, Arcanum's combat, if you take it seriously, ends up making you feel stupid.

Generic-Giant-Spider

THE POWER OF TODD HOWARD KNOWS NO LIMITATIONS

BOW FOOLS AND SUBMIT YOUR FLESH TO THE PROPHET

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
This shit makes The Chronicles of Myrtana look like Rdr 2 :hahano:.

Compare.
50319-1633717799-1239351508.png

gothic2screenshot2021x8jf6.png

What a joke textures look like something pulled straight out of early 1990s they are lower quality than original textures from Arcanum :lol:

Last edited:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Morrowind in Arcanum would have been a better idea
Not really, first-person perspective is a fundamental aspect of Morrowind, unlike Arcanum's isometric perspective that ruins what should be cramped and quite vertical industrial cities (not that this mod is doing Arcanum any favor).

THE POWER OF TODD HOWARD KNOWS NO LIMITATIONS

BOW FOOLS AND SUBMIT YOUR FLESH TO THE PROPHET
You're silly!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What a joke textures look like something pulled straight out of early 1990s they are lower quality than original textures from Arcanum :lol:

They're also lower quality than anything in actual Morrowind. But worse than the textures is the architecture: low detail houses that are all shaped the same, too large spaces between them, etc. It makes ALL the mistakes you can make when designing a 3D space.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom