Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Btw Rean, I know the stand of other posters of this, but I wanna know your opinion: who is Best Girl in Trails?

In the whole series? Tough to say. There are many aspects to what would constitute best girl when you have a story as deep as this.

Character-wise, KeA is definitely up there. She has endless possibilities for great development. Schera for Sky. Arianhrod probably has the most tragic story in Cold Steel, needed more screentime.

Based on looks, Rixia and Emma.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Thank you to my ardent fan, Marx-93, who wrote this extensive defense of my character that I discovered on another site. :salute:

image.png

I'll go ahead and disagree with my fan regarding writing in the epilogue, of course. I've made it clear that I thought it was a bit disappointing.

Jinn I went back to re-read our past exchange about Osborne. My views haven't really changed on the matter, although now that a few months have passed and my thoughts have settled, I believe I can pinpoint the source of my frustration: the character is simply underwritten for how complex he's meant to be, and his appearances in CS4 were too quick and rushed. I understand that with how many characters the game ended up featuring, it'd be nigh impossible to give everyone extensive screen time, but I believe Osborne needed way more exposition. I need a deeper understanding of his history, motives and interaction with the evil entity.

I'd also like to know your thoughts regarding Rean/Osborne's relationship. :)
In CS2 Rean spends most of the game telling and showing how much he appreciates his adoptive father, Baron Schwarzer. That relationship is completely eclipsed by sudden love and admiration for Osborne in CS4 (which culminates in the finale). Throughout CS3 and especially at the end, Rean's hate for Osborne seems unsurpassable, so the 180 he does in CS4 seems absolutely bonkers, even when you take into account him finally understanding Osborne's story.

PS. Oh, just an interesting completely unrelated tidbit that hadn't crossed my mind before: the reason George insisted on being called 'Georg' while he was 'evil'. Georg was the name of the Ouroboros Professor in the TitS series, but what's the association with George? Hmmmm...
Oh, and this might lead me down yet another rabbit-hole of a rant regarding the Ouroboros masks and some of those specific characters' development (Angelica, George, Crow). What the hell was that all about? Calling it cheesy would be doing it a service. I don't know if you have any different thoughts on the matter.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Jinn I went back to re-read our past exchange about Osborne. My views haven't really changed on the matter, although now that a few months have passed and my thoughts have settled, I believe I can pinpoint the source of my frustration: the character is simply underwritten for how complex he's meant to be, and his appearances in CS4 were too quick and rushed. I understand that with how many characters the game ended up featuring, it'd be nigh impossible to give everyone extensive screen time, but I believe Osborne needed way more exposition. I need a deeper understanding of his history, motives and interaction with the evil entity.

I'd also like to know your thoughts regarding Rean/Osborne's relationship. :)
In CS2 Rean spends most of the game telling and showing how much he appreciates his adoptive father, Baron Schwarzer. That relationship is completely eclipsed by sudden love and admiration for Osborne in CS4 (which culminates in the finale). Throughout CS3 and especially at the end, Rean's hate for Osborne seems unsurpassable, so the 180 he does in CS4 seems absolutely bonkers, even when you take into account him finally understanding Osborne's story.

PS. Oh, just an interesting completely unrelated tidbit that hadn't crossed my mind before: the reason George insisted on being called 'Georg' while he was 'evil'. Georg was the name of the Ouroboros Professor in the TitS series, but what's the association with George? Hmmmm...
Oh, and this might lead me down yet another rabbit-hole of a rant regarding the Ouroboros masks and some of those specific characters' development (Angelica, George, Crow). What the hell was that all about? Calling it cheesy would be doing it a service. I don't know if you have any different thoughts on the matter.
[/QUOTE]

Said character's written journal is one of the side bits in Trails of the Reverie.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Mishelam was probably the best part of CS4.
I liked how it was repeatedly teased in CS3 and when you get to visit it, it doesn't disappoint. Place came a long way since Azure.

956151.jpg

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
In a sense I prefer Trails dripping slowly to the west, otherwise I'd probably have no time to play anything else these days :negative:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Nayuta is out on Steam:

Only Japanese for now, English should be coming in 2023 with "additional updates", whatever that means.

I stalk the night
Patron
I've somehow missed it, but looks like Hajimari has also been out on Steam since August and Ao since last month. And Zero is coming out 22.12.2021. No english localization on any of them for now of course.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Maybe we'll get an early fan translation of Nayuta. I've been wanting to play that for a long time.

LJ40

Cipher
Is this Nayuta different from the PSP version? Or are the fan-translations that are available for the PSP version bad? There seem to be two different versions on that romantic compact disc site.

Riumedis

Novice
Is this Nayuta different from the PSP version? Or are the fan-translations that are available for the PSP version bad? There seem to be two different versions on that romantic compact disc site.
There are some differences: increase in resolution, AI upscaled textures, voice acting for some cutscenes, character portraits during dialog and the usual PC settings (borderless windows, basic AA options). The PSP fan-translation was translated using Google translate & DeepL, so their TL quality is not that great. The only translation worth trying is dackst version, since he at least tried to edit the machine TL.

Riumedis

Novice
I have played the Gagharv trilogy (A Tear of Vermillion, Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch and Song of the Ocean) on the PSP. I was really curious to try these games, since barely anyone is talking about them.

The Gagharv trilogy is similar to modern kiseki in that the stories are interconnected, they tend to share similar historical events and characters. Also A Tear of Vermillion feels like a prototype to FC and SC, since the side quest feels like bracer activities. The music is also nice to listen to. So far this sound somewhat decent, but there are two major issues with the Gagharv trilogy: the combat and localization.

You can summarize the combat in the trilogy with two words: slow and monotonous. Your character moves slowly to attack the enemy and there are no battles that provide any meaningful challenge. The only challenge the trilogy provides is seeing the gameover screen. I really recommend using PPSSPP fast forward function to speed-through battles.

The localization quality varies between a train wreck (A Tear of Vermillion), bad (Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch) and decent (Song of the Ocean). You will encounter run-on sentences, misspelled words, strange word choices and awkward sentence structure. In A Tear of Vermillion they managed to fuck-up string handling, since the text sometimes goes outside the textbox. It was entertaining to see the various ways Bandia Namco managed to fuck-up the localization of A Tear of Vermillion & Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch, but they did manage to improve with a Song of the Ocean. For example the biggest issue with the localization of Song of the Ocean is the switch-ups with “that’s” vs. “it’s”, which doesn’t feel like a major deal.

TL;DR play these games for bragging rights in weaboo threads.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I do love how Gagharv Trilogy was translated out of order in English. Only played Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch and yeah, I found it very bland and too straightforward. If there's a positive it's that you at least don't need to play the trilogy to get into later games which boast the whole continuity thing.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Weird translation, but I assume this means we're probably going to have a four-parter like Cold Steel?

upload_2022-1-6_0-31-48.png

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It's high time to get Trails from Zero released in English (officially)

The fan translation is p. good tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom