Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Critical role ruined PnP

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Free D&D Adventure: Work at Strixhaven's Firejolt Café in 'No Tears Over Spilled Coffee!'

In "No Tears Over Spilled Coffee," the players' characters are new hires at Strixhaven University's famed Firejolt Café. When their manager suddenly grows ill, it's up to the party to keep the business running! This free D&D adventure is intended for a group of three to four 1st-level characters. It can be completed in about two to three hours and includes a free map from Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos!

Adventure summary
The adventure takes place over the course of the characters' first day of work at the Firejolt Café. Their manager, Ellina Tanglewood, scheduled the group for training but quickly falls ill. She trusts the characters to work together to run the café as she recovers.

Player objectives
  • Clean the coffee machine.
  • Successfully fulfill drink orders during the morning rush.
  • Save customers from the monster hidden in the newsstand.
  • Work together to complete a complex drink order.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1118-free-d-d-adventure-work-at-strixhavens-firejolt

I really wish this was satire.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Imagine being a douchebag barista in Starbucks, going home and roleplaying as a wageslave all over again. Just like my teuton video games!

ea3.jpg

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Michael Galvis (@michaelgalvis) is a tabletop content producer for D&D Beyond. He is a longtime Dungeon Master who enjoys horror films and all things fantasy and sci-fi. When he isn’t in the DM’s seat or rolling dice as his anxious halfling sorcerer, he’s playing League of Legends and Magic: The Gathering with his husband. They live together in Los Angeles with their adorable dog, Quentin.
We should have gatekept more.

0wca

Learned

lightbane

Arcane
After shit demons and clowns literally poking fun at THAC0 and oldfags that like it, this is what DnD does next?
Not sure if it's hilarious or depressing.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Free D&D Adventure: Work at Strixhaven's Firejolt Café in 'No Tears Over Spilled Coffee!'

In "No Tears Over Spilled Coffee," the players' characters are new hires at Strixhaven University's famed Firejolt Café. When their manager suddenly grows ill, it's up to the party to keep the business running! This free D&D adventure is intended for a group of three to four 1st-level characters. It can be completed in about two to three hours and includes a free map from Strixhaven: A Curriculum of Chaos!

Adventure summary
The adventure takes place over the course of the characters' first day of work at the Firejolt Café. Their manager, Ellina Tanglewood, scheduled the group for training but quickly falls ill. She trusts the characters to work together to run the café as she recovers.

Player objectives

https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1118-free-d-d-adventure-work-at-strixhavens-firejolt

See this in the comments:

refreshing to see an adventure focusing on non-combat, non-exploration encounters

This is what 5th Edition brought. This is what happens.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
To be fair a good chunk of roleplaying, unless D&D is someone's only exposure to this hobby, tends to be about non-combat simply because said combat drags out sessions. I don't want to spend two-three hours going through a minor skirmish and anyone who treats roleplaying games that way needs to stop applying video game logic to them. Want tons of combat? Wargaming exists, and based on my experience a LOT of would-be roleplayers would do much better over there instead. I lost count how players I had in groups who basically checked out whenever anything non-combat started happening.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
combat drags out sessions

Depends on the game or edition. In 5e? Yes, combat takes forever, and it's also boring as fuck. In 3e? Yes, combat takes forever, but at least it's usually engaging due to all the shit you can do. In B/X or OSR? No, it's lightning fast (and very deadly).

It's been too long since I played anything without D&D DNA to do detailed commentary on other games, but generically speaking, some are fast, some are not.

I lost count how players I had in groups who basically checked out whenever anything non-combat started happening.

Yeah this happens with some players. It's only a problem if the majority of players are like that, however; having one or two guys out of five who live for combat is ok in my experience, assuming they are content to let the other players do the RP stuff.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I don't want to spend two-three hours going through a minor skirmish and anyone who treats roleplaying games that way needs to stop applying video game logic to them.
If you don't want to spend two or three hours on a minor skirmish, then you should be playing original Dungeons & Dragons, Holmes "blue book" Basic D&D, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, B/X Moldvay/Cook D&D, BECMI Mentzer D&D, or AD&D 2nd edition. All six versions of D&D have fairly abstract combat that generally passes quite quickly, especially with experienced players. +M

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State

Adventure summary

Player objectives

refreshing to see an adventure focusing on non-combat, non-exploration encounters

Wow, and here I just wanted to fight cultists and devils but why do a fun fantasy adventure when I can roleplay as playing a wage slave working at my dead end job. "But its so quirky!" Fuck off!
Playing as a blue or purple tiefling is the equivalent of having pronouns in your bio.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Add some stupid race like orcs, so I can role-play as brain-damaged neanderthal
>orcs
>race
orcs are monsters. they're not a race of actual people.

if you want to play an actual person with a soul, just pick a (white) human and make them a barbarian with low int and/or charisma.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Adventure summary

Player objectives

More proof that NPCs were made to fill drink orders at Starbucks. They even fantasize about it in their spare time.

Sunri

Liturgist
Add some stupid race like orcs, so I can role-play as brain-damaged neanderthal
>orcs
>race
orcs are monsters. they're not a race of actual people.

if you want to play an actual person with a soul, just pick a (white) human and make them a barbarian with low int and/or charisma.

It can be half-orc then hummies are boring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom