Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The final 30% of the game was least enjoyable to me. Kept hoping for it to end soon, because I start to lose interest when I feel overpowered (the game is too generous with permastats)

I think the biggest issue is how many perma bonuses are accessible early on. Probably could have done with distributing some more of the dragonroots/king sorrels to end game areas.

Make more of the perma potions finds in dangerous areas rather than just for sale. Same with some of the stronger books.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
I think the biggest issue is how many perma bonuses are accessible early on. Probably could have done with distributing some more of the dragonroots/king sorrels to end game areas.

Make more of the perma potions finds in dangerous areas rather than just for sale. Same with some of the stronger books.
They are working on a difficulty option for veteran players so hold out on second playthrough.

Tygrende

Arbiter
When you finally max alchemy, craft all your perma potions using all those rare plants you keep looking for 24/7 and chug them all. This is it. Best moment in any Gothic game bar none. I live for this shit.

2oHc90h.png

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Some thoughs & questions about the plot:

1. I kept thinking we'd learn more about Marvin's family. It was hinted that Marvin did something that led to the tragic death of his father and possibly also his mother. It was also hinted that his mother was someone important and that her amulet was especially significant. Her amulet is shown in the intro, and when we recover it in chapter 3 Marvin says something like "You have no idea how important this is". Yet I never found a purpose for it (nor any more info on what Marvin did to his parents). Did I miss anything?

2. Our brother Jorn was supposed to be a member of the Ring of Water, right? Kessel commented on him having a special ring, and suggested that Volker had kidnapped him because of it (for interrogation about the 'subversives').

3. I never heard from Knut (the uncle) again after he left the tavern and left a note about having to attend to important business. Did any of you? I kept suspecting that our uncle was the one who had noticed Jorn's ring and reported him to Volker's men in Silbach, maybe in an attempt to repay debt with Volker.

4. When I returned to Fabio's swamp camp in chapter 5, he had left (and taken his people with him). Did any of you find out where he had gone?

5. The character we're shipped to the Valley of Mines with is almost certainly Gomez. There's a theory that Marvin is intended to be Scar from Gothic I, seems plausible to me.

6. I thought we'de be able to choose a side to support in a "Myrtana versus Seperatist" civil war. But I'm guessing we aren't able to support Ulryk (or Volker). So I figure the game's major playthrough paths are (1) Loyal to the City Guard, (2) Loyal to Araxos, (3) Defect to the Ring of Water?

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Some thoughs & questions about the plot:

1. I kept thinking we'd learn more about Marvin's family. It was hinted that Marvin did something that led to the tragic death of his father and possibly also his mother. It was also hinted that his mother was someone important and that her amulet was especially significant. Her amulet is shown in the intro, and when we recover it in chapter 3 Marvin says something like "You have no idea how important this is". Yet I never found a purpose for it (nor any more info on what Marvin did to his parents). Did I miss anything?

2. Our brother Jorn was supposed to be a member of the Ring of Water, right? Kessel commented on him having a special ring, and suggested that Volker had kidnapped him because of it (for interrogation about the 'subversives').

3. I never heard from Knut (the uncle) again after he left the tavern and left a note about having to attend to important business. Did any of you? I kept suspecting that our uncle was the one who had noticed Jorn's ring and reported him to Volker's men in Silbach, maybe in an attempt to repay debt with Volker.

4. When I returned to Fabio's swamp camp in chapter 5, he had left (and taken his people with him). Did any of you find out where he had gone?

5. The character we're shipped to the Valley of Mines with is almost certainly Gomez. There's a theory that Marvin is intended to be Scar from Gothic I, seems plausible to me.

6. I thought we'de be able to choose a side to support in a "Myrtana versus Seperatist" civil war. But I'm guessing we aren't able to support Ulryk (or Volker). So I figure the game's major playthrough paths are (1) Loyal to the City Guard, (2) Loyal to Araxos, (3) Defect to the Ring of Water?

2. Yes some refugees from londram you meet in chapter 3 aslo say that he was meeting strange people (members of water ring)

3. You have to follow his trial into the sewers where you find his corpse with a diary yes he snitched on Jorn to Volker.

4. Look around the swamp he has become a zombie.

5. Yes

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
Nothing hinted at Marvin killing his mother, she died many years before the events of the game. Her amulet is important simply because it's a family heirloom.

3. I never heard from Knut Kurt (the uncle) again after he left the tavern and left a note about having to attend to important business. Did any of you? I kept suspecting that our uncle was the one who had noticed Jorn's ring and reported him to Volker's men in Silbach, maybe in an attempt to repay debt with Volker.
You can find his body in the sewers. He has several notes on him, detailing the events. He did take the ring off Jorn when he was feverish and took it to Volker because he heard he collects the aquamarine stones. Shenaningans followed.

To get BRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAIIIIIINZZZZZZZZ.

There was not supposed to be any doubt left after the final cinematic. He is Scar. People noticed similarity between faces back in 2019.

Marvin's motivations are personal, not political. It would make no sense to join the side of his brothers captors.

Alphons

Cipher
Random encounters in this are pretty simple, but they add so much life to the game.

Is there any list with all of them (requirements, locations)?

Sjukob

Arcane
Looking at your build, if you take out the magic circles and the mana investment you get 390 LPs, enough to train to 90 STR and 90 DEX and have 50 LPs left (which you could use to get master blacksmithing-.. and if get rid of pickpocket, also master bowmaking). That means 152 STR and 128 DEX - considering you wouldn't make/ buy spirit potions, but STR/DEX ones, a hybrid looks doable, at least on paper.

Later edit: A bit of theorycrafting
- 113 LPs - 20 + 60 + 33 LPs to get to 71% xbows + 4 from dialogue choices + 15 from set = 90% xbows (I think i read you can get +5% from books and another +5% on the best xbow, so maybe even 100%);
- 27 LPs for all trophy skills (10 skins, 3 lizard skins, 3 claws, 3 teeth, 1 mandibles, 1 stings, 1 wings, 1 fat, 1 shells, 1 tongues, 1 shadowbeast horns, 1 hearts);
- 20 LPs to get 1H to 30%;
- 35 LPs for master blacksmith;
- 35 LPs for master bowmaker;
- 60 LPs for master alchemist;
- 125 LPs to get STR to 75 (20 + 60 + 45) + 60 from made/found potions = 135
- 125 LPs to get DEX to 75 (20 + 60 + 45) + 60 from made/found potions = 135

TOTAL = 540 LPs. It all comes down to how many extra bonuses you get.
When you finally max alchemy, craft all your perma potions using all those rare plants you keep looking for 24/7 and chug them all. This is it. Best moment in any Gothic game bar none. I live for this shit.
Alright, this number crunching autism can be pretty fun, but is completely unnecessary, because the game is pretty easy all around.

They are working on a difficulty option for veteran players so hold out on second playthrough.
I have no idea how is it even possible to make the game challenging for the veteran players. The entire combat system and AI would have to be remade from scratch. I can reliably kill shadowbeasts at level 1, what are they going to do about it, place them in packs? But if they feel like trying, then sure why not.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
About the origin of the Beast:
After killing the Beast, the other hunter suggested that it might've been a creation of the orcs. Which didn't seem plausible to me, but I didn't find out anything more about it.

There was an ending slide about the Beast. I think it said that more villagers started disappearing again, suggesting that the Beast storyline hadn't been fully resolved.

Was there anything more to it, after killing the Beast?

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
After killing the Beast, the other hunter suggested that it might've been a creation of the orcs. Which didn't seem plausible to me, but I didn't find out anything more about it.

There was an ending slide about the Beast. I think it said that more villagers started disappearing again, suggesting that the Beast storyline hadn't been fully resolved.

Finding the real Beast.

Metallo

Novice

The beast is
Detlow!
As a veteran hunter he no longer found a taste for hunting as he had all kinds of trophies. To make things more interesting he had made a deal with Bodowin to obtain transformation potions and spells. In the body of various beasts he had managed to gain satisfaction in the hunt again and began to let go too much until he preyed on the unsuspecting villagers who crossed the road between the city and the village.
That the strange snapper had stolen it himself from the orcs he says himself when you meet him in chapter 5 and unmask him during a quest for the woodcutter Knut.
In fact, if you go stealing from Detlow's house you can find a Shadowbeast Transformation Scroll in a chest.

Sjukob

Arcane
Yo, check out my fight with Volker, it's pretty stupid.

Any tips how to finish Runnar's quest for fire mage?
Talk to Runar, tell him you came to support him. Go to Golden Gate shop, tell the guy that paladin is an idiot and you have to come up with something, then do as he suggests, go to the shrine of Innos with Runar at night, kill everyone there, report to Tengral.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Yo, check out my fight with Volker, it's pretty stupid.

Any tips how to finish Runnar's quest for fire mage?
Talk to Runar, tell him you came to support him. Go to Golden Gate shop, tell the guy that paladin is an idiot and you have to come up with something, then do as he suggests, go to the shrine of Innos with Runar at night, kill everyone there, report to Tengral.

I was just spamming golem summoning scrolls and after his potion stopped working i ganked him with my golem.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
Is there supposed to be VA?

Only a polack one. Cholera!

It's available on the Steam store page.

Is it any good?

Yeah I think it adds to immersion, and gives characters more character. And you can hear people yelling at you when they see you trespassing, so it's handy that way.

When I played without the voice pack, there was often a 3-4 second delay when Marvin greeted someone (which couldn't be skipped). That thankfully stopped once I installed the voice pack. Might've been patched now though.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The beast is
Detlow!
As a veteran hunter he no longer found a taste for hunting as he had all kinds of trophies. To make things more interesting he had made a deal with Bodowin to obtain transformation potions and spells. In the body of various beasts he had managed to gain satisfaction in the hunt again and began to let go too much until he preyed on the unsuspecting villagers who crossed the road between the city and the village.
That the strange snapper had stolen it himself from the orcs he says himself when you meet him in chapter 5 and unmask him during a quest for the woodcutter Knut.
In fact, if you go stealing from Detlow's house you can find a Shadowbeast Transformation Scroll in a chest.
I'm surprised he didn't suspect it. To me it seemed quite obvious that
Detlow has something to do with it because of his reactions, even ignoring the stuff that you find around...

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
Only a polack one. Cholera!

It's available on the Steam store page.

I just figured out the workaround for the GOG version. It's pinned on the top of the discussion page.

Edit: I think Nelson stiffed me out of that bow. I perhaps made the mistake of going with him to hunt the Shadowbeast before arguing with his father.

Last edited:

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned

The beast is
Detlow!
I'm surprised he didn't suspect it. To me it seemed quite obvious that
Detlow has something to do with it because of his reactions, even ignoring the stuff that you find around...

He had suspicions, but dismissed them when the game didn't let him act on them. Spoke to the woodcutter Knut in chapter 5 (when looking for provisions for Vardhal) but don't recall getting any quest from him involving Detlow. Maybe there's a prerequisite I missed.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The worst thing is that after you enter the ruin,you are streamlined till the end. You can't even make new weapons unless you had kept some skins or other things. There should have been some free roam after you exited the ruins.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Btw. Marvin can get a womban in the end if you do things right.

8E9F6C635764AF8FDFA30D7DFB5AA9379A092816
The "right" way: "Yes Ivy, I know you were a party to my brother's kidnapping, brutal torture and murder, tried to manipulate me for your gain and attempted to have me killed when I proved inconvenient, but you feel sad about it so I forgive you. Now lemme smash."

Is it though? When I meet her in the sewers, ANY option I pick makes her attack me.

Just finished it, after playing for around 180 hours with constant crashes that made me replay some sections, and I have to say HOLY FUCK I LOVED THIS!!!!

After starting to become tired of playing on chapter 5 (which honestly, when thinking in retrospect, was kinda unnecessary), chapter 6 managed to tie most of the main plot points which I thought would be left out, offer some choice and consequence, some interesting twists and a great endgame slide sequence, which really reminded me of the first Witcher's and Fallout New Vegas' endings, both being some of my favorites story-wise.

I almost thought I had managed to get an ending where Marvin wouldn't be sent to the Valley of Mines, since it was a mostly happy ending, but the writers managed to give an explanation that seemed credible (at least for me) on how he got convicted. I have to say that I couldn't contain my excitement at the last cutscene, it left me wanting to replay the first Gothic all over again!

Now I just think it is just sad that, in Gothic 1, Marvin, or Scar how he is called there, is a very unimportant NPC without any unique dialogue that just dies to Nameless Chad when Gomez sends everything to shit, it would be cool if in the remake Alkimia Interactive added some nods to this mod when you talk to him.
With only some minor complaints this has easily gotten into my favorite RPGs of all time along with Gothic 1 & 2, I loved every second of it and how immersed I felt living in Archolos.

Some of my complaints:
  • Volker appearing right before the kidnapping of Jorn is just too on the nose, it would be better if his name didn't show above his head when looking at him, and even then I think it would still be too obvious.
  • Jorn simply being kidnapped would already be a good motivation for Marvin to do the main quest, but he is also poisoned which conflicted a lot with my desire to simply go out exploring and do random sidequests.
  • Ivy is too underdeveloped, there is no real reason for sparing her in the endgame besides being horny, since she shows no plausible reason for seeking revenge on Volker.
  • Many quests have some items/monsters/corpses appearing only when you start them, some are justifiable but there are many that are not, and those that are not, not only detract from immersion but also waste the player's time by making them retread path that they have already walked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom