Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline IGN Goes Beyond Retarded

I'm almost surprised Skyrim would land on a list like that now. Back after Fallout 76 came out it seemed like the blinders had come off with regard to Bethesda, and you were seeing these outlets finally talking about what huge bug riddled messes their games were.

Fable 2 seems weird for a 100 greatest games of all time list. Outside of the novelty of being able to buy everything up, there's not a whole lot there worth writing home about. Not that there is for Skyrim either, but people stupidly jerking of to Skyrim is something to expect to see more. Weird list either way, even just a Top 100 7th Gen 2005 - 2015 list could safely not have either of those games...as well as other stuff I saw on there.

Fuck the Baldur's Gate game.

0wca

Learned
Why are you reading IGN or giving it any attention? Why are you posting a link to it with your Facebook Click Identifier included, so they know you engaged with their content and sent various other people there?

Mainstream gaming site posts best-of list full of garbage, more news at 11.

"Oh no, this mainstream and notoriously retarded even by mainstream standards media outlet is being retarded again and did not include any of my niche favorites in their irrelevant top 100 of all time! Reeeeeeeeeee!"

Come on, Falksi mang, you should know better than that.

My thoughts on this whole topic.

purupuru

Learned
Don't post their links, don't click on their links, don't even talk about this shitty site unless you have to.
IGN is already retarded and these "Best 100 of XXX" click-bait articles are the worst of them all. It's probably even worse than those click-bait youtube videos since I'd wager at least some of those are funny.

53. Ms. Pac-Man

These lists often seem almost chosen at random. Why Ms. Pac Man specifically over Pac Man? Surely not because female protagonist? Gameplay is identical IIRC.

IGN and all content it produces is shit and has always been shit. Don't give them any traffic.

That said, Ms. Pac Man is a significantly different game from the original Pac Man and in my estimation much better:

1. It has 4 different boards, while the original only had 1.
2. The boards themselves were more engaging, with more exit tunnels.
3. Fruits are not static on the boards, they move around, which leads to more dynamic gameplay.
4. Ghost AI is significantly improved and more reactive and dynamic, compared to the more predictable behaviour of the original game's ghosts. This makes the game much harder.

I don't see a reason to play the original over Ms. Pac Man at all.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
13. Hades

Really? Hades is a good game, but the 13 spot? What kind of drugs were they doing?

Last of Us

Continues to be overrated just because it has high production quality.

Games in our top 100 have to measure up to a few key metrics: how great a game it was when it launched, how fun it is to still play today, and how much the game reflects the best in its class.

That's a weird way of saying it's completely arbitrary.

I don't know why I bothered reading since it said IGN right in the URL.

Falksi

Arcane
I suppose they had to convince themselves of it, didn't they?
Nintendo fanboyism works like a cult, pretty much like Apple, with the difference that Nintendo grooms players into loyal consumers since they're kids.

A someone who has a good amount of love for the SNES, I still find that in general Nintendo systems are so middle-of-the-road. Not complex enough to offer genuine depth like a PC, not exciting enough to offer genuine intensity like an arcade/action based console. It's a 2.5 family-man's machine, for people who like to talk their way out of situations instead of itching for them to turn into a fight, and who's idea of a stag-do isn't a string of strip clubs and then on to a whorehouse, but instead a few quiet beers with old friends.

This list is what happens when the men in gaming become so weak that they pander to female standards of enjoyment.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I will legitimately never understand the mainstream's fascination with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. You'd think it was their first open world game so it blew their mind away or something.

wishbonetail

Learned
A someone who has a good amount of love for the SNES, I still find that in general Nintendo systems are so middle-of-the-road. Not complex enough to offer genuine depth like a PC, not exciting enough to offer genuine intensity like an arcade/action based console. It's a 2.5 family-man's machine, for people who like to talk their way out of situations instead of itching for them to turn into a fight, and who's idea of a stag-do isn't a string of strip clubs and then on to a whorehouse, but instead a few quiet beers with old friends.

This list is what happens when the men in gaming become so weak that they pander to female standards of enjoyment.
That is why SNES fare way better today than Genesis (i presume you meant that as arcade console). Arcade/action games are getting old way faster than turn-based stuff, which SNES is full of. We have a constant progress in action department but turn-based/tactics haven't really changed since 90's (or since forever if we take chess).

Humbaba

Arcane
BOTW at #1? It's not even the best open world game, that would be MGSV.
TLoU2 became another pet cause of the left because it owned the chuds, so of course it needs to be there. Nevermind that the fans hated it.

View attachment 22215

(And this is after the purge of thousands of negative reviews)
The well was poisoned ahead of release by idpolfags who wailed and cried about lesbians and muscle girls and le daddy Joel so that everyone else with legitimate criticisms of the game's narrative was lumped together with them and disregarded. While the lesbian thing is obvious fetish writing, I for one would not be able to take Abby seriously as a villain if she was just an average looking girl with a ponytail. The reason why TLOU2 sucks is the same reason why the first game sucked, namely it's uninspired gameplay and pretentious narrative. If it was a movie, book or TV series it would get torn to shreds but luckily the bar for stories in video games is like 10 leagues lower.

Unwanted
Profound and out of context.

Somebody who never stops playing retro games never finds whole game philosophies to be outdated suddenly. This only happens when one lets his mind and skills rot with newer games and can't cope with older games ever again. You play something like Contra Hard Corps or Ranger X and think they're passé; it's a subjective impression nonetheless.

deem

Savant
Sometimes I think that the concept of "dated art" is a marketing gimmick. Planned obsolescence but for a work of art instead of a dishwasher.

wishbonetail

Learned
Profound and out of context.

Somebody who never stops playing retro games never finds whole game philosophies to be outdated suddenly. This only happens when one lets his mind and skills rot with newer games and can't cope with older games ever again. You play something like Contra Hard Corps or Ranger X and think they're passé; it's a subjective impression nonetheless.
It is not about philosophies, it's about technical advancement. For example, someone who tried modern beat-em-up with 6 frames animations wouldn't want to go back to 3 frames animations, cos it's pretty critical to gameplay. Conversely, strategy/tactics/jrpgs on SNES are pretty timeless because all we've got with technical progress in turn based is 3D, which just obscures everything and animations, which are just a huge time waster. Hence I say that SNES with it's huge non-action library holds up nice by todays standarts and SEGA's overreliance on arcades was it's undoing.

dacencora

The SEGA/Nintendo console wars? On codex? Interesting.

(You can like both, btw)

Falksi

Arcane

That is why SNES fare way better today than Genesis (i presume you meant that as arcade console). Arcade/action games are getting old way faster than turn-based stuff, which SNES is full of. We have a constant progress in action department but turn-based/tactics haven't really changed since 90's (or since forever if we take chess).

On the contrary mate, I get your POV but personally I think arcade style gaming (Yes the SEGA systems, but also actual arcade games themselves alongside other systems too) is just getting rolling again.

Streets of Rage 4 just sold 2.5m copies, whilst Persona 5 Royal sold 1.8m and SMTV sits at 800,000 copies, so I'm not sure there's a clear case for SNES style turn based games being in demand more than arcade styles ones tbh.

I don't think many gamers stick to one genre tbh. Personally I like to mix and match and usually play 1 RPG alongside 2 or 3 arcade style games to break things up. That's one of the reasons why I think the list is so off-balanced. It's essentially Nintendo fanboys who are obsessed with that middle ground mentioned earlier. There's definitely a place for that middle ground, but to omit entire genres to accommodate the likes of Earthbound is pretty laughable tbh.

And modern action games all try to be "RPGs" anyway. Mass Effect 2 is just a 60 hour shooter with wank mechanics and cut-scenes padding the whole thing out. If I play a game like that I want it to be like Doom - quick, brutal, fun which I can break down into bitesized portions without having some SJW agenda trying to ruin my kill-thrill.

Last edited:

toughasnails

The well was poisoned ahead of release by idpolfags who wailed and cried about lesbians and muscle girls and le daddy Joel so that everyone else with legitimate criticisms of the game's narrative was lumped together with them and disregarded.

Yup and these guys are p great at making such spins, even without politics. Remember the myopic focus on Mass Effect 3's ending in gaming media, so that someone who hasn't played the played could've been forgiven for thinking that the game was pure perfection save for the very ending and that all the negativity from gamers was an overreaction to said ending.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
IGN Top 100:
#16 Twitcher 3

RPG Codex Top 101:
#15 Twitcher 3

thinking.png

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
We know the score, IGN pump out bollocks by the bucket load and ultimately it means fuck all. But they've outdone themselves this time.......

The Top 100 Video Games of All Time - IGN

So out of the top 100 games of all time, Fable 2, Monster Hunter: World, Skyrim, Earthbound and Undertale are all worthy of a place on there ahead of any Baldur's Gate games, X-Com '94, PST and Morrowind apparently. :hahano:

Also made me chuckle that 4 of the top 5 best games ever are Nintendo games. Poor you if you owned a PC.

Off the scale retardation :salute:
Remember that "games journalists" don't actually play games or have any skills. They just check the internet and make a list of the games. I doubt they ever even played any of them.

The more important question is : What are you doing on IGN to begin with?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom