Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you read ingame books?

Codex Year of the Donut
Those things with hard covers and pages inbetween. Do you read 'em?
1281035965-fullres.jpg

I usually pick them up and collect them but never read them unless they give a skill point or quest.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I know for sure Rusty plays those because he played Fallout 76 and I vomited.

Codex Year of the Donut
I know for sure Rusty plays those because he played Fallout 76 and I vomited.
I've never been able to get close to completing any Bethesda game.
I think I have 10-20 hours played in all of them sans Enderal if you count that. That's about as long as I can last before getting bored.
I actually managed to finish FNV so it must be Bethesda.

Mise

Not The Best Games
Developer
Yeah who doesn't love reading walls of text in front a glaring screen with font that is usually too small and not readable by design, only to find story that is half-assed.

Kruyurk

Learned
Is there any game with a functional library ? Where you can borrow books but must return them in time else they send the guards after you.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
A lot of succulent information can be found in some books that is otherwise hidden. Morrowind is actually a great example. The 36 Lessons of Vivec to be precise. I read them because of that and to practice foreign languages when I'm learning a new one.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
The only game that forced the player to read the books was Witcher 1, and it was made in the best way possible. In any other game, reading books is pointless, so I don't bother.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Generally no, it's bad storytelling to tell it through books laying around imo. The only game I read some books in was Morrowind. Reading Vivec's religious propaganda written about himself that he stole from thelema really made it extra satisfying to kill him.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not all of them, but sometimes.

It would be cool if in-game cluebooks that the player has to read (for a specific mission or problem) were more prevalent.

I’m not against having few-page curiosity books about the lore, like TES has, but it’s often kinda jarring that you have a million hardcovers the only useful things in which are a ”ding” for a +1 skill or a journal mark, to go through.

There could even be a skill for being a bookworm that might gradually highlight some important bits in cryptic text to help solve a specific problem, or reveal the +1 skill or what ever to be obtained.

Pocgels

Scholar
Only if I find the setting interesting. So I did in Morrowind, but not in Baldur's gate, Pathfinder or PoE. It helps if enough of them are funny or thought-provoking, and not "a history of, part 6"

I also read books in rougelikes, because once in ToME there was a book that described several types of undead and what their weaknesses were, which was a neat way to let the player plan ahead without having to reload a save or check a wiki

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Those things with hard covers and pages inbetween. Do you read 'em?
1281035965-fullres.jpg

I usually pick them up and collect them but never read them unless they give a skill point or quest.

Such modern craftmanship isnt realistic, there are better book cover mods, try Illy's Dirty Books

Aemar

Arcane
Read the books from Morrowind back in the day. Probably the best example of this feature in games.

curds

Magister
Not unless it's a quest related book or in a very well written game.

But fuck no am I gonna read in game books for leisure while playing Morrowind or something.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Best use of an in-game book in any CRPG:

600px-MW-npc-Crassius_Curio.jpg

Greetings:
"Yes, I'm Crassius Curio, but you can call me Uncle Crassius."
"I'm so glad to see you again, %PCName."
"You want me to be your sponsor in House Hlaalu? I thought you'd never ask... But first, I want to see who I'm dealing with. Show Uncle Crassius what you have to offer. That's right, don't be shy." Goodbye
"Come on, dumpling, don't be shy. Just do this one little favor for Uncle Crassius." Goodbye
[Disposition +4.] "Yes, I see we're going to get along just splendidly, sweetie-pie. You'll go far with my support. You're now a %NextPCRank of House Hlaalu."
"I'm glad you stopped by, %PCName. I may have some business to discuss with you."
"Have you done any more business with Odral Helvi? If he asks you to do something suspicious, keep me informed, and I will reward you, pudding."

Advancement:
"I can't advance you if you don't belong to House Hlaalu, can I dear?"
"No one questions your unshakable dedication to House Hlaalu, dumpling, but you need to work on those skills."
"You'll still have to earn your advancement, dumpling. No, no, no, you can't just wiggle that snug little waist and change my mind this time."
"You're an ideal candidate, dumpling, with all the skills we Hlaalu look for... But you just haven't done enough favors for me and the others in House Hlaalu."

business:
"I can't talk about business to anyone who doesn't belong to House Hlaalu, sweetie."
"Speak with Odral Helvi in Caldera. Turn your charms on him, sweetie, and talk about business. If you feel his request is questionable, speak with me for further directions. Keep Uncle Crassius well informed, and I'll reward you."
"You're doing well, dumpling. Just speak with Odral Helvi again and keep me informed."

Crassius Curio:
"Ah, yes. That is my name. But it sounds like music when you say it."

sealed orders:
"So he asked you to deliver orders to Tenusi Lladri instead of Baren Alen, the Treasury clerk? This is interesting. Give the orders to me instead, pudding, and I will take care of everything."
Here they are. [Disposition +15; Treasury Orders has been removed from your inventory; 500 Gold has been added to your inventory.] "Good, good. Now we have some proof of Odral's corruption, but it takes time for the wheels of law to turn. I will make sure these orders are... edited, sealed, and delivered to Tenisi Lladri. For being a sweetie and keeping me informed, why not take this gift of 500 drakes? Buy yourself something pretty for Uncle Crassius."
"You've already given me the orders, pudding."
Nevermind. "Well, I wouldn't advise giving them to Tenisi Lladri. You don't know what you might get involved in. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you, dumpling."

theater troupe:
"A company of players, yes! I would love to be able to form a company to put on my new play. But there are so few in the area willing to act, even for a good price. Of course, I need an actor with wit, gace, charm, and a firm... oh, never mind. You wouldn't be a bad choice, muffin, but you seem to have other matters to attend to. If you see someone else who fits the bill, send them to Uncle Crassius!"

new play:
[The Lusty Argonian Maid has been added to your inventory.] "It is almost completed. I call it 'The Lusty Argonian Maid'. It's a rather bawdy tale, but I think it will play well with the people. Be sweet to Uncle Crassius, and there's something in it for you, sweetcake. Here, take a look at some of the work so far. I think it's scrumptious!"

ACT IV, SCENE III, CONTINUED
Lifts-Her-Tail: Certainly not, kind sir! I am here but to clean your chambers.
Crantius Colto: Is that all you have come here for, little one? My chambers?
Lifts-Her-Tail: I have no idea what it is you imply, master. I am but a poor Argonian maid.
Crantius Colto: So you are, my dumpling. And a good one at that. Such strong legs and shapely tail.
Lifts-Her-Tail: You embarrass me, sir!
Crantius Colto: Fear not. You are safe here with me.
Lifts-Her-Tail: I must finish my cleaning, sir. The mistress will have my head if I do not!
Crantius Colto: Cleaning, eh? I have something for you. Here, polish my spear.
Lifts-Her-Tail: But it is huge! It could take me all night!
Crantius Colto: Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.
END OF ACT IV, SCENE III

coldaqua

Novice
I read a couple in Morrowind and all the books in Disco Elysium (I'm not sure they really count).

Generally, I like the idea in principle provided the game in question is actually interesting and I want to find out more about its lore.

Like undecaf said, it would be better if books were better integrated into the game. Maybe, there could be a quest which requires you to find a magical/legendary item and the only in-game clue is an old travelogue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom