Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Ironmonk

Augur
Hm,, so suppose I'll try and recreate this setup with a great deal of patience.
What do I do, install X-Com 2, and then hunt down every single piece and press subscribe?
How does this interact with the alternate launcher? Perhaps I used it already, I don't remember.
Also, I suppose your config EDITS are made in a way to make this all play together. Did you upload them somewhere?
Thanks in advance :)

1. Install Xcom2
2. Download the Alternative Mod Launcher
3. You can save this list I posted into a .txt file and load it into the Alternative Mod Launcher, this way will be easier to look for the mods (IIRC you can subscribe directly from it)
4. I have a separated .txt with all my edits as backup, so I can post it here later and you just have to copy/paste it over the code they change for each mod (you do this inside the AML).

Keep in mind that with that amount of mods I have, its not really well balanced... the way it is, its more common to have a easy time... but some times you get a fucking nightmare mission.

So, even during my current playthrough, I'm doing tweaks in pursuit of a balanced difficulty (a endless task unfortunately).

If I'm to describe my setup, I would say the core of my list is equipment based:
"Dedicated Pistol Slots" + "Grenade Slots" (default) + "Vest Slots" (default) + "Ammo Slots" (bought at the GTS) + "Base 6 + 4 Upgrades for Soldiers"...
Everything else is built around it.

But yeah, it would be easier to just load my list and remove/tweak what you don't like... I rarely get crashes, and it happens usually during reloading a save in tactical mode or at finishing a mission also on tactical mode. So you just have to save regularly to avoid big losses.

Ironmonk

Augur
No... but I'm using LW2 perk pack mod as part of a overhaul of the "XCOM random perks", with a pool of around 50 new random perks for each class.

For Classes Revamps:
- Psionics WOTC for Psi Operative
- Mechatronic Warfare for Sparks

New Classes:
- Shiv Mod
- Keeper Class from Rescue Denmother mod

mastroego

Arcane
Thanks Ironmonk.
I'll stay tuned for that collection of text edits of yours, when you have time.
I'm in absolutely NO hurry, I'm going through a run of LWR, I mean to start this side project (and I do mean the installation task) at a relaxed pace ;)

Ash

Arcane
Played both Nu xcoms recently. Pretty decent games but much of the strategy often boils down to spamming overwatch and cautiously triggering pods. there should also be way more variables involved in turns, e.g NOT shooting through each and every wall no problem (should be reduced damage for wall shots, unless special moves), possible wind speed and definite throwing arc for grenades, reduced accuracy when Shaken/panicked instead of losing control that's just lame, and so on.

I found XCOM 2 to be the better game, though 1 had a few things over the sequel, and 2 also had difficulty scaling issues.

I love the base building micromanagement and all that stuff but the combat itself is surprisingly simple and that's not a good thing. For the most part you get one relevant parameter - accuracy, which itself is only modified by firing angles/ranges. Oftentimes not even solid walls are relevant. How hard is it to do a line of sight trace checking for structures when calculating aim? And I guess turns/moves is pretty important too...That's fucking basic. Hyperbole of course but the combat needs a little more. there should be more rules and variables established on the battlefield that need to be kept in mind and accounted for.

Anyone can recommend me a mod or two? Or maybe the expansion pack itself addresses the combat simplicity and overwatch spam?

JDR13

Arcane
Just started playing this and got my ass handed to me on the very first missions on Veteran difficulty. This seems like it's way harder than XCOM EU. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to certain tactics though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just started playing this and got my ass handed to me on the very first missions on Veteran difficulty. This seems like it's way harder than XCOM EU. I'm sure it's just a matter of getting used to certain tactics though.

For me XCOM EU on Impossible is harder than XCOM 2, at least in the beginning due to Thin Men and their idiotic aim.

Zeriel

Arcane

For me XCOM EU on Impossible is harder than XCOM 2, at least in the beginning due to Thin Men and their idiotic aim.

The expansion adds a bunch of dumb scripted shit that can wipe people if they don't know what to expect. Once you know it just becomes tedious, but yeah, it's basically if chrysallid docks mission was standard repeating thing.

Sykar

Arcane

I still vividly remember my best sniper far away, up on roof in smoke behind full cover and gets critted away like nothing. :argh:

The expansion adds a bunch of dumb scripted shit that can wipe people if they don't know what to expect. Once you know it just becomes tedious, but yeah, it's basically if chrysallid docks mission was standard repeating thing.

It becomes tedious because of the idiotic pack mechanic. In the original, there was no pack per se that was just idling around which is one of several reasons why the old game is superior overall. This is of course due to the fact that you can have much bigger teams on missions and you were expected to have losses regularly. Nu-Com on the other hand you are expected to have close to 0 losses.

eXalted

Arcane
he expansion adds a bunch of dumb scripted shit that can wipe people if they don't know what to expect.
The Enemy Within DLCs did the same. Dropping Thin men on scripted spots that can wipe you out if you are not prepared accordingly.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Also at the start you don't get many tools to deal with enemy pods

Most of the difficulty I remember from XCOM came in the way of things that seemed like bugs, (things like scripted triggers not working right) where enemies would just randomly drop right on top of your soldiers.

jackofshadows

Magister
Thin Men represent crazy difficulty spike, yeah (remember restarting the game several times on ironmen because of them) but after that as you develop your guys and get some gear - eh, no so much. XCOM 2 however has a lot timed missions and some of later mobs like spectres pose a real fucking threat for squad of almost any power level. The hp bloat is also stronger and if we're talking expansions - anime bosses are too quite a pita on their own. So I think XCOM 2 is significantly harder on inpossible overall. That said, I didn't tryhard XCOM 1 with all the expansions, got bored by that point tbh. So maybe it got significantly harder even beyond Thin Men start.

JDR13

Arcane
The three alien rulers from the Alien Hunters DLC are a retarded difficulty spike. Talk about annoying... I'm about to mod that shit right out of my game.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Full game is dirt cheap on Steam sales rn, for a few more hours. Quick, bros, Xcom 2 + all expacs: yay or nay?

Edit: I know I gave a "bad" opinion on this game back in 2016, but maybe it got better?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Surely yes but you'll want to spend time figuring out which mods to use too

Did modders manage to fix the game? Is Alien Hunt less garbage now? Do we have something like Long War 2 for this game? I remember noting the game had POTENTIAL, but wasn't worth it back in 2016.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
At this point people should know whether they enjoy Nu-XCOM or not, the mechanics have been discussed to death

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yes, there's an LW2 for the XPACs ("Long War of the Chosen"), but people who think LW will save them if they don't enjoy Nu-XCOM always baffled me. It's the opposite. If you enjoy Nu-XCOM *a lot* you'll probably enjoy LW since it stretches out what's already there. Ultimately it doesn’t really change the game much.

Long War of the Chosen: https://www.nexusmods.com/xcom2/mods/757

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Thanks but...

people who think LW will save them if they don't enjoy Nu-XCOM always baffled me.

that's not my case. The issue isn't the mechanics (that LW doesn't fully overhaul) but rather the simplicity and lack of depth/options available for the player. Long War does a good job at improving these issues and YES I'm aware it's essentially nu-Xcom-but-more-autistic. That's how I like it.

Anyway, bought the game. It's downloading now. I see a LOT of mods available so hopefully it will be worth my time/money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom