Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Rogues have sick DPS when dual-wielding axes that I don't think fighters can top. Iirc, one of the more powerful solo builds is a rogue with two axes.
The difference is that I can leave the Fighter in the front and let him do his thing while I masturbate, while Rogue you have to micro excessively for 15% increase in damage.

purupuru

Learned
I thought monk in pillars 1 was a full-attack class? Torment's reach is full attack, +50%damage and extra AoE as crush, costing only 1 wound. Deadfire nerfing it to primary attack and 3 wounds was actually one of the nerfs I liked since it's just too spammable in PoE 1.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Monks were pretty brutal too. I think I beat the game three different times and used DW fighter, 2H Pally (Tidefall) and a Monk. The monk was the most "interesting" in the sense that he required the most micromanagement and his class systems were unique enough that I didn't get bored.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's a lot of hit that I don't like, chiefly I despise the permanent stat buffs and I find the prebuffing from food, resting, camp resting bonus, and prostitute bonuses to be entirely unnecessary. I would have appreciated if all of these were simply cut from the game and a balance pass made to compensate. A malus system for being poorly rested or hungry would have even been better as an alternative. I don't like the buff stacking all of this shit allows for.
There were resting maluses (when you are tired) at release, but were removed at one point.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Back in a day I did a full playthrough with meleee Rogue, full larp mode including using stealth to backstab dudes. Yeah on paper the damage is huge but ultimately it just wasn't worth the effort. Damage per second is measured in real time, not in game time. If a fight takes exactly 60 seconds to finish and you spend 5 minutes doing intense microing to increase damage by 10%, you just lost 4 minutes to gain 6 seconds worth of dps.

almondblight

Arcane
Yeah, I tried building a ranged glass cannon rogue companion but ended up dropping it. It seemed to only do about as much damage as Sagani, even with sneak attacks, but Sagani additionally gets an unkillable meatshield in Itamuuk who often gets some of the highest crits in my party.

Codex Year of the Donut
I remember playing a melee rogue on potd and he would fold like paper.
You'd have to invest too much into defensive stats and stuff gimping your damage compared to range.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't even know why rogues exist in this game in the first place.

Rogues were never intended to be a DPS class. They were a utility class. Now all their utility has been stripped from them and given to everybody which makes the existence of the class pointless. If you are just going to make another flavor of fighter why bother even call it rogue.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't even know why rogues exist in this game in the first place.

Rogues were never intended to be a DPS class. They were a utility class. Now all their utility has been stripped from them and given to everybody which makes the existence of the class pointless. If you are just going to make another flavor of fighter why bother even call it rogue.
You'd be surprised how many classes in this game are superfluous, but Rogue isn't one of them.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Did the writers envision her doing this right next to a rotting animal corpse?

YcjfmND.png

dacencora

Man is this game an RPG or an interactive lore book?
Yeah it’s pretty text heavy and the text can sometimes be dry. If someone was not into the lore, it would be tough for them to get through the big dumps.

The “big” encounters are pretty sweet, IMO. So there’s more than just the lore exploration.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Man is this game an RPG or an interactive lore book?

you've really read zero things on the codex about this game haven't you

Well, reading is teh hard after all.

But yeah, i didn't follow anything about that whatsoever. When i got the hint the game didn't live up to what it was supposed to be i got so mad i ignored it for all this time. And mostly what pissed me off is that they had EVERYTHING going for them. With their previous games, there was always the exscuse that they were running a business and didn't want Obsidian to end up like Black Isle did. I accepted that exscuse when i first played NWN2 for instance, all the more because Mask of the Betrayer subsequently demonstrated they "still" had it. It was always my view that the OC of that game was made to be generic on purpose, on the misguided assumption that's what they had to do to secure sales. All the Obsidian games were "flawed" in some way but there were still enough of the old Black Isle in most of them. KOTOR 2, Mask of the Betreayer, New Vegas. they all had things that showed the spirit of Black Isle was still in there somewhere.

Then Pillars was announced and it was like, ok, NOW they finally have the chance to give it all they got. Nothing to hold them back now... and they fucked it up somehow. That shit just made all the good will i kept for Obsidian through the years evaporate.

I'm in a better position to judge the game since all that is in the past now, so i'm not even bothering making comparisons with Torment or the original Fallout or what have you. I'm trying to approach the game without thinking of that pedegree hanging over it and see how it goes. I can't just replay the old shit for the rest of eternity after all.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Ho, and of course, i'm also allergic to wokeness and right off the bat this game pissed me off when it described women as hunters, soldiers and leaders of whatever the fuck nation while the men focused on homesteading. I remember loading up the game years ago, see that and shut it down lmao.

I mean, i just can't even anymore thinking there's people out there who actually believe that colossal bullshit, not just that men and women are the same but that you can even invert their roles.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The old Obsidian guard are good deconstructionists, not so much good creatives. There is a reason all their very good games are a part of other IPs. They tried to do the same thing with PoE (the whole 'gods are "fake"' thing), but they couldn't get the fundamentals "honest" enough, for lack of a better word.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
code mauve: lyric suit found the inuit matriarchal tribals

I have no idea what they are talking about, it's right in the description in the character creation screen.

Also, i guess all the Ocean Folks are nagas, which is strange considering the Darcozzi Paladini come from Vailia, and they are supposed to be Italians.

Ho wait...

Delterius

Arcane
code mauve: lyric suit found the inuit matriarchal tribals

I have no idea what they are talking about, it's right in the description in the character creation screen.
so you're telling me

that it wasn't the fantasy dwarf matriarchal tribe that triggered you

its the little blurb of 'men and women can fill any social position in eora'

that's it?

that's what triggered such a horrible mental breakdown you could do nothing but rage-quit the game?

jesus fucking christ

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom