Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The EVE online thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you're swapping real dollars for spacebux and you think you're a pirate, boy have I got some bad news for you.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Pirate's worth is measured in ISK efficiency.
It's the ratio between the cost of ship destroyed and lost.
When you're a pirate you don't fly pimped out ships.
With a few exception of some specialized setups, when you absolutely have to fit in a faction module or some such.
In most cases those looses are easy to cover.
The most "high value" pirate roaming gangs I've ever been in (years ago), were on HACs.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Pirate's worth is measured in ISK efficiency.
It's the ratio between the cost of ship destroyed and lost.
When you're a pirate you don't fly pimped out ships.
With a few exception of some specialized setups, when you absolutely have to fit in a faction module or some such.
In most cases those looses are easy to cover.
The most "high value" pirate roaming gangs I've ever been in (years ago), were on HACs.

There are essentially three currencies in EVE: gudfites, local tears/hatemail, and ISK.

Gudfites are the rarest and most valuable currency. The top echelon of lowsec dwellers are gudfite-seekers, and in my opinion, small-gang gudfite corps are the pinnacle of the EVE experience. The successful solo gudfite-seeker who knoes exactly how to fit his ship and exactly which targets to choose when flying it has attained the highest level of zen (and respect, from everyone) possible in EVE.

Local tears/hatemail come in a close second, and these are of course generated not by engaging in battles with other groups of lowsec dwellers and nullbears who also know what they're doing, but by ganking hapless victims and loot pinatas.

ISK, like all the resources and modules generated by PvE, is the most common currency and should always be used in the pursuit of those two higher forms of currency.

The initial goal of a pirate group, as you say, is to become self-sufficient, with the intermediate goal of generating tears and hatemail without running out of ships and modules.

The ultimate goal is to graduate from piracy to the zen state of gudfite-seeking and do almost nothing other than roam around looking for gudfites. Gudfites are hard to find, but they're worth it if you can put in the time and energy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
the fourth currency is the 99.99999% of time wasted looking for fights in a game where nobody wants to fight unless they have the advantage

In all fairness, that is the correct approach to combat according to The Art of War.

But yes, it can take a long time to get a small gang organized to go looking for gudfites, and then hours to find one or two of them. Without the possibility of a loss that really hurts, though, it wouldn't be the same game.

The time:gudfite ratio is why I finally hung up my hat—I then started playing Tribes: Ascend (which was new at the time), and had a blast.

Stokowski

Arcane
RBh11JC.jpg

:deathclaw::timetoburn::what::kingcomrade::nocountryforshitposters:

Caim

Arcane
I can imagine that the moment you leave a station in a ship with a Doctor Who paintjob everyone present will just slap your dumb ass out of existence, retalliation by the space cops be damned.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is the dumbest thing CCP has done yet. My whole group won eve couple months back because of the steady decline.

Caim

Arcane

This is to lure new players in, right? So how EZ casual mode does this have to be for new players to pull it off? You gotta get the right ship, outfit it for scanning and hacking, make a thing, refit your ship for combat (or get an entirely new ship), then do a combat mission to get the good stuff. Also, wouldn't it be a pain in the ass to hit a Dalek just by how tiny they are compared to EVE ships?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Apparently a new Guinness World Record has been set for the exploration of the known universe:

https://www.eveonline.com/news/view/racing-across-the-stars

Capsuleer Henrique Arnolles now stands as the Guinness World Record holder for the fastest time taken to reach each of the 7,805 accessible star systems in EVE, accomplishing his goal in a blistering 224 days! Henrique set out on this adventure on 1 February 2021, touring every Empire system (High and Lowsec) by 6 February, visiting every Nullsec system by the 15th, and reaching his final target system in Anoikis (wormhole space) on 13 September – completing his race across the stars without losing a single ship!

From what I read the previous record holder took almost 10 years, so 224 days sounds like quite the improvement.

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It took so long last time because it's such a pain finding all wormholes. My guess it was quicker this time due to all lessons learned (if Signal Cartel was involved again) or help of filaments.

Perkel

Arcane
Now you can finally play EVE Online like it was meant to do. And Excell spreadsheet + visualization in form of EVE.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is this game still playable in 2022?

I've been playing Dual Universe, and while the game was ambitious, it's got so much wrong with it that I doubt the game will survive until christmas.

I kinda want to mine asteroids again and I need a break from Empyrion.

I'm just curious about the overall state of the game, if anyone here still plays ofc.

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The decline begins anew.

I bought some gayme time and began training skills.

I'll see if I can figure out what the hell is going on tomorrow. I did seem to have a bunch of rewards waiting to be claimed, I think based on mission completion or something. It must be some sort of new reward system they added.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
No, but I went to Fanfest 2008 in Reykjavik, was too pathetically anxious to go into any of the events or talk to people, and left with a stupid t-shirt.

every time i think about going back to even (and it's sadly rather often) i remember how already 15 years ago it was "you either join a megagigaultrahyperalliance or you're nothing", and then it only got worse.
also how i established a nice flow of money coming from deals built on the disappearing of t2 blueprints, which as far as i know did not happen, never happened and is never going to happen, as it was only a way to get them all in the hands of the band of developers who knew it was never going to happen.
no, i don't want to go back into that shithole.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
every time i think about going back to even (and it's sadly rather often) i remember how already 15 years ago it was "you either join a megagigaultrahyperalliance or you're nothing

That's bs.
Small roaming fleets is where EVE shines. Quick, mobile, always hungry for fights.
Results depend not on number of f1-monkeys, but on skill and perfomance of each pilot.

Well, unless you prefer to grind agents or wank to the tune of minig lasers somewhere deep in carebear central ally protected nullsecs, I guess.
Those schmucks with pimped out ships look good in killmails though.

Small roaming fleets is where EVE shines. Quick, mobile, always hungry for fights.
here comes the bigger roaming fleet and you're rendered to nothing. so you either escalate, and they escalate, and you escalate, and they escalate, and so on forever, or you're stuck being rendered to nothing.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
here comes the bigger roaming fleet and you're rendered to nothing. so you either escalate, and they escalate, and you escalate, and they escalate, and so on forever, or you're stuck being rendered to nothing.

When you're small and agile you can pick your fights.
Of course you won't trade blows with huge-ass blob, what's the point?
But you can bite off their scouts or tacklers, or grab some of their rushers or slowpokes.
You clearly have not played the real EVE.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom