Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nioh 2

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I like bosses with interesting movement patterns like that - wide grabs, less so. Grabs in general became my least favorite part of the game over time. At least the hitboxes never seemed off point.
Grabs are the number 1 reason to join the Uesugi clan and stick to it to the end. Being able to ignore thousands of damage after a purification means that you can tank a grab attack without breaking a sweat.

Puukko

Arcane
My hand hurts... What kind of madman puts two versions of the final boss back to back in the middle of a gauntlet? Best attempt at 5%. This makes me intimately familiar with the boss, at least.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Finally 100% this game. I had to grind 10 extra hours to beat All Comers on Way of the Demon. Took a break for several months and came back. This game's late game is awesome.
nioh2.png

How do you do, fellow autist? :salute:

Silva

Arcane
This is on a sale on PS4/5.

I'm considering to get it but everytime I remember that I found Nioh 1 super meh. Don't get me wrong the fighting and bosses are cool but I'm a storyfag that need some strong setting or themes or plots and Nioh seem to be lacking in these.

Suicidal

Arcane
This is on a sale on PS4/5.

I'm considering to get it but everytime I remember that I found Nioh 1 super meh. Don't get me wrong the fighting and bosses are cool but I'm a storyfag that need some strong setting or themes or plots and Nioh seem to be lacking in these.

It's exactly like the first game except they doubled down on the combatfaggotry, looting and build autism. It's a great game if you liked Nioh 1 or care only about slaughtering hundreds of mobs but for a storyfag there isn't much here to see. The only theme in the story is "war bad" and everything is presented as poorly and confusingly as in the first game (although I did enjoy a couple of moments here and there).

Falksi

Arcane
The game's undoubtedly got quality, but it's not clicking with me like the first one did.

Combat doesn't feel as good for some reason. Less satisfying and exciting. Haven't put my finger on why yet though.

Not keen on how they've bogged the game down with so much loot and building autism too.

Anybody else had a crash on startup issue with this? After playing first game for a while I thought I might skip to the second one and fully get into build sperging there, but nope, couldn't even launch the damn thing. I guess I'm just stuck with first game then.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Making a game with hardcore action combat that matches direct player skill along with gear progression and diablo loot treadmill is, in hindsight, pretty insane, so the fact the game works at all is kind of amazing.

But yeah once you've mastered your build and playstyle you have won every battle for the rest of the game, every stage becomes a chore of trial-and-error to find all the gotcha traps and there's still 40+ hours of content left. Looting just keeps you competitive but never really pushes you into a new level of strength.

Supposedly once you beat the game 17 times you unlock the *real* progression where the true challenge and mastery lie but lolzololzololzzz fuck off with that.

Ravielsk

Magister
The thing about Nioh 2 is that I enjoyed it but significantly less than I enjoyed the first game. Its a bigger game that just feels smaller in far too many ways. Like for example them boiling down the living weapon system into just three demon transformations is just inherently less interesting and less usable. The weapon skill progression that beyond the first few point literary drags across multiple NG+ cycles(especially annoying with weapons that are all about their combos). Or how you get to make your own character but then end up being basically a side character in what is basically just Tokichiro's story. A obviously cut down story as its real conclusion is in the DLCs and its not even a good conclusion, more like a "oh, shit we totally forgot about that".

Its still a solid game but mainly because it has a strong foundation in Nioh 1. Most of the new stuff ranges between meh and bleh. Its not ruined but its clear the devs kinda had no idea what to do with the formula because the focus on all its weakest point without really changing anything.

Ravielsk

Magister
Anybody else had a crash on startup issue with this? After playing first game for a while I thought I might skip to the second one and fully get into build sperging there, but nope, couldn't even launch the damn thing. I guess I'm just stuck with first game then.

Yes, I did. I fixed it by editing the config file to force the game to boot into borderless mode. For some reason the fullscreen(which is default) causes the game to crash.

Yes, I did. I fixed it by editing the config file to force the game to boot into borderless mode. For some reason the fullscreen(which is default) causes the game to crash.

Actually I googled the same advice and when I went into a config file it turned out it was already set to borderless.. So not a solution for me, unfortunately.

Falksi

Arcane
I spent some more time with it last night and it feels like more effort, for little more reward. The inclusion of the demonic forms is very cool, but ultimately just adds a layer of faff which hinders the game more than it enhances it. Perfect example of a gimmick taking away more than it gives.

Between those elements, and moves such as getting Ki combat boosts for changing stance, it lays a really faffy foundation all round, which is the wrong way to make such a game. The original still held true to Dark Souls levels of simplicity, but just added a few cherries on top. Here said cherries are too rife, and what should be distractions to break up the game - such as looting - end up becoming constants and taking center stage too often.

They've definitely overcooked it, and it's a shitter game than the first for it. Doubt I'll continue playing.

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister

Actually I googled the same advice and when I went into a config file it turned out it was already set to borderless.. So not a solution for me, unfortunately.

Are you by any chance on Windows 7?

The original still held true to Dark Souls levels of simplicity, but just added a few cherries on top.
Yeah, pretty much this. I did not spent most of my time with the game gear managing but I could definitely feel that I was supposed to. Player damage output and HP values come mostly from stacking gear bonuses and not stats. Stats which you have to min-max to be effective because spreading your points around just makes you universally weak to a point where you could significantly outlevel the mission you are doing and still feel like you are underleveled. Worst part is that there are mechanics in place to mitigate gear grinding but they are stupidly restricted. The blacksmith can change the special effects on you gear but you dont get to choose what replaces what, instead you pick from a random selection of 3(maybe 6 or 9 depending on your NG+ cycle) effects that mostly useless. So it just a giant money sink.
Or you can forge your gear and roll a dice with only 20% of getting you something good as most craftable gear does not have any guaranteed effects besides set effects. Or you can soul match your old gear to keep it up to snuff but even under optimal conditions its still too expensive to do it more than once or twice per chapter. Or you can much much later into the game reforge weapons to change their stat scaling but only to what they already have. You cant make a dex weapon into a magic weapon if it was not already scaling with magic so depending on what stats you are min-maxing about 80% of weapon drops are straight up worthless to you.

Its as if the whole team knew they fucked up and wanted to fix it but some executive was too attached to whole random loot nonsense to allow for a proper fix.

Ravielsk

Magister
For some reason the game runs like shit on my machine
I think it's because it's not properly optimized for AMD GPU's

Strange I am running it on my RX570 and it runs fine. Well "fine" in the sense that it can maintain 60fps most of the time with Vsync off. Try playing around with the settings chances are that one thing is bottlenecking the whole game.

cruel

Cipher
Nice. Waiting for Nioh 3 in 2025.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Suicidal

Arcane
This is actually pretty impressive. Nioh games were always kind of niche and scared off normies so I'm happy for the devs. I hope that they don't actually make a Nioh 3 but make another game just like it but set in another region using its lore and mythology (preferably medieval China or some other place that hasn't been overused to death).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This flavour of aRPGs clearly became hugely popular. Fifty bux on Elden Ring getting to Skyrim-like sales this year.

Deflowerer

Arcane
This is actually pretty impressive. Nioh games were always kind of niche and scared off normies so I'm happy for the devs. I hope that they don't actually make a Nioh 3 but make another game just like it but set in another region using its lore and mythology (preferably medieval China or some other place that hasn't been overused to death).

One of the devs mentioned that he'd like to do something on Celtic mythology or Three Kingdoms. Pretty sure if they did China, it would default to Three Kingdoms, because it's a story that has pan-Asian / even global clout at this stage vs any other period in China.

For now, check out Stranger of Paradise coming next month. It's basically nu-metal Nioh x Final Fantasy.

They already did this, Nioh but in a different setting is exactly what their new Final Fantasy game is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom