Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

D&D 5E Discussion

deuxhero

Arcane
IIRC the fan-done 3E Dark Sun conversion dances around the novels wrecking the setting by supporting different eras and tossing in some token rules for the Cerulean Storm if you choose to play after the novels but otherwise expecting you to play traditional Dark Sun.

Cael

Arcane

What is funny is that Satyr's are often portrayed as rapists of women and nymphs' in Greek mythology which I think is a great metaphor for what Wizards is doing to D&D. Also, Jesus this art is atrocious.

Given the rainbow thing it has going, this particular satyr is going to be a rapist of men and dwarves.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

It looks like it might be happening folks! Fingers crossed! Looks like Chrissy Perkins got his wish in ruining D&D! Congrats faggot! You earned it!

WotC didn't ruin D&D as their version contained nothing from OD&D/AD&D by Gary and Dave. The company did kill the branding though. It's also hard to remove the prior released OD&D/AD&D from the internet as all of the books were made into pdfs. Those aren't going anywhere any time soon.

deuxhero

Arcane

What is funny is that Satyr's are often portrayed as rapists of women and nymphs' in Greek mythology which I think is a great metaphor for what Wizards is doing to D&D. Also, Jesus this art is atrocious.

Remember when the Eberron book had that horrible cover and they had to scramble so hard for a replacement before the book went to print they couldn't make minor changes to the work they chose that would have made it better (there's a third figure, a dinosaur, that could easily have been moved onto the cover but is only visible on the web banner/poster version). Now WotC has fallen below even that, since they actually changed that one.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I had someone comment on a YouTube video I replied to about how hard it was to figure out some of the rolls for AD&D 2E. I said, "You mean THAC0? That's easy to explain. Roll 1d20 and subtract your roll from THAC0. That's the AC you hit. Say you roll a 15 for your first level fighter. Without to hit bonuses, you subtract 20 from 15 to get 5. You just hit everything that is AC 10 to 5." THAC0 is not some arcane formula that's difficult to do. It's basic math for Pete's sake.

Cael

Arcane
I had someone comment on a YouTube video I replied to about how hard it was to figure out some of the rolls for AD&D 2E. I said, "You mean THAC0? That's easy to explain. Roll 1d20 and subtract your roll from THAC0. That's the AC you hit. Say you roll a 15 for your first level fighter. Without to hit bonuses, you subtract 20 from 15 to get 5. You just hit everything that is AC 10 to 5." THAC0 is not some arcane formula that's difficult to do. It's basic math for Pete's sake.
Basic math is too hard for millennials and zoomers. Have you seen the STEM results these days?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Basic math is too hard for millennials and zoomers. Have you seen the STEM results these days?

Is it bad? Do I even want to know?

Cael

Arcane

Take away their calculators, and the poor bastards won't know how to add 1+1.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Jesus in my day, yes I used it, we had to learn how to use an abacus and only allowed calculators in advanced algebra and other advanced math classes. We even had mandatory computer training on Vic-20's and Apple IIC's to program in BASIC.

Codex Year of the Donut
you just used the chart
Attack-Matrix-fighters.jpg

Cael

Arcane

Jesus in my day, yes I used it, we had to learn how to use an abacus and only allowed calculators in advanced algebra and other advanced math classes. We even had mandatory computer training on Vic-20's and Apple IIC's to program in BASIC.
Yeah. We had to do GCE O Levels without a calculator.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State

I LMAO so hard at this. Wizards needs to realize that they can't have their cake and eat it too. They want a larger female audience. Which is why they are creating non-combat and slice of life campaigns to appeal to women. But I will let you guys in on little secret about women, women don't like ugly things. They love beauty and cuteness. Even the most rabid, foaming out the mouth Twitter danger hair will lean more towards something that is cute and beautiful then ugly. You can't be a Marxist culture warrior dismantling beauty norms and pander to a female audience. It is incompatible.

Last edited:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
They want a larger female audience. Which is why they are creating non-combat and slice of life campaigns to appeal to women.

Huh. Well, I dunno about wombyn gamers in general, but the women in my group at least are in no way allergic to violence; on the contrary, no matter the campaign, my wife and her friend always seem to end up playing straightforward murderhobos with low charisma and a preference for hacking instead of yapping. I love it.

Codex Year of the Donut
Gary Gygax was adamant that females never represented more than 5% of the market share for RPGs at any point in time, and that chasing the female customer would end badly because women inherently aren't interested in RPGs(he was a biological determinist.)

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
They want a larger female audience. Which is why they are creating non-combat and slice of life campaigns to appeal to women.

Huh. Well, I dunno about wombyn gamers in general, but the women in my group at least are in no way allergic to violence; on the contrary, no matter the campaign, my wife and her friend always seem to end up playing straightforward murderhobos with low charisma and a preference for hacking instead of yapping. I love it.

Given that in most of the western world, a woman can have her child butchered on demand, so this doesn't surprise me. Nothing about female nature surprises me. Yes, that includes the mothers that kill their children after they're born.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Gary Gygax was adamant that females never represented more than 5% of the market share for RPGs at any point in time, and that chasing the female customer would end badly because women inherently aren't interested in RPGs(he was a biological determinist.)
"Those of you who read the first article in this series (“Dungeons & Dragons, What It ls And Where It Is Going,” DRAGON #22) will appreciate knowing that TSR is now in the process of creating its Design Department. Jean Wells is now on the staff in order to give the game material with a feminine viewpoint — after all, at least 10% of the players are female!"
- Gary Gygax, "From the Sorceror's Scroll", Dragon Magazine #24 (April 1979)

The following year, Jean Wells co-authored an article with Kim Mohan, Dragon Magazine's assistant editor at the time, titled "Women Want Equality and Why Not?", appearing in Dragon Magazine #39 (July 1980). Aside from repeating the claim that 10% of D&D/AD&D players were female, this article indicated that women prefer non-combat problem-solving more than male players, criticized the limitation on the strength score of human female characters, and lamented the lack of clothing depicted in female PC miniatures and other artwork. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom