Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deep Rock Galactic (L4D with dwarves in space)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Haven't played it yet since I'm also a crummy old man and thus dogshit at shooters
Despite a lot of combat, I wouldn't say this game is primarily a test of your leet twitch skills. The greater challenge imo is processing a ton of visual information: identifying threats and finding the treasure in a dark yet colorful, ever-changing environment. In DRG I'd much rather have a wise old man on my team who knows what's up than an impetuous ninja who can click a mouse fast.

Haven't played it yet since I'm also a crummy old man and thus dogshit at shooters
Despite a lot of combat, I wouldn't say this game is primarily a test of your leet twitch skills. The greater challenge imo is processing a ton of visual information: identifying threats and finding the treasure in a dark yet colorful, ever-changing environment. In DRG I'd much rather have a wise old man on my team who knows what's up than an impetuous ninja who can click a mouse fast.
Interesting, hadn't looked into DRG much so I assumed there was more emphasis on the shooting. Admittedly I'll be a wise old man that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground so I'll be the worst of both worlds getting started but it sounds worth a peek.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Going to agree with this.
I have the reflexes of a dead chicken and still found the game fun.

Surprisingly they added a 120fps mode on PS5
Reeeeeeeeeally. I might have to load it up if for no other reason than I'm curious how that would look on a console on my TV. Haven't played it yet since I'm also a crummy old man and thus dogshit at shooters with a controller and don't do as much gaming as I should. Was surprised how noticeable a difference 30FPS to 60FPS was for Deathloop.
There is a perceptible difference in smoothness between 60 and 120fps for sure, just not as jarring as 30/60. It's a nice feature to have regardless, very few games support 120hz on the PS5 (the only other I can think of is Ratchet).

Can relate to the old man bit.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Real dwarves down a few beers before going on a mission. And none of that Leaf Lover bullshit!

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting, hadn't looked into DRG much so I assumed there was more emphasis on the shooting. Admittedly I'll be a wise old man that doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground so I'll be the worst of both worlds getting started but it sounds worth a peek.
Another upside: although multiplayer is where the game obviously shines, single-player is fully supported and better than serviceable. In lieu of teammates, you get a little helper droid you can command to fly around and gather minerals etc. You are not stuck in a "tutorial zone" and can play any mission type and any difficulty single-player to learn how it all works if you like. Before playing with friends I ran several missions alone. With no pressure to "carry my weight" on a team, I took things at my own pace and was very naturally able to develop awareness and facility with the game's systems and situations.

You won't play a thousand hours of single-player for the sheer joy of it, but it is a really well designed tool to get you up to speed so you can start multiplayer as a fully competent and contributing team member.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Playing this with three friends after the sale. It seems decent but also like it's gonna be good for no more than 30 hours ish given how samey the missions feel. It's really fun for now but thinking past the "new game feel" it is basically just a shooter with destructible terrain, at the end of the day, isn't it?

Zombra

Patron
Playing this with three friends after the sale. It seems decent but also like it's gonna be good for no more than 30 hours ish given how samey the missions feel. It's really fun for now but thinking past the "new game feel" it is basically just a shooter with destructible terrain, at the end of the day, isn't it?
Not sure what else you expected here. There are a lot of different mission types with different wrinkles but yes, the essential experience is teaming up with friends of different abilities to go do a demanding and dangerous job where you all know what generally to expect but the layout is different every time. If you don't enjoy the moment to moment of the work then you should stop. It's kind of the nature of all multiplayer games, isn't it?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's about optimizing your loadouts, getting into higher difficulties for the challenge, and later unlocking the Deep Dives for more challenge and getting weapon overclocks to pimp your gun.

It's a big dick game. Stylish beards, powerful guns.

I disliked the repetitiveness at first, but continued in order to chill with friends, and then the mastery of challenges made it interesting, and the skinner box overclock grinding got me by the balls. I only stopped because of work, but I play from time to time with buddies. I actually don't want to be sucked in again because this game is endless lol.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Zombra no need to be defensive, it was an honest question. I suppose I could see it getting more involved once the difficulty begins to ramp up.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Random map layouts and higher difficulties make sure that it doesn't get too repetitive. Plus, some missions are really hard as balls, and that's what makes it more than just a dudebro shooter. That feeling when everyone is low on ammo, out of nitra, chased by a swarm while getting sniped by Korlok Sprouts and Glyphid Menace, and screaming to get to the chopper drop pod, and then one motherfucker drops into a pit and incapacitates, and you know you never leave a dwarf behind... :shredder:

T45 Paladin

Novice
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I tried it, and the PS5 version does look amazing on a big screen OLED (super vivid, what with the game's amazing colours and lighting). Even the controls aren't bad on a controller, as you don't need pinpoint accuracy for headshots etc like many other shooters. I'll stick to PC though, for the sake of progression. I haven't even touched the mods yet, so that's a whole other bonus thing for PC.

FOR KARL!

Latelistener

Arcane
I've been playing this for a couple of months now: a really decent game with nice procedurally generated levels with deformable terrain, a good progression system (if slow: about 100-150 hours to see everything and probably about 300 hours to unlock everything) and interesting classes. Overall a nice and unique co-op game that can be played solo as well.

Perks and weapon upgrades are a bit uninspired, but together with weapon overlock upgrades you can create some unique builds. I also think it has enough biomes as it is, but some new mission types would be a nice addition.

monilloman

Educated

had the same experience, played for about 20h and got sick of it.

Character progression in coop games should burn in hell.

0wca

Learned
Game is great just doesn't have enough end-game content except for the deep dives. It's worth playing once a week to get those done but need some sort of super dungeon mode or something lengthier.

Curratum

Just bought this today, played a mission solo, loved it intensely. If anyone fancies a party-up game on Steam in the evening EU hours, drop a line.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I joined in a little late to the party but this is one of my favorite multiplayer games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom