Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

almondblight

Arcane
I read everything.
Bad move in the context of PoE. I suggest these things -
The magical formula to enjoy PoE - skip ALL descriptive text in dialogue, skim through the dialogues just so you can get the gist of what is being said (nobody is saying anything important you can't check in the journal), don't click on golden NPCs, don't click on the tombstone symbols, take only the companion (singular) you like (if any), treat it as one massive dungeon crawl you play for the combat, you can safely skip the stronghold stuff (some adventures give good loot though, but that's a fire and forget thing), turn on disposition markings in dialogue, don't pay too much attention to the setting. Some optional things - put auto-pause on enemy sighting, put slow mode to activate automatically when entering combat, check the box to stop your characters from moving when you engage combat, auto-pause on discovering hidden things with mechanics.

For me it also involved skipping the Endless Paths. Every time I tried to do them I just grew bored of the game and stopped playing it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Can you mute the voice-over in options?

I tired that but it also removes the voices of your own NPCs and your PC as well. Not that it's super important but i'm used to having that feedback when i click on them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would you skip the stronghold?

The final version is great.
I don't remember why I wrote that, but since I did it's probably safe to assume I meant something non-trivial with it. I might've meant that you can skip it if you don't want to deal with it/don't like it, i.e. there aren't any negative consequences to ignoring it.

Sunri

Liturgist
Why would you skip the stronghold?

The final version is great.
I don't remember why I wrote that, but if I did it's probably safe to assume I meant something non-trivial with it. I might've meant that you can skip it if you don't want to deal with it/don't like it, i.e. there aren't any negative consequences to ignoring it.

At this point, maybe it would be better to just skip the whole game?

Lacrymas

Arcane
No, it's worth one playthrough for White March alone. However, it is true that base game is borderline unplayable unless you do the things I suggest.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'm not gonna skip anything, i want to see for myself.

BTW, i forgot to mention this is what i finally came up with:

18 7 15 15 15 8

Darcozzi Paladini, background Mercenary.

His name is Galgano Guidotti, the name of a Christian saint who started out as a violent and rash knight but devoted his life to God after a vision by the Archangel Michael:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galgano_Guidotti

This is my way to have my cake and eat it too. I can still roleplay the classic Paladin archetype but i can also follow the Darcozzi disposition by pretending i'm still on my road to full conversion towards an higher spirituality. He will have his passionate and sarcastic side but will also nurture a benevolent disposition.

Take that, Sawyer.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm not gonna skip anything, i want to see for myself.
You are going to regret it and then come to moan about it to us. I'm not exaggerating when I say almost nobody says anything of substance in the whole game, the possible exceptions are Durance and Grieving Mother. I'm not so sure about the latter. Here's the only interesting tidbit that was worth the discussion. When I say nobody says anything of substance, I actually mean it's actively detrimental to the experience to read everything. Base game's writing is aggressively boring and trivial.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Skip yellow backers at the very least though. Fuck them. Nothing of value there.

OH GOD POET ARE YOU ONE OF THEM!?

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
These guys are trying to rob you of great content. You should read all the text as you planned. The NPCs are gold plated to let you know when there's additional content you can learn with your Watcher abilities. Don't take shortcuts and lose out, you only get to experience an RPG for the first time once.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
No. NPC's with names like Drizzleshit and the like can go fuck off.

Yes I made that name up. I can't recall the ones I am thinking of.

Aside from yellow backers and a weak villain I loved the game though.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Maybe, if you read more closely as you would a great book, you would remember. Not everyone's too addle brained from playing Halo that they've lost the patience to enjoy art.
Sorry that NPC's that have nothing to do with the plot are pointless.

XNNvSZO.jpg

Look you can waste time if you want. I did half the game before I realized they were just fluff.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Maybe, if you read more closely as you would a great book, you would remember. Not everyone's too addle brained from playing Halo that they've lost the patience to enjoy art.

Look, if you didn't see how they were part of the plot, you're beyond saving. I'm sorry, but work on your reading comprehension.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Look, if you didn't see how they were part of the plot, you're beyond saving. I'm sorry, but work on your reading comprehension.

Oh yeah they all died and you can talk to spirits. I am in awe. Also you are such a butthurt faggot that a minor critique of a game I love drives you to insults. Please die.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Oh yeah they all died and you can talk to spirits. I am in awe. Also you are such a butthurt faggot that a minor critique of a game I love drives you to insults. Please die.

QED you fucking retard. popcorn.gif :lol:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Dude is bringing up Halo and shit when someone says backer NPC's are poorly written. I think Poet wrote the fluff text.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
weak villain

His reveal was weak as shit.

A far cry from "there are five lights" Irenicus and his "experiments".
I didn't even believe he was the real villain right up until he died because it was so poorly done. That is the weakest part of the game to me. Not any of this balancing shit. You need a good villain for people to give a fuck. They explain more about him in 2 but it is too late.

Codex Year of the Donut

Technically you are right tho. The watcher's ability to interact with them is a part of the plot.

Codex Year of the Donut
weak villain

I didn't even believe he was the real villain right up until he died because it was so poorly done. That is the weakest part of the game to me. Not any of this balancing shit. You need a good villain for people to give a fuck. They explain more about him in 2 but it is too late.
You have no real connection to him whatsoever. Any attempt to create one was hamfisted as hell.

The game would have been better without it even having an explicit villain and solely being about saving(...or not) yourself. Hey, maybe a bit like PST.

Ninjerk

Arcane
weak villain

You have no real connection to him whatsoever. Any attempt to create one was hamfisted as hell.

The game would have been better without it even having an explicit villain and solely being about saving(...or not) yourself. Hey, maybe a bit like PST.
Don't forget he killed those two people you spent 15 minutes with in the beginning of the game!

Bigg Boss

Arcane
weak villain

Don't forget he killed those two people you spent 15 minutes with in the beginning of the game!

That was really it. I bet they banked on that really mattering to some people. God he sucked.

ksemF3s.png

You suck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom