Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Critical role ruined PnP

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Fun Fact: In the Principalities of Glantri (Gazetteer 3), the punishment for rape is forced trannyfication.

Rape is punishable by magical sex-change for a year, permanent for repeat offenders.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Fun Fact: In the Principalities of Glantri (Gazetter 3), the punishment for rape is forced trannyfication.

Rape is punishable by magical sex-change for a year, permanent for repeat offenders.
How would this solve the problem if a woman were doing the raping? :M

larry-david-unsure.gif

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Fun Fact: In the Principalities of Glantri (Gazetteer 3), the punishment for rape is forced trannyfication.

However, "Overdue Debts, Theft, Murder, Rape, Bribery of Public Servants, and Destruction of Private Property are felonies. By Glantrian law, felonies are punishable only during the week following the crime. By the eighth day, at sunrise, if the offender has not yet been apprehended, he may no longer be punished for the crime—legally." :M

Napalm

Novice
Although elves and orcs are both prominent in Tolkien's writings, neither of them were able to produce the type of half-human hybrids presented in

Just passed to say that half-elves, half-orcs and gnomes already existed in Tolkien's stories and have a prominent presence.
I don't remember half-orcs having anything that qualifies as "prominent presence" beyond being one of the origin theories for Saruman's Uruk-hai. As for half-elves, all human-elf pairings were important, but there were only three of those, so actual number of half-elves was miniscule.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Although elves and orcs are both prominent in Tolkien's writings, neither of them were able to produce the type of half-human hybrids presented in

Just passed to say that half-elves, half-orcs and gnomes already existed in Tolkien's stories and have a prominent presence.

The difference is that Tolkien's half-elves have to choose to be Elven and immortal or human and mortal. They get the benefits of their chosen heritage. Thus, half-elves that chose to be Elven gain Elven bonuses while those that chose human gained the human bonuses.

lightbane

Arcane
If orcs are seen as blacks, instead of fantasy Mongols (as some franchises did like Warcraft IIRC), then what trolls would be? Extra-Blacks?
IIRC Shadowrun went with that angle.

S.torch

Arbiter
The difference is that Tolkien's half-elves have to choose to be Elven and immortal or human and mortal. They get the benefits of their chosen heritage. Thus, half-elves that chose to be Elven gain Elven bonuses while those that chose human gained the human bonuses.

True. Someone here that knows the thing.

I don't remember half-orcs having anything that qualifies as "prominent presence"

Not because they weren't main characters it doesn't mean they didn't play a role. The point here beings that these races already existed in Tolkien's work.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In

Not sure if that was a recon on half-orcs or not. Tolkien later said that happened in the past and that was probably what Saruman used. I'm not sure if the "goblin-men" were explicitly spelled out as such in the book. I think Treebeard didn't know what they were, saying "Are they men he has ruined or has he blended the races of orcs and men?" And at Helm's Deep they assumed them to be the work of Saruman's sorcery.

Later in life, Tolkien got specific:
http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Half-orcs
It became clear in time that undoubted Men could under the domination of Morgoth or his agents in a few generations be reduced almost to the Orc-level of mind and habits; and then they would or could be made to mate with Orcs, producing new breeds, often larger and more cunning. There is no doubt that long afterwards, in the Third Age, Saruman rediscovered this, or learned of it in lore, and in his lust for mastery committed this, his wickedest deed: the interbreeding of Orcs and Men, producing both Men-orcs large and cunning, and Orc-men treacherous and vile.[4]

Regardless, it was considered an expressly negative thing and they required some kind of specific breeding program. It wasn't just "orcs are fecund", "take captives" and want to "rape freely at every opportunity" like 1E.

Tolkien (rightly) characterized this racemixing as unnatural and disgusting, and the offspring were evil monsters by nature, not merely Diverse mullattos who could be good or evil (but probably evil), like in AD&D.

edit: JamesDixon forgot he was supposed to be pretending to ignore me again. you've seen my post if you've rated me, smart guy. :roll:

edit:
lmao he removed it :lol:

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, you can get Mule and Hinny. But that would require quite a bit large breeding program because they are kinda infertile.

BTW, how many of you know word Hinny?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
You understand Tolkien half-orks were just a product of transformation that crossbreeded them. Not by actual sexual intercourse. Right?
Not explicitly spelled out in LOTR, but in other works, he basically said they reproduced sexually.

Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressea, that all those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of Orcs in mockery and envy of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes
For the Orcs had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar
These are Silmarillion quotes though, so take them for what you will.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You understand Tolkien half-orks were just a product of transformation that crossbreeded them. Not by actual sexual intercourse. Right?
Not explicitly spelled out in LOTR, but in other works, he basically said they reproduced sexually.

Yet this is held true by the wise of Eressea, that all those of the Quendi who came into the hands of Melkor, ere Utumno was broken, were put there in prison, and by slow arts of cruelty were corrupted and enslaved; and thus did Melkor breed the hideous race of Orcs in mockery and envy of the Elves, of whom they were afterwards the bitterest foes
For the Orcs had life and multiplied after the manner of the Children of Iluvatar
These are Silmarillion quotes though, so take them for what you will.
Yea, but that was a species. But, I never seen anything mentioning orks and something else crosbreeding by sex.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Yea, but that was a species. But, I never seen anything mentioning orks and something else crosbreeding by sex.
Except for the direct quote from Tolkien I posted.
It became clear in time that undoubted Men could under the domination of Morgoth or his agents in a few generations be reduced almost to the Orc-level of mind and habits; and then they would or could be made to mate with Orcs, producing new breeds, often larger and more cunning.
Mate. Implying that orcs not only reproduced via sex, but could be crossbred with other races, provided sufficient preparation were made - indicating it wasn't natural or normal.
There is no doubt that long afterwards, in the Third Age, Saruman rediscovered this, or learned of it in lore, and in his lust for mastery committed this, his wickedest deed: the interbreeding of Orcs and Men, producing both Men-orcs large and cunning, and Orc-men treacherous and vile.
Interbreeding implies sex as well.

Again though, this was a quote from Tolkien later in life, so I'm not sure whether it was his original intention or a retcon.

edit: let me just say that I personally favor Tolkien orcs and half-orcs not necessarily being produced via sex, as I think Silmarillion and quotes from the author decades later aren't proof positive of anything, and it's not really an important issue as far as LOTR is concerned. Saruman was an evil wizard, so him combining races with old magics is a better explanation than orc rape camps and more consistent with LOTR's setting/theme. But the grounds to say half-orcs were made via sex, or crossbreeding of some kind is there.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW I looked into some problematics of Horses and donkeys... How when they have 64 and 62 chromosomes can do crossbreeding, and discovered interesting stuff about a mule crossbred with horse that had something that looked exactly like horse, (but they didn't have genetic sequencing at that time thus we don't know number of chromosomes).

There was something recently, that was fertile, and it reduced number of chromosomes to lower number from two possibilities. The horse however suggest, in the fertile mule horse crossbreeding, it increased number of chromosomes to horse level. So, there is chance the chromosome difference might change in both directions.

Then I seen terror like this:
ZeoaEEv.png

And of course I read about:
Mules.
Hinnies.
Zeedongs.
Tigons.
Wholfin.
Interspecies bred between Spinner Dolphin and Stripped Dolphin.
Liagulep.
And several people asking on Quora if they can impregnate animals...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[
BTW I looked into some problematics of Horses and donkeys... How when they have 64 and 62 chromosomes can do crossbreeding, and discovered interesting stuff about a mule crossbred with horse that had something that looked exactly like horse, (but they didn't have genetic sequencing at that time thus we don't know number of chromosomes).

There was something recently, that was fertile, and it reduced number of chromosomes to lower number from two possibilities. The horse however suggest, in the fertile mule horse crossbreeding, it increased number of chromosomes to horse level. So, there is chance the chromosome difference might change in both directions.

Then I seen terror like this:
ZeoaEEv.png

And of course I read about:
Mules.
Hinnies.
Zeedongs.
Tigons.
Wholfin.
Interspecies bred between Spinner Dolphin and Stripped Dolphin.
Liagulep.
And several people asking on Quora if they can impregnate animals...
Bro you're in dangerous territory.
Abort
Abort
Abort

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom