Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian cultists reviewing BG1/2 - NOW with IWD:EE reviews

Codex Year of the Donut
I wouldn't call it OP then, rather a limitation of the time that has been rectified in many games that came after the Baldur's Gate series.
There's zero good isometric RPGs that came after the IE games. "Rectified". You're probably one of the authors of these reviews. Enjoy the rectifications from Larian.
reminder that this poster hates D: OS because he's terrible at it
I wish I had your outlook on things, then everything would be so easy. But every battle in Divos takes half an hour. What a snooze fest. It's to the point where you dread the next battle.

However bad POE's fights were, at least I always felt in control. In Divos you just watch things unfold and can't do anything for a long while. And when they CC your characters on top of it, oh boy. What would've been over in a matter of minutes with RTWP, takes half an hour in TB.

polo

Magister
Truth to be told it really is annoying that there is no AoE range indicator in IE games.
I disagree. If you know the exact area of a fireball, you can abuse it too much, e.g. tank all enemies just centimeters away from damage, but let all the enemies take it. That's too contrived and OP. The entire idea of uncertainty and precautions when launching a fireball makes it like playing with fire. Great, that's exactly how it's intended.
i actually thought for a time some spells should have some kind of random AOE to make it even more interesting.

Jigby

Augur
Truth to be told it really is annoying that there is no AoE range indicator in IE games.
I disagree. If you know the exact area of a fireball, you can abuse it too much, e.g. tank all enemies just centimeters away from damage, but let all the enemies take it. That's too contrived and OP. The entire idea of uncertainty and precautions when launching a fireball makes it like playing with fire. Great, that's exactly how it's intended.
Indeed, perfect information games are boring. Change my mind.
exception being chess/go

Codex Year of the Donut
I agree, every mage should be a wild mage and the location of targeted spells should be completely random.

Jigby

Augur
I agree, every mage should be a wild mage and the location of targeted spells should be completely random.
Clearly you hate probabilistic games :)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It has to be impossible for someone to be that retarded.

Human ignorance is limitless. Mainly for modern gamers an game journos

G3 negative reviews simply because BG3 isn't RTwP is worse than any of these btw

No, being RtWP or TB is irrelevant. Dark Sun : Wake of the Ravager is a masterpiece and it is TB.

Meredoth's turning around in his grave.

No, the idea of making magic more risky is always interesting. IMO if you are casting a fireball, took a attack of opportunity, you should get a CON check. If failed, it should blow up in your own hands.

Codex Year of the Donut
Clearly you hate probabilistic games :)
No, I just think a mage should know the radius of their spells if they're capable of memorizing and casting them.
If I were implementing it, I'd make each spell have its own related hidden skill for targeting that developed over time & when using it that gradually became more accurate in position/radius representing the mage's expertise with the spell.

But I did not design D&D, therefore if I were implementing D&D, I'd defer to their ruleset.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
because he's terrible at it

His critique seems to be against TB system, not cuz he is bad.

What would've been over in a matter of minutes with RTWP, takes half an hour in TB.

His critique is fine. However, the greatest problem of DOS2 is not the TB system. Is the TB system with ultra slow animations and low lethality. See how combat is fast in this TB game

Here is another game. In less than 30 seconds, he ended the first encounter

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I've never had issues with spell aoe after using them a few times. You quickly develop a feeling for their range. Besides, Fireball isn't something you throw around willy-nilly, you use it to open combat with. If you want safe in-combat aoe spells, Horrid Wilting is king.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I've never had issues with spell aoe after using them a few times. You quickly develop a feeling for their range. Besides, Fireball isn't something you throw around willy-nilly, you use it to open combat with. If you want safe in-combat aoe spells, Horrid Wilting is king.
Horrid Wilting is not a party-friendly spell in PnP. Which is much less of a problem when you have AoE indicators.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Horrid Wilting is not a party-friendly spell in PnP. Which is much less of a problem when you have AoE indicators.

Chain Lightning then. Point is: In the IE games there are party friendly aoe spells.

Besides, mages are not blasters anyway.

Szenhidrat

Novice
I, for one, welcome our new larian overlords. It was time people start to shit on those ugly graphics. I mean... drawings(lol) and paintings(LUL)?? It's not the 13th century anymore.

Zeriel

Arcane
The decline is constant and sharp, and I do not hope for a better world for anyone. In fact, I want my pain to be inflicted on others. I want no one to escape. But even after admitting this, there is no catharsis; my punishment continues to elude me, and I gain no deeper knowledge of myself. No new knowledge can be extracted from my telling. This confession has meant nothing.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The original D&D fireball spell was calculated in volume rather than by radius. They changed it since calculating the volume while inside a dungeon was too complicated, but I'd enjoy seeing a game implement it just so you could see the negative reviews from people throwing a fireball down a narrow corridor for the very first time.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
46 hours in the Irenicus Dungeon good lord. There's no way these reviewers were above the age of 15.
15?

I was 8 when I finished Baldur's Gate 2. And I think my post history here on the Codex can back me up when I say that I'm not the brightest guy around. You just need a basic understanding of how colors and shapes work to determine that buttons with red flames hurt your enemies and buttons with blue shields protect your allies.

Anyway, there's no way that "46 hours" review isn't satire. Too dumb to be real.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
The thing is, after a few hours of playing BG2 with a fireball or two being memorised you know almost perfectly what the range is anyway. For this reason there is no point in hiding it. It isn't a gameplay change only a quality of life one.

Also BG1 (as in the first one) sucked and there are many crpgs made after it that are better. Though perhaps not BG3, i can't know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom