Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian cultists reviewing BG1/2 - NOW with IWD:EE reviews

purupuru

Learned
Yes a mage should know the radius of his spells, as should the player that is playing as a mage. And since they already know the spell radius very well, they don't need additional visual prompt to help them aim the spell correctly.

But those rules were designed with a clear visual feedback, towards the player and not just DM, in mind, namely a grid.
Yes of course. I simply wanted to argue that no visual indicator is the proper simulationism approach and does not unfairly handicap the player.

RIT_SKUA

Literate
Zoomer players are genuinely clinically retarded.
Youth bad please clap
I guarantee there were as many dipshit players back in during BG1/2's release (or whatever generation you prefer to circlejerk) as there are now. It's just easier to more clearly separate the wheat from the chaff now thanks to the widespread proliferation of the internet + a multitude of review filters.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yes of course. I simply wanted to argue that no visual indicator is the proper simulationism approach and does not unfairly handicap the player.
For me a simulation is about being able to access all information you'd expect to have in a somewhat real situation, and nothing more than that. Hiding the mage's insight and training from you does not sound like that.

While you could argue that a magic floating circle isn't the correct way to display it, it is sufficient of a proxy to me.

pomenitul

Arbiter
I first played BG1 when I was 13, my sole experience of RPGs being Diablo 1. I knew nothing about D&D at the time, of course. I created a character, checked the armour class, made a mental note of it. Soon I acquired a leather armour – lo and behold! the number went down upon donning it. It was confusing, but what was I going to believe? That I was better equipped to deal with bandits without a leather armour? It stood to reason that lower = better and that, folks, was that.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Today players are unaware of this "manual" concept, they've been spoiled by in-game wiki/tutorial etc long time ago and I wouldn't really blame them. They can google though any time. Some are unaware of the "directory" concept however and that's pretty funny, yeah.

It's not my fault that Darwin wasn't allowed to do his job. There is still no excuse for people to not know this.

But those rules were designed with a clear visual feedback, towards the player and not just DM, in mind, namely a grid.

Actually, no, miniatures were completely optional in OD&D and AD&D. They didn't become standard until Wizards of the Woke Not-D&D 3.x. Since BG 1 and 2 used the AD&D 2E rules that meant there was a rough even split between those that used minis and those that didn't. Visual feedback was provided via DM description in all case.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Actually, no, miniatures were completely optional in OD&D and AD&D. They didn't become standard until Wizards of the Woke Not-D&D 3.x. Since BG 1 and 2 used the AD&D 2E rules that meant there was a rough even split between those that used minis and those that didn't. Visual feedback was provided via DM description in all case.

Yep and in 4E is IMPOSSIBLE to play without miniatures.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Zoomer players are genuinely clinically retarded.
Youth bad please clap
I guarantee there were as many dipshit players back in during BG1/2's release (or whatever generation you prefer to circlejerk) as there are now. It's just easier to more clearly separate the wheat from the chaff now thanks to the widespread proliferation of the internet + a multitude of review filters.
Yes, but those same people didn't pretend they liked RPGs, they went back to playing something in a different genre and then called people who did like RPGs pretentious idiots.

Last edited:

wishbonetail

Learned
I played mostly consoles and Diablo2 before I discovered BG. Recall I had some mighty fine questions:
>The higher my armor the better, right?
>Why are these cretins keep swinging for five minutes?
>Why everyone hurting me really bad?
>Why am I hurting myself really bad?
>WTF is this 8 max level? Where my 99th level? This shit laughable, it is clearly inferior to Phantasy Star4.
But then I was like one-shoting Firkraag with my solo monk's Quivering palm.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Thanks for the insight. I always assumed AD&D was also played using a grid, because a lot of the dungeon layouts in the AD&D manuals also display a grid-layout of the area's. For earlier editions, that were more rooted in wargaming, I expected them to use rulers like in the few wargaming systems I know of.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The hilarious thing is that the games do come with the manuals and all it takes is for the mouthbreathers to open up the game install directory to see them.
You expect them to actually have the ability to read anything that's not a tweet or that takes more than 10 seconds to read?

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I wish that I could have become the master of the Nymphs in Irenicus dungeon instead of freeing then or not
There's a mod for that. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...azzy-romance-friendship-and-keepable-clara/p1

Just a warning that Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc all won't be very happy about it.

1. All Things Mazzy: Friendship, romance, NPC conversations and more.
4. Minsc-Neera Romance
6. Dorn-HaerDalis Romance
7. Jaheira-Wilson Romance

:prosper:

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Thanks for the insight. I always assumed AD&D was also played using a grid, because a lot of the dungeon layouts in the AD&D manuals also display a grid-layout of the area's. For earlier editions, that were more rooted in wargaming, I expected them to use rulers like in the few wargaming systems I know of.

The DM used gridded paper to make his maps, but it wasn't required for actual combat play. Players would map out the dungeon, but it was used for navigation. Actual battle mats and minis were used in half of the tables I played at.

You expect them to actually has the ability to read anything that's not a tweet or that takes more than 10 seconds to read?

Yes, I expect them to adult.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm way more interested in new kits(mage kits) mods than in any romance mod. In fact, if beamdog had putted more kits in the EE instead of retarded companions like Hexxat, EE would be much better.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
4. Minsc-Neera Romance

:prosper:
There's also a threesome with Viconia and Sarevok, in case you're not already convinced.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm way more interested in new kits(mage kits) mods than in any romance mod. In fact, if beamdog had putted more kits in the EE instead of retarded companions like Hexxat, EE would be much better.

Nobody:
Victor: HEY GUYS HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT MAGES IN DND?!

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
HEY GUYS HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT MAGES IN DND?!

I din't said that Beamdog should have added only mage kits. Blackguard is a quite popular kit added in EE. Sorry for the opinion that beamdog should have added more stuff like blackguard and less stuff like hexxat.

naturally beastiality doesn't count for druids

What if he shapeshifts? hu3hu3h3u

Humbaba

Arcane
i cannot believe jaheira would seek romance right after her husband's death. thats nonsense.
You joke but that is the main reason why I never liked that slut.

„Oh no my husband got tortured to death just now and I saw his mutilated corpse. Anyway, so CHARNAME you been feelin horny lately? Just curious“

Devastator

Learned
i cannot believe jaheira would seek romance right after her husband's death. thats nonsense.
You joke but that is the main reason why I never liked that slut.

„Oh no my husband got tortured to death just now and I saw his mutilated corpse. Anyway, so CHARNAME you been feelin horny lately? Just curious“

Slut for sure. She probably could not resist your heritage since she first met you in the inn, but was in living denial. Khalid finally keeling over probably just made her fully realize it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
4. Minsc-Neera Romance
7. Jaheira-Wilson Romance (SOA & TOB) - (Optional)
An optional romance between Jaheira and the secret NPC Wilson, that absolutely no one asked for and we wrote anyway. It will begin in SoA once you have both in your party if you are not romancing Jaheira yourself.

- SOA: NPC romance spanning ~26 love talks on a timer and three other talks based on events
- These talks will continue into TOB, and there are another 6 talks if you finish them before the Wraith Scene
- Interjections where appropriate with an active romance
- Includes code to make getting Wilson in your party more obvious.
Honestly, this sounds like way more effort than what I put into my master's thesis.

vibehunter

Learned
46 hours in the Irenicus dungeon is a commendable effort. To be so irredeemably bad at a game and yet keep trying. I admire that perseverance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom