Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Chronicles Of Myrtana: Archolos mod for Gothic 2

PrK

Savant
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just played it without voice over enabled. I don't see the value in listening to a language i can't understand.
Do you watch foreign films muted as well? What kind of beyond retarded reasoning is that. The voice overs in Gothic, dialogue or background, are a huge part of the atmosphere and this mod has professional quality ones. Not only is there literally zero reason to play without voice overs, it actively harms the overall experience.

Cunt Dickula!?

Yeah but only like 5% inferior. And i got like a 30% superior experience because i didn't have to hear any polish.

Tygrende

Arbiter
The VO is pretty decent, as far as I can judge that without actually speaking :outrage:. It adds to the atmosphere, compared to everyone being mute at least.

Picketpocketing is only worth it in the long run, there's only one or two occassions where you can steal something relevant for a quest IIRC. The upfront cost is quite steep in terms of gold and LP.
Does pickpocket let you steal keys to otherwise impossible to open doors? Like the backroom of the water mage at Silbach and the door outside Bodowin's hut, they give me "pickpocket the key" vibes. If so it sounds worth, if it's just some gold then meh.

notpl

Arbiter
The VO is pretty decent, as far as I can judge that without actually speaking :outrage:. It adds to the atmosphere, compared to everyone being mute at least.

Picketpocketing is only worth it in the long run, there's only one or two occassions where you can steal something relevant for a quest IIRC. The upfront cost is quite steep in terms of gold and LP.
Does pickpocket let you steal keys to otherwise impossible to open doors? Like the backroom of the water mage at Silbach and the door outside Bodowin's hut, they give me "pickpocket the key" vibes. If so it sounds worth, if it's just some gold then meh.
It does this exactly once, I think. It's really not worth it except for the flavor of being a thief.

Aconitum

Novice

The only key I found that you can steal is
the one to the merchant's guild warehouse from their armorer. I also stole another key from Rodrigo, but I didn't find use for it, I think it was for militia quest. I believe you can also steal keys from Salvi and Ramsey, but I didn't get that ones.
I even looked through the mod files to see if there are some other interesting things to steal, but I don't think so, only a few lore notes and a map caught my attention.

Last edited:

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
As an fyi there are no ambient subtitles for most things so you'd be playing through a game eerily devoid of life. How is that not a 100% inferior experience.
Yes, and this should be rectified with floating subs. The NPC chatter and town crier for instance. There's a lot of missed atmosphere there. It took me until mid Chp3 or 4 to learn you could install the Polish language pack for the GOG version. Feels bad man.

notpl

Arbiter
As an fyi there are no ambient subtitles for most things so you'd be playing through a game eerily devoid of life. How is that not a 100% inferior experience.
Yes, and this should be rectified with floating subs. The NPC chatter and town crier for instance. There's a lot of missed atmosphere there. It took me until mid Chp3 or 4 to learn you could install the Polish language pack for the GOG version. Feels bad man.
Everything in the game is subtitled, including ambient chatter, the trouble is that gothic is really bad about displaying those subtitles even if you have all the relevant settings turned on.

Sjukob

Arcane
You can not steal keys to those doors specifically, you will only be able to go there in chapter 5. You can steal the key to the merchant's guild storage from their blacksmith, it's the only thing that is locked behind pickpocketing as far as I remember.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Everything in the game is subtitled, including ambient chatter, the trouble is that gothic is really bad about displaying those subtitles even if you have all the relevant settings turned on.
What combo of ini settings work for you? I've got everything enabled that should cause them to be displayed, yet they aren't.

Sjukob

Arcane
In other news ELEX 2 will be a much better game than that Archolos mod.
Ah yes, Elex - the game:
  1. With terribly bland visuals due to having no art direction whatsoever, it's almost like Piranhas just took some assets from the internet and mashed them together without even thinking about it;
  2. With extremely generic and forgettable soundtrack;
  3. With a complete mess of a combat system. The only thing that it arguably does better than it's predecessors is ranged combat, arguably because the implementation is very, very janky;
  4. With mostly dull and uninspired writing, the occasional decent dialogue does not help, generally I don't care about notes or what NPCs have to say;
  5. With completely retarded progression and leveling system, I legitimately can not understand how somebody in his right mind thought that it was a good idea to implement such shit.
You know, I don't really like Risen I, but due to it having visuals with at least some effort put into it, and combat and progression systems designed by actual humans it looks and plays all around better than Elex. Elex is just a "hurr durr, look how retarded we are, huehuehue!" type of meme, it has never been a worthwhile game to play.

By the way, I've watched an Elex 2 related video for the first time 2 days ago, it's just going to be more of same, right? The visuals have all the same issues as in the first game, except that the animations became even worse. Are Piranhas really going to release the game with those animations? Are they even trying at all? Are they putting at least minimal effort into this shit? Why do games released 20 years ago, like Gothic and Severance, completely shit all over it when it comes to animation quality? Why does the game has steeper hardware requirements than Doom Eternal, despite Doom looking 10 times better than Elex 2?

In comparison to Archolos, which is free, Elex 2 seems to be terrible, a complete fucking trash.

Mauman

Learned
does using (and then eating) dark mushroom related dishes count towards to the bonus mana effect (ie eat 50 mushrooms, get +5 mana)? If there's apple dishes (I assume there are at some point), same question but for the strength bonus?

Or is the "eat food for stat bonuses" mechanic even still a thing in this mod? (based one what I've read, at least the apples are. Couldn't find anything about the mushrooms).

Tygrende

Arbiter
does using (and then eating) dark mushroom related dishes count towards to the bonus mana effect (ie eat 50 mushrooms, get +5 mana)? If there's apple dishes (I assume there are at some point), same question but for the strength bonus?

Or is the "eat food for stat bonuses" mechanic even still a thing in this mod? (based one what I've read, at least the apples are. Couldn't find anything about the mushrooms).
Yes, all foods that include ingredients that count towards perma stat bonuses (apples for STR, raspberries for DEX, shrooms for mana) still count towards a stat increase. If given food has 5 shrooms in the recipe, you're 5 shrooms closer to a mana bonus. I'm doing a DEX build and so far all foods that include raspberries work as intended.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
There are a couple of loose items in my inventory tied to quests I assume I missed:
Roy's weed stash, found in the ruins above Sailor's retreat. He won't discuss it if you speak with him.
A 'missing cutlass' found near/in some body of water.

A gripe: the quest 'A small gift' is railroaded. You can't open the box, question or report the jogger. If you search the body later in the hotel room the guards automatically aggro.

Can I assume there is a combination of subquest actions that prompt the rest of the pirates to stand down after you fight Cortes in the arena in the later faction quest?

Edit: worth joining Ring of Water?

Last edited:

Alphons

Cipher
Guy in the city asked for something to scratch his back.
No dialogue choice, Marvin proposes a skeleton hand from starting beach, guy accepts and I get 400 EXP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom