Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Dark Souls/Elden Ring modding megathread (Archthrones demo available now)

ADL

Prophet
Now that Elden Ring has thoroughly disappointed me, I have been going through the modding scene of the Dark Souls series and people are doing some really cool shit that I didn't even know was possible with the current set of tools.

You shouldn't play any of these mods on your actual Steam account unless you don't mind playing in the cheater's pool. If you care about that sort of thing, make an alt and family share because you will be soft-banned and matched with cheaters in the unmodded game.

DARK SOULS REMASTERED
473_1643302443.jpg

Dark Souls: Nightfall
is a complete fan-made sequel to Dark Souls taking place after the Dark Lord ending. This is by far the most extensive and ambitious of any of the mods listed in this thread. Nightfall features a new story, new characters and bosses, new world map (built mostly from the existing pieces), and much more. It’s basically a brand new Souls game built using the Dark Souls engine and assets. Combat will be faster-paced, against a mixture of familiar and unfamiliar foes, with brand new voiced NPCs and side-quests.

A demo is available with a full release delayed last minute before the intended release so the full release should be around the corner.
Download the demo

Some cool stuff I found on their twitter feeds about it.
Omnidirectional Bloodborne-style dodging
https://twitter.com/user/status/1360444424480841730

Bloodborne health recovery
https://twitter.com/user/status/1320916925246066691

Bloodlust combat state
https://twitter.com/meowmaritus/status/1320401597881589760

Day & Night cycle
https://twitter.com/user/status/1362597569667465218

First 18 minutes.

63162241-1564534466.png

Dark Souls: Daughters of Ash is a massive re-imagining and expansion of Dark Souls by the primary contributor of Nightfall. It features new bosses, enemies, characters, storylines, weapons, and items, expanded lore, and many new secrets. It offers both modified and brand new content, much of which cannot be discovered in one play-through.

Daughters of Ash has more overall content than the original game and is much more complex, with more dynamic story events and branching paths to take throughout the game. It contains no new game assets (e.g. character models, map assets, dialogue recordings, visual effects) but expands and refreshes the experience by modifying the game's event scripts, placement data, and entity logic.

DARK SOULS II SCHOLAR OF THE FIRST SIN

Dark Souls 2: Seeker of Fire is a massive overhaul mod that touches almost every aspect of the game. It's like Daughters of Ash for the first game but much more extensive. The developer didn't do a good job summarizing it but it's very good and feels like the game Scholar of the First Sin should've always been.

Dark Souls 2: Flames of Old is a mod currently in development by a professional lighting artist to recreate Dark Souls 2 prior to the downgrade where they gutted the lighting system out of the game last minute, thus removing the intended atmosphere as a result. This isn't just some ReShade preset. He's manually adjusting the lighting sources using the Dark Souls Editor and replacing assets. It's very impressive and comes close to the footage prior to the downgrade when it was intended to be next gen only and have an extra year of development.
5NthhNZjot4fSovwqide3V-970-80.jpg.webp

There's about a dozen videos showcasing his work and this channel uploads the showcases. He's always streaming progress and says it'll release sometime in 2023.

DARK SOULS III
Archthrones is an upcoming overhaul mod for Dark Souls 3 that completely overhauls the structure of the game to be more like Demon's Souls and adds new content such as bosses, locations and world tendency using heavily remixed and repurposed assets from Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne and Sekiro. An alternate story unfolds across five unique worlds, each accessed via the Nexus of Embers.

DEMO AVAILABLE NOW https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/1765
FLnhnL3.jpeg

RH9cDWz.jpeg

Cinders is an overhaul mod for Dark Souls 3 where almost everything has been modified in some way. Bosses have been reworked and new ones added. Progression is much less linear. New movesets and weapon arts have been added to make several weapons more interesting. Poise is now passive and active 100% of the time, rather than specifically during weapon swings. Magic has been redesigned to operate in a more fluid way. FP naturally regenerates and casting is designed around this.

This is my favorite Dark Souls 3 overhaul mod. The Convergence is balanced far too heavily around magic builds.
Bcg04nP.png
The Convergence mod for Dark Souls 3 is an exhaustive overhaul of Dark Souls 3 with dozens of new weapons, hundreds of new spells, extensively revamped areas and maps, improved visuals, new enemies, bosses and much more.
Here's an example of a custom boss (spoilers) https://youtu.be/cL31F9Kuguk

ELDEN RING
Elden Ring Reforged is an overhaul of Elden Ring's balance and mechanics with the intent to create a more balanced experience with fair, but still challenging, combat. It is not about "easier" or "harder," but more interesting and balanced combat.

Featuring new gameplay mechanics like deflects and fortunes, a complete enemy bestiary containing knowledge on all enemies and variants in the game, a new collectable item "rune pieces" that greatly enhance and reward exploration of the game's world, rebalanced equipment, spells, and status effects. Modifies enemy AI, custom camera parameters for bosses and redone enemy hitboxes.

The Convergence mod for Elden Ring (Alpha Release) is an exhaustive overhaul of Elden Ring with dozens of new weapons, hundreds of new spells, extensively revamped areas and maps, improved visuals, new enemies, bosses and much more by the same team behind The Convergence mod for Dark Souls 3.

Last edited:

Ravielsk

Magister
Amazing work. Only shame that it looks to be based on the remasters lightning engine.

ChaDargo

Arcane
Just that short video was sick as hell. I'm amazed they can mod the game so heavily.

Has anyone played Daughters of Ash? I've only gotten about halfway through the original because my laptop is shit and can't handle remastered and the original, even with DSFix, runs like trash as well. It's playable until I get to certain areas but... not really. A game like this is the worst to play with framedrops and slowdown at random intervals; I'd die enough with the game running silky smooth.

But I am curious about Daughters of Ash and what anyone thinks of it. I might try to finally beat Sen's Fortress even with the lag, and if Daughters of Ash is amazing, it'd be an extra incentive to put up with the performance issues. What's fucked up to me is that Dark Souls 2 ran perfectly on my computer and I actually beat it a few months back. Not sure how a game that looks twice as good as Prepare to Die edition runs twice as well... oh yeah, japs don't seem to understand how to port games to PC!

Worst part is, Dark Souls 2 was fun and fascinating as hell, but whole world design of Dark Souls 1 is vastly superior. It's like a cruel joke that I can play the glossier yet rushed DS2 but DS1 is beyond my grasp lol

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't even realise that Daughters of Ash mod existed, I'll have to give that a go.

Didn't even know Dark Souls modding had hit the point where people were creating new content rather than just texture swaps.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Daughters of Ash is an amazing mod. It can be rough around the edges at times, but you can't expect a perfectly polished experience from a mod that adds so much stuff. It's definitely worth a playthrough, but only if you have already mastered Dark Souls 1. After that, you should also try The Scorched Contract. Prepare to Die Again is another good one, but inferior to the other two IMHO.

On my old laptop DS1 ran like shit, and I had to play it in windowed mode. But you should try only if you have good eyes.

ADL

Prophet
I didn't even realise that Daughters of Ash mod existed, I'll have to give that a go.

Didn't even know Dark Souls modding had hit the point where people were creating new content rather than just texture swaps.
Dark Souls modding has really taken off in general. This dude started a project to fix DaS2's gutted lighting system and it spun off into a complete overhaul mod (release in 2022)

and this mod is pretty cool for Dark Souls 3
https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/310

Has anyone played Daughters of Ash?
I finished it a few patches after its release including all red phantom versions of the bosses. It's well worth a play after you get the feeling there's nothing more you can experience from playing regular Dark Souls. Also check out the Cinders mod for Dark Souls 3 and Project Scholar now called Old Chaos for Dark Souls 2.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I always wanted to play maps that look like Daggerfall maps in Dark Souls 1!

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
This is pretty impressive
The concepts shown are also neat, and the boss design seems well done (clear, consistent and nothing overblown)

But how the hell did this guy managed to "crack" the engine to such an extent?
And why can't he release those mod tools?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Not sure i like the sped up combat. DS3 is faster without looking Benny Hill spazzy. Should have gone with that.

Vorark

Erudite
Better yet, why speed up Dark Souls combat at all? It's so rare to find good games with slower, cadenced, methodical combat. DS3 and Bloodborne are there for people who want it to be faster.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Better yet, why speed up Dark Souls combat at all? It's so rare to find good games with slower, cadenced, methodical combat. DS3 and Bloodborne are there for people who want it to be faster.
I imagine the creators are using DS1 because it is easier, but they likely prefer the design sensibilities of BB and DS3.

ADL

Prophet
Neat hopefully they put Dark Souls Remastered on sale before then. For some reason it hasn't gone on sale on Steam since December 2019. Need it to go on sale on Steam so I can get it for ten bucks so I can get the PTTD discount.
Fuck Bandai Namco

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Just realized they missed the release date. Supposedly it's coming out later this month.
Nightfall will release on January 21, 2022, one month before Elden Ring.
To answer a common question, Dark Souls: Nightfall will be exclusive to Dark Souls: Remastered. The Remaster has some technical features that were necessary for the scope of the Nightfall mod, so it won't be possible to port this to Prepare to Die Edition.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
What I'm most curious about is the new maps they're teasing about because that is by far the greatest stumbling block of Dark Souls modding as far as I understand it.

Modders can create maps, they can import them into the game, but without the ability to implement navigation nodes or routines to the AI, so whatever critters you put in the map will just stand around and do nothing. If the team behind Nightfall somehow managed to overcome this hurdle it would be really big for DS modding as a whole.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS IF SEVEN POUND EIGHT OUNCE LITTLE TINY BLONDE HAIRED BLUE EYED BABY JESUS EXISTS HE WILL GRANT THE DARK SOULS MODDING COMMUNITY THE LIFE HEALTH AND CREATIVITY OF THE DOOM MODDING COMMUNITY

ALSO THE SHEER TALENT AND DEDICATION OF THE MY LITTLE PONY FANDOM MINUS ALL THE SICK SHIT

Digimon

Educated
Just realized they missed the release date. Supposedly it's coming out later this month.
Nightfall will release on January 21, 2022, one month before Elden Ring.
To answer a common question, Dark Souls: Nightfall will be exclusive to Dark Souls: Remastered. The Remaster has some technical features that were necessary for the scope of the Nightfall mod, so it won't be possible to port this to Prepare to Die Edition.

Supposedly, the release date for the mod is moved back at some indeterminate time after Elden Ring’s release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom