Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there a top 100 list for JRP’s in this sub forum?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Why break it into multiple sub-genres though?
Two reasons:
-Jrpg is meaningless term compared to crpg which has some values which can be attributed to the genre.
Minus turn based(and that only applies to early ones),jrpg's have very few identifiable gameplay elements.They are mostly different genres.
-Comparing different genres makes no sense.
They have completely different gameplay and design objectives.Compare disco to wizardry(or any modern crawler).How the hell can you even compare said games with two completely different audiences in mind?
Crpg addict tried and failed miserably in making a universal rating system.He made a skyrim rating system which shows the problem.
You have to have different values for different genres and can't just shoehorn everything into one rating system.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I mean, even for JRPG fans, are there actually enough good JRPGs to make a Top 100 list?

Maybe it can be more of a "here are 5 clumps of things JRPGs do well, and here are the games who do it best", with all the bitchslapping it would involve.

I see the opposite problem, there are too many of them that different people, for different reasons, can consider top tier, and the votes will be too scattered... For example I am a sucker for SMT and Persona games, but I have no idea what the "Tales of ..." games are about.

The problem with a jrpg or any kind of list is that some great games are not avaible to play because they can't be emulated or they are not translated so it always ends up being a popularity poll regardless of their quality. I have played a shit ton of jap blobbers and even more western ones and i can say with confidence that Dungeon Travelers 2-2 is in the top 5 blobbers of all time, not only jap ones but there's two problems.
A) It's for vita, a console no one bought except the most extreme rpg fans or sony fanboys
B) Remains untranslated to this day
I do think this lists are great for knowing which games you will be able to get a discussion going but nothing more. I'm drunk so i hope i managed to get my point across.

Paradoxically is the accessibility of many classic JRPGs through emulation that introduced me to these games (only few years ago I hadn't a windows PC at all, but only a Linux PC and a Mac, so the best way to play interesting games was through emulation). But I agree that there are many potentially interesting JRPG that are un-accessible for non Japanese speaking people.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
5. Golden Sun series (excluding 3)

I never got the appeal of the Golden Sun games, I tried playing the first one and it was one of the blandest, most clichéd JRPGs I've ever tried if not the most.

Ash

Arcane
-Good level design (!). This is one of the key components as JRPGs (hell, CRPGs too) often have non-existent or minimalist level design, and so I never like those games. Dungeons require figuring out with frequent well-designed interactive puzzle elements, navigation challenges, and hidden rewards. Towns often utilize some of this too.
-Pretty good music
-Very good art.
-OK RPG systems
-Setting & story may seem cliched but it does have it's own unique flavor to some degree.
-Acceptable challenge

It's definitely far from my top JRPG but I consider them worthwhile games, largely because they actually have level design. More involving RPG systems would elevate it a lot for me, but they're just about engaging enough (and unique in ways with the Djinn system).

Last edited:

Reality

Learned
My problem witth Golden Sun is that the Stats vs Burst Summon (djinn system) breaks down I think a litle after treant (I think when you first get ability to have 4 per char instead of 3 per char). For al the game after that Stats are always better and you can tank and spank with 3 beatsticks + 1 partyhealbot through evertthing else... acceptable if it's 3/4 in the game, but I would say that Treant was more like the halfway point.

I definatelyy put it slightly below a good deal of things I already consider 2nd string RPGs. It's OK, not really offensive, but it definattely doesn't deserve "hidden gem" reputation... probbably just the starved GBA audience wanted something to show off.

Personally if you have to pick a best *non-port* RPG on GBA it has plenty of decent SRPGs (Ogre Battle / Fire Emblem / Final Fantasy Tactics) Sure SNES/PS1 games in these 3 same franchises tend to be better than the GBA versions, but imho the best normal GBA JRPGs all have drawbacks that makes me feel the SRPGs are superior

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom