Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Larian cultists reviewing BG1/2 - NOW with IWD:EE reviews

almondblight

Arcane
Why do all the women in BG2 have dozens of rubber bands in their hair?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"But I did not design D&D, therefore if I were implementing D&D, I'd defer to their ruleset."

That is a weird catch-22. Since, according to D&D rules they allow DMs to change the fukkin' rules. YOU FUKKIN' RETART! Why do you hate D&D rules when you arne't even gonna follow them as written?

D&D wants creators to change the rules if they prefer another method.

IDIOT.

Another perosn who doesn't understand D&D AT ALL.

That said, if you are gonna change the rules as written, you should have understanding what you are changing which 4th edition creators certainly didn't and Larian and their lackies or you clearly don't.

FYI, I don't like all the changes that BG series did or some of their eliminations (I want NWP for example), but people like you are garbage at D&D specifically and RPGs in general.

Codex Year of the Donut
"But I did not design D&D, therefore if I were implementing D&D, I'd defer to their ruleset."

That is a weird catch-22. Since, according to D&D rules they allow DMs to change the fukkin' rules. YOU FUKKIN' RETART! Why do you hate D&D rules when you arne't even gonna follow them as written?

D&D wants creators to change the rules if they prefer another method.

IDIOT.

Another perosn who doesn't understand D&D AT ALL.

That said, if you are gonna change the rules as written, you should have understanding what you are changing which 4th edition creators certainly didn't and Larian and their lackies or you clearly don't.

FYI, I don't like all the changes that BG series did or some of their eliminations (I want NWP for example), but people like you are garbage at D&D specifically and RPGs in general.
"Wow a D&D game! I sure do hope the people who made it decided to just throw all the rules out and implement their own because this is why I play D&D!"

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You can't read. Go practice. Before you try Reading Advanced, you need to complete Reading Basics For Dummies.

Ninjerk

Arcane
You joke but that is the main reason why I never liked that slut.

„Oh no my husband got tortured to death just now and I saw his mutilated corpse. Anyway, so CHARNAME you been feelin horny lately? Just curious“

Slut for sure. She probably could not resist your heritage since she first met you in the inn, but was in living denial. Khalid finally keeling over probably just made her fully realize it.

"Oh no, Bhaalspawn-nephew, I'm stuck in the washing tub! W-what are you doing?"

46 hours in the Irenicus dungeon is a commendable effort. To be so irredeemably bad at a game and yet keep trying. I admire that perseverance.

I'd love to get a full RPG's worth of content in the 1st dungeon!

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Go check BG3 gog reviews, it's all old boomers crying that the game isn't RTwP.
and as a bonus, look at how many people blame Larian for faithfully adapting WotC's lore. Half the negative reviews cry about the overabundance of tieflings.
Can't really blame people for that. Just because it's faithful to the setting as it is now doesn't mean it's not a downgrade. Reviews aren't school grades, they are supposed to tell you if the game is worth playing not if the devs did a good job all things considered.

Codex Year of the Donut

Looked in gog.

Page 1 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 0 results
Page 2 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 0 results
Page 3 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 1 result. And is only one of many points that he complained
Page 4 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 0 results
Page 5 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 0 results
Page 6 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 0 results
Page 7 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 0 results
Page 8 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 0 results
Page 9 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 0 results
Page 10 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 0 results

Can you name reviews?

In the page 3, RtWP is only one complains of this guy in page 3, and is one of many critiques towards BG3. I don't agree with all of then, like party limit. A lot of games has party limit = 4 outside of consoles. Both Dark Sun CRPG's had it. Other of his critiques are true but also applies to other games, for eg, the intelligent goblins, I think that is a problem? yes, but is not as if BG2 din't had a problem with hordes of hoboliches in every poor tavern basement. I din't saw many boomers complaining cuz it is RtWP in fact, most CRPG boomers played Strategic simulation inc games which are all turn based, except ravenloft : strahd possession

Yzm6fIq.png
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Codex Year of the Donut
You can't read. Go practice. Before you try Reading Advanced, you need to complete Reading Basics For Dummies.
I always wondered who those people were that bought D&D games that had absolutely nothing to do with D&D beyond being set in a licensed WotC universe. It appears I found one.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Looked in gog.

Page 3 - CTRL + F "rtwp" = 1 result. And is only one of many points that he complained

Can you name reviews?

In the page 3, RtWP is only one complains of this guy in page 3, and is one of many critiques towards BG3. I don't agree with all of then, like party limit. A lot of games has party limit = 4 outside of consoles. Both Dark Sun CRPG's had it. Other of his critiques are true but also applies to other games, for eg, the intelligent goblins, I think that is a problem? yes, but is not as if BG2 din't had a problem with hordes of hoboliches in every poor tavern basement. I din't saw many boomers complaining cuz it is RtWP in fact, most CRPG boomers played Strategic simulation inc games which are all turn based, except ravenloft : strahd possession

Yzm6fIq.png
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Most reviews has many paragraphs and one or two lines mentioning that they would prefer RtwP. So far, according to what you posted, seems like TB is a minor nuance for this people, not a complete dealbreak. Being too similar to DOS2 and low lethality 5e seems like the greatest problems.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I always wondered who those people were that bought D&D games that had absolutely nothing to do with D&D beyond being set in a licensed WotC universe. It appears I found one."

I also found someone who pretends to be about hardcore D&D rules but doesn't even know what fukkin' RULE 0 is.

Nobody is stating you should take a D&D game and make it into FO rules, but this idea that you can't make changes at all spits in the face of fukkin' Rule 0 which is the ultimate D&D rule. If you are anti Rule 0 you are anti D&D. So, just admit it, you hate D&D and want the rules changed.

Look, at that, catch-22 for a fukkin' idiot.

The key is to make your game D&D rules but still find a way to keep it D&D. BG series did. There are doubts DOS3... oops. BG3 will do that. HOLY FUKK NUTZ.

Codex Year of the Donut
"I always wondered who those people were that bought D&D games that had absolutely nothing to do with D&D beyond being set in a licensed WotC universe. It appears I found one."

I also found someone who pretends to be about hardcore D&D rules but doesn't even know what fukkin' RULE 0 is.

Nobody is stating you should take a D&D game and make it into FO rules, but this idea that you can't make changes at all spits in the face of fukkin' Rule 0 which is the ultimate D&D rule. If you are anti Rule 0 you are anti D&D. So, just admit it, you hate D&D and want the rules changed.

The key is to make your game D&D rules but still find a way to keep it D&D. BG series did. There are doubts DOS3... oops. BG3 will do that. HOLY FUKK NUTZ.
Rule 0 exists because everyone at the table agrees with it, and if you don't, you can voice your complaints directly to the DM.
When you're creating a game for millions of people, it just means you're subverting expectations because while everyone has their own house rules, there's generally an agreed upon version of what D&D is.
Or, to simply quote the AD&D DMG
Know the game systems, and you will know how and when to take upon yourself the ultimate power. To become the final arbiter, rather than the interpreter of the rules, can be a difficult and demanding task, and it cannot be undertaken lightly, for your players expect to play this game, not one made up on the spot.
and from BECMI:
it’s not fair to change the rules unless everyone agrees to the change.

With regards specifically to rule 0, AD&D 2E DMG:
The AD&D game is yours, it's mine, it's every player's game. So is there an "official" AD&D game? Yes, but only when there needs to be.

These officially licensed video games are(well, should have been, anyways) meant to be what is referred to here as "official AD&D", as is understood.

If, say, we pretend that NWN was true to the ruleset and someone made a mod for NWN that changed the rules, that would be a good example of a video game analogue to someone changing rules at their own table from what is written in the official material.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Rule 0 exists because everyone at the table agrees with it, and if you don't, you can voice your complaints directly to the DM.
When you're creating a game for millions of people, it just means you're subverting expectations because while everyone has their own house rules, there's generally an agreed upon version of what D&D is.
Or, to simply quote the AD&D DMG"

You can decide if the DM's rule changes are acceptable to you BEFORE you buy the game assuming they are honest about it. It is why I ain't likely to buy BG3 until it is on heavy disucount.

None of us are forced to play the game devlopers' D&D games, YOU FUKK NUT.

"If, say, we pretend that NWN was true to the ruleset and someone made a mod for NWN that changed the rules, that would be a good example of a video game analogue to someone changing rules at their own table from what is written in the official material."

And? People make their mods for NWN and change the rules all the time from both the base NWN and the base DnD - some of which gets it close to pnp some further away. *shrug*

Also, NEWSFLASH: Every single DnD game needs WOTC/TSR/SM's perimission before being made so they are ALL official. This includes TB DnD games like POR2 and TOEE or RT w/pause games like NWN or BG or action rpgs like BGDA.

They are ALL official DnD products. YOUR (or my) opinions are fukkin' irrelevant.

We do get to choose if we buy/play them though. Just like any pnp group.

You clearly do not know, understand, or even like DnD so FUKK OFF, nazi brain.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sven deserves to be a 5th face on mount Rushmore if he ends up killing RTwP dead. That is all.

Yep. Who cares if there are lv 3 archdruids, armies of goblin wizards despite goblins being brainlets, ultra slow animation + low lethality that makes the combat a chore, Astarion, barrelmancy, awful writing, 90GB+ of motion captured Astarion sex scenes, lv 1 wizards with a more epic story than Elminster with ancient netherese magical nukes(that nobody steals such valuable artifact from him), Astarion, awful resting that teleport you into a camp and teleports back, Astarion, DOS2 style graphics and UI(...) all that matters is that it is TB.

That said, despite every critique taht I have against Larian, one thing they did right. They re popularized TB games. If wasn't by DOS1/2, I'm pretty sure that PoE2 and PFKM would't have received TB optional mode.

And BG3 looks like DOS2. Hell, Black Geyser who don't follow D&D rules fells more BGish than BG3.

These officially licensed video games are(well, should have been, anyways) meant to be what is referred to here as "official AD&D", as is understood.

I strongly agree. If the developer wanna make paladins eunuchs, and barbarians female only mothers who had misscarriage under strict formal training Lacrymas style, they can. But I don't expect to see a eunuch paladin and a barbarian academy in a official D&D game. Nobody criticize Pierre for changing 3E rules cuz he is changing the rules to fit the fictional world that he created better. It is not a official D&D product.

So there are no rule lawyer wanting it to be like D&D.

The most popular mods for games like NWN2 are those who makes it more akin to P&P like spell fixes and PRC ofr NWN1.

FriendlyMerchant

Looked in gog.

Can you name reviews?

Yzm6fIq.png

His point about the lack of breast and butt size sliders is great. If you're going to fill the game with hundreds of cutscenes that exist only to waste my time, you could at least put breast, butt, and thigh sliders to ensure I get a decent experience.

His point about the lack of breast and butt size sliders is great. If you're going to fill the game with hundreds of cutscenes that exist only to waste my time, you could at least put breast, butt, and thigh sliders to ensure I get a decent experience.
Thank you Merchant anon! Good strong 1% wealths friend anon! I do love you anon! I do! You are a good strong friend anon!

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
That said, not the biggest fan of Baldur's Gate 2 myself, but I cannot remember having any problems whatsoever in the maybe 3 times I've played through the game.
:philosoraptor:
Is it already a: "I played it 1000+ hours, this game sucks!" case or just a case of so much free time that one plays long games he is not a big fan of - three times.
I don't remember how much I played it as a kid, but I didn't care for it then, so I replayed the series a few years back, assuming that since its such a beloved title, I must just have missed something to it. If there is, I'm still missing it.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut

Wizards of the Woke Not-D&D is not D&D. It's branded as such, but it has zero of Dave and Gary's rules in it. Thus, the people making the complaint are right. It's not AD&D or even OD&D. It's Wizards of the Woke Not-D&D.

Gradenmayer

Learned

Looked in gog.

Can you name reviews?

Yzm6fIq.png
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Most reviews has many paragraphs and one or two lines mentioning that they would prefer RtwP. So far, according to what you posted, seems like TB is a minor nuance for this people, not a complete dealbreak. Being too similar to DOS2 and low lethality 5e seems like the greatest problems.
Of course they don't find it an issue- RtwP sucks.

These are not nearly as retarded as those BG 2 reviews on steam though, gotta agree. Rusty reaching hard.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wizards of the Woke Not-D&D is not D&D. It's branded as such, but it has zero of Dave and Gary's rules in it. Thus, the people making the complaint are right. It's not AD&D or even OD&D. It's Wizards of the Woke Not-D&D.

Yep. OSR games like AS&SH or LotFP are way more D&D than anything that Woketards ever published. If was up to WoTC, D&D would be a wow clone since 4E.

Of course they don't find it an issue- RtwP sucks.

Only I'm indifferent with RtWP and TB? I mean, there are a lot of great TB D&D games(ToEE, Dark Sun - both games) and bad TB games, just like we have a lot of great TB D&D games(BG1/2) and bad RtWP games. "but bg1 and 2 was rtwp" so what, neverwinter was a turn based mmo in 1991, then a RtWP(sp)/RT(multiplayer) game and then a generic wow clone. I just wish that Larian would give us at least the option to speed up animations up to 10x like Kingmaker did. Turn Based is only a problem if the game is too low lethality and has ultra slow animations, I never finished Wizardry 8 due it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom