Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
1. Evilification of the Golden City seems to have happened after. The lore(church history) stated that Magisters went to the golden city, it was awesome, turned evil, and the Maker turned them into Darkspawn. Corypheus states that they arrived at the Golden City and it was already empty and full of Darkspawn. Darkspawn(and this isnt really covered in the games too well) have this corrupting effect on everything they touch, its like an aura that radiates, so I assume the Golden City looked more and more like Barad-Dur the longer the Darkspawn were around.
As I said, if the Golden City was already evil by the time the magisters arrived, it would have been visible to everyone as a dark rather than golden city, and thus the magisters would have no reason to want to go there.

"Seems to have happened after" - after what? You're positing a city that looks golden from the outside, is actually full of evil from the inside, and then starts looking evil from the outside after the magisters invade it. This is nonsense.

When Hawke meets Corypheus in the DA2 DLC he confirms that the "golden city" was an illusion
He confirms nothing of the sort.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Damn, I remember when DA:O first came out and I believe that way back then lore was genuinely interesting. There were some extremely obvious real world parallels (Tevinter was clearly late Byzantium mixed with some Near Eastern/Persian motifs, qunari were very clearly Ottoman Turks dressed as militant Confucians, so on and so forth), but at the same time setting was basically built on mysteries and unknowable esoteric truths. What’s the Black City? Are archdemons old gods? What really happened with the qunari, where did they come from and what’s their ‘real deal’? What’s up with the Maker? There’s a lot of stuff like that if you care to dig. That they opted to walk the path of EXPLAINING EVERYTHING is just beyond fucking lame, I hate that they’ll evidently just explain and dispel the setting by the time next game finishes.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
:hmmm:

The light. We sought the golden light. You offered... the power of the gods themselves. But it was... black... corrupt.

Honestly speaking there's a way to salvage Chantry's version of this history starting with quote provided. The City was indeed Golden, but when magisters breached it and phased in it was already corrupted by their sin – and it was, thus, already Black, made this way because of their desecration. The Maker is an Abrahamic God with some Hellenic twist (he’s very arrogant and tends to easily take offense [world is basically screwed until the Chant will be sung in every part of it, if that’s not hubris...]), he’s omnipotent and he works fast, there should be no issue with Heaven deteriorating in manner of nanoseconds with magisters committing their sin. That’s why it was Golden when they were going there, when they ended up it was already corrupted by their pride.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot

The light. We sought the golden light. You offered... the power of the gods themselves. But it was... black... corrupt.
Yeah, that's the point I addressed in my post.

he’s omnipotent and he works fast, there should be no issue with Heaven deteriorating in manner of nanoseconds with magisters committing their sin. That’s why it was Golden when they were going there, when they ended up it was already corrupted by their pride.
This is was I assumed when I played the game, but nobody in DAI ever thinks of the possibility of instantaneous corruption as a possibility, which makes me think the writers also didn't think of it.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
This is was I assumed when I played the game, but nobody in DAI ever thinks of the possibility of instantaneous corruption as a possibility, which makes me think the writers also didn't think of it.
At the moment when DA:I happens I don't believe that writers assigned to this series are capable of anything more sophisticated than ANCIENT ALIENS ELVES ARE BEHIND EVERYTHING and ALL MYSTERIOUS STUFF IS IN FACT BORING AS FUCK MUNDANE STUFF BUT OOOLD.

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
He seemed pretty genuine and had no real reason to lie. However, "partial amnesia" could be a way to resolve this contradiction. Sidereal magisters seem to have recurring problems with memories. The Architect didn't seem to remember anything about being a Tevinter magister or visiting the golden/shitty city. And Corypheus initially didn't remember anything, and seemed to only gradually regain his memories. Perhaps, he didn't regain all of them.

Potentially, we could run into a third shadowspawn magister who reveals an entire episode where they arrived into the Golden City, tried to ascend to godhood, and fucked everything up.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Potentially, we could run into a third shadospawn magister who reveals an entire episode where they arrived into the Golden City, tried to ascend to godhood, and fucked everything up.
Oh, we surely will. These were always just Old Elven fags having a divine orgy in the City, and some nasty Tevinter cismales tried to ruin it all with their patriarchy, boom! Stuff happened.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's amusing how little I remember about the actual scenes of Inquisition. I stumbled upon this and it made me think about it
Inquisition-Second-Inquisition-formation-concept.jpg

Look at all the effort they put into this scene -- it even has storyboarding, probably dozens if not a hundred or more people each putting in hours upon hours of work.
And I don't remember it at all.

I can think of quite a few memorable scenes and fights in DAO. Morrigan's mother, Redcliffe assault, Landsmeet, assault on the human noble estate, lots of the weirder darkspawn stuff that happens in the deeproads, etc.,
When I think of DAI, idk. Judging people in the castle I guess? The time travel quest is probably the only one that stuck with me.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
It's amusing how little I remember about the actual scenes of Inquisition. I stumbled upon this and it made me think about it

Look at all the effort they put into this scene -- it even has storyboarding, probably dozens if not a hundred or more people each putting in hours upon hours of work.
You don't remember it because it wasn't in the game.
Looks like an alternative and more elaborate take of the scene where you first arrive at the big fort, and probably another consequence of the 7th gen cuts.

Gradenmayer

Learned

I can think of quite a few memorable scenes and fights in DAO. Morrigan's mother, Redcliffe assault, Landsmeet, assault on the human noble estate, lots of the weirder darkspawn stuff that happens in the deeproads, etc.,
When I think of DAI, idk. Judging people in the castle I guess? The time travel quest is probably the only one that stuck with me.
Dogshit script will remain dogshit, no matter how many resources you pour into realizing it.

Unskilled losers getting lead writing position is a common issue in most media, because people who hire these hacks have never read a book in their life and can't tell that they are being fed literal trash.

Gradenmayer

Learned

You don't remember it because it wasn't in the game.
Looks like an alternative and more elaborate take of the scene where you first arrive at the big fort, and probably another consequence of the 7th gen cuts.
It's a scene that plays right after you arrive to the Skyhold. With less NPCs, but it matches for the most part.

Camel

Scholar
The elves are literally behind everything!

The elves are also the niggers of that setting, so the Bioware message is:

Worship the niggers, they was kangz and shit.

Oh and lol there's no god.

Nuking Edmonton would be the right move. Just to make sure.
The elves are both Negroes and Jews of DA with ghettoes and oppression.
When I took on the GM role, I talked about rebuilding our reputation, and that remains a huge priority. We are laser-focused on building back the trust of our fans and community, and we plan to do that by delivering the types of games that we are best known for and ensuring they are of the highest quality.
It’s telling how someone in charge of BioWare understands that the company is a laughing stock of the game industry and they have to rebuild it basically from scratch. He also doesn’t tells about diversity and wokeness so far.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've seen absolutely nothing about DA4 that looks interesting. The series is essentially completely unrelated to DAO, it has become a romance simulator for obese single women.

But how much do we really know about DA4, isnt it a bit early to make any assumptions and or write the game off?

I like you BruceVC, but how can you seriously ask this after getting the 1-2 dick punch of DA2 and DAI? Furthermore, how can you have played/tried to play those and not conclude that Rusty is completely right?

In reply to your earlier question about trying DA4, the answer is fuck no unless some certified non-retards here endorse it. I don't envision this happening.

Cael

Arcane

Honestly speaking there's a way to salvage Chantry's version of this history starting with quote provided. The City was indeed Golden, but when magisters breached it and phased in it was already corrupted by their sin – and it was, thus, already Black, made this way because of their desecration. The Maker is an Abrahamic God with some Hellenic twist (he’s very arrogant and tends to easily take offense [world is basically screwed until the Chant will be sung in every part of it, if that’s not hubris...]), he’s omnipotent and he works fast, there should be no issue with Heaven deteriorating in manner of nanoseconds with magisters committing their sin. That’s why it was Golden when they were going there, when they ended up it was already corrupted by their pride.

The Maker may or may not exist. The problem with the entire spiel of DA history is right there in the very first cutscene in DAO: "The Chantry teaches us..."

What you are told is always only a VERSION of history, not THE history.

Cael

Arcane
Stop acting like this was ever a coherent setting or that the writers gave a flying fuck.
It was a coherent setting in many ways. And then DAI happened.

DAO and DA2 added questions. It danced around answering them. Even that scene from Cory is only his version of events. He could be lying through his teeth (and the Chantry would most probably portray it as such). We don't know for sure.

Where DAI fucked up is that it decided to answer the questions. That is when shit hit the fan.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It never was a coherent setting because the writers never intended it to be. Because Bioware is neither capable nor willing to set a basic canon for their settings.

And saying anything positive about DA2 disqualifies your opinion completely.

Cael

Arcane
It never was a coherent setting because the writers never intended it to be. Because Bioware is neither capable nor willing to set a basic canon for their settings.

And saying anything positive about DA2 disqualifies your opinion completely.
Not willing is the correct answer. By not putting everything to paper, they allowed players to make up their own mind what is real, what isn't. It allowed imagination to flourish.

Of course, when the developers do that, players start forming their own head-canon, and believe with all their hearts that that is the only truth. So, when DAI came along and answered questions, and those answers were NOT what certain players believed to be "the Truth(tm)", the result is someone like you. That was why DAI was a big mistake from a storytelling point of view.

BruceVC

Magister
I've seen absolutely nothing about DA4 that looks interesting. The series is essentially completely unrelated to DAO, it has become a romance simulator for obese single women.

But how much do we really know about DA4, isnt it a bit early to make any assumptions and or write the game off?

I like you BruceVC, but how can you seriously ask this after getting the 1-2 dick punch of DA2 and DAI? Furthermore, how can you have played/tried to play those and not conclude that Rusty is completely right?

In reply to your earlier question about trying DA4, the answer is fuck no unless some certified non-retards here endorse it. I don't envision this happening.
So I havent played DA:I yet but I have played DA:O and DA2 and I enjoyed both of them and I can give you the reasons why

I have also played all the ME games so I have experience with the new Bioware game design so I am cautiously optimistic about DA4 but I am prepared to admit it may be a bad game but I cant see how anyone can say " its definitely going to be bad game " if its still in development phase?

And I can only base my opinion on what I have played from the actual gaming company and since I enjoyed all the games I have played from Bioware I believe I will enjoy DA4 :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom