Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

flyingjohn

Arcane
Everybody complained that the story was too complicated, so here's a simpler one
People complained because the story and characters were boring as fuck minus the meta narrative.
The bosses lacked the characterization of Foxhound and Dead Cell
Yeah,dead cell...Truly amazing characterized bosses,yup.
Minus fatman(who had actual mgs vibes) nobody gives a fuck about any of them,including vamp.
They barely said anything and their stories were relegated to optional radio conversations
Good.
The healing and camouflage menus were more tedious than anything
Agreed.

Camera wise it made the game a actual stealth game instead of a glorified pacman.
And the level design for the first time feels like a coherent whole.Something msg2 tried and failed miserably with the shell.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Camera wise it made the game a actual stealth game instead of a glorified pacman.

I use the Subsistence camera as little as possible. The areas were designed around the fixed camera from the original version. Snake is tracked pretty well and trees become transparent so that you can see. There were also items meant to make the fixed camera easier on the player. The classic camera has some pretty nice angles and the environments are better viewed from afar. I do use the new camera too, but it's boring to rely on it all the time.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
MGS 2 gets more and more overrated each day it passes. If it didn't have the 2meta4u plot it would be seen as a failure. Also I thought the boss battles were dogshit at the time but people apparently praise them. The Plant is terrible gameplay wise, just backtracking all over doing boring objectives.

NoSoup4you

Learned
MGS2 was my first one, and it blew my mind at the time. I bought it as a gift for a friend, played the tanker chapter before I next saw him, and immediately bought myself a second copy. I still like the plot, even though the dialogue needs merciless editing and trimming like the whole series. Still, it somewhat predicted this shitty society, and even ignoring the story, there was an amazing amount of weird little tricks and easter eggs to discover. So fun, I probably beat it ten times over a couple of years. Metal Gear Ray fight on extreme was a bitch.

I have to admit MGS3 is the best in the series, but I wish it had been a satisfying conclusion to MGS2 rather than a prequel. By the time they got around to actually concluding the story, they had lost the mojo.

MGS4 is underrated, although only the first half of the game is worth playing (before the zombies appear). It picks up near the very end with a nice infiltration map and final boss battle, but it might not be worth going all the way just for that.

Peace Walker is the best for people who are lukewarm on the series. Solid stealth, fun objectives, stays consistent throughout, less bullshit in general.

Silva

Arcane
Don't know what you guys are talking about, but as a non-fan of this series (only played MGS3 before), I found Phantom Pain a fucking masterpiece. Among the best stealth games, right there with Thief, Chaos Theory, etc. (a pity the story is so retarded)

Caim

Arcane
The issue with The Phantom Pain is that you were given so many options to deal with your sneaking missions they became trivial near the end. Sure, your enemies adapt to your tactics but they have to choose between a gas mask and a helmet, so by packing both gas grenades and a sniper rifle with tranquilizer rounds you can empty out enemy bases with ease. And that's without getting help from Quiet or D-Dog to give you wallhax and "press x to die" buttons.

But yes, the story was ass and incomplete. It's a single buttock.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's best to think of Metal Gear as a mountain that peaked at MGS2.

Absolutely fucking not.
Like holy shit man, you are dangerously close to sounding like Kojima fanboy...

The "game" is very interesting as the subject matter of a case study - like SBH Critical Close-up video essay - but aside from the Tanker level, MGS2 is a mediocre game and even a redundant one if you played the 1st one (just because it does that on purpose doesn't make it good)

MGS3 ... I wish it had been a satisfying conclusion to MGS2 rather than a prequel.

MGS2 was never meant to be continued
That's why MGS4 is dogshit fanservice and also the reason Kojima became disillusioned with Konami and the MG series+fans.

I enjoyed MGSV a lot but the story was a disappointment. The narrative is spread too thin and there is no satisfying payoff at the end. What saddens me the most is that better editing, a little rewriting, creative use of the existing assets and maybe selling the "51st mission" or something like that as DLC would significantly improve the game's story and its conclusion at a reasonable cost to Konami. A better experience would be possible, if there were the will. But that ship has long sailed.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
A big problem is that so many of the missions are just random bullshit that has no consequence. You're kidnapping some scientist, or assassinating some soldier, or freeing hostages or whatever, but it's immediately forgotten at the end of the mission. When you get an objective in MGS1, 2 or 3 it actually means something, it has consequences for the main characters and advances the story.

Phantom Pain would be a much better game if they trimmed down the number of missions significantly, and ditched the open world aspect. Keep the big open bases, but have it a series of smaller maps that are different than each other rather than infiltrating outpost 73 hundreds of times.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A big problem is that so many of the missions are just random bullshit that has no consequence. You're kidnapping some scientist, or assassinating some soldier, or freeing hostages or whatever, but it's immediately forgotten at the end of the mission. When you get an objective in MGS1, 2 or 3 it actually means something, it has consequences for the main characters and advances the story.

Phantom Pain would be a much better game if they trimmed down the number of missions significantly, and ditched the open world aspect. Keep the big open bases, but have it a series of smaller maps that are different than each other rather than infiltrating outpost 73 hundreds of times.
MGS5 got the open world cancer, which ruined some of the game. I fucking hate these games which give you a huge ass world and the developers litter the map with inconsequential random side missions.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

MGS5 got the open world cancer, which ruined some of the game. I fucking hate these games which give you a huge ass world and the developers litter the map with inconsequential random side missions.
You hate open worlds in general though

lightbane

Arcane
Because open worlds became boring, empty places with copy-pasted features by design. It became the new fad and it's usually way worse than when games copied GTA (see Jak 2, for example).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

That is true. :) There are only a handful of open world games I like, mostly those who are smaller in scope, which have handcrafted content instead of copy-paste shit.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
3 you meant.

MGS3 was when Kojima started listening to the fans too much. Everybody complained that the story was too complicated, so here's a simpler one. The story is kind of dull from the beginning of Operation Snake Eater to Groznyj Grad. The bosses lacked the characterization of Foxhound and Dead Cell. They barely said anything and their stories were relegated to optional radio conversations. The healing and camouflage menus were more tedious than anything. Could have been integrated with the gameplay better, rather than halting the game. Still a damn good game, but not top Kojima.
What the actual fuck is this?

MGS3 is peak kino. It's basically a James Bond movie if Japs would have come up with James Bond.

It's quite literally, the perfect game.

Also a very unpopular opinion:
Ground Zeroes >>> The Phantom Pain

The demo was basically better than the final game.

GG Kojima, his final fuck you to us all before fucking off to do god knows what.

Falksi

Arcane
MGS 2 gets more and more overrated each day it passes. If it didn't have the 2meta4u plot it would be seen as a failure. Also I thought the boss battles were dogshit at the time but people apparently praise them. The Plant is terrible gameplay wise, just backtracking all over doing boring objectives.

Agreed. MGS1 was fantastic, but MGS2 was essentially homo-white-wig tranny version with a totally nonsensical ending.

But it's still way better than V.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I fucking hate these games which give you a huge ass world and the developers litter the map with inconsequential random side missions.
I would agree except that MGSV has more than enough toys to keep me engaged, you can hardly compare it to shit like asscreed or whatever.

maydaymemer

Educated

That is true. :) There are only a handful of open world games I like, mostly those who are smaller in scope, which have handcrafted content instead of copy-paste shit.
what open worlds do you like

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I like to go outside personally.

No, really. I like to mow my lawn. Winter is hell.

Back to you Snake...

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

what open worlds do you like
Gothic 1-2, New Vegas, Sleeping Dogs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom