Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Worthwhile games from 2017-2022

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Factorio
Wreckfest
BallisticNG
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Realms of Antiquity The Shattered Crown
Baba Is You
Ion Fury
Overload

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Fallout 76 and Cyberpunk77. I had a blast ranting about those two on the 'dex and to anyone else who didn't want to listen. So worth the meager amount of yuroshekelz I had to invest!

What? You didn't say "worthwile to play"! :obviously:
:troll:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think the enhanced second edition of Enderal released in 2019 qualifies (it's a Skyrim total conversion mod; basically an entirely new game that happens to use the Skyrim engine).

The base version of Enderal was already released in summer 2016 and in 2019 we released a improved version on Steam, with a lot of extra content. A detailed FAQ for the Steam Version can be found here.

(Its prequel, Nehrim, is great too, which uses the Oblivion engine.)

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Lots of good stuff was already posted. I'd add:
Ghostrunner (2020)
Sonic Mania (2017)
Dead Cells (2018)
Slay the Spire (2019)

Last edited:

thelegend

Learned
Mediocre to Good:
Sekiro
Death Stranding
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Astral Chain
Horizon Zero Dawn
Yakuza 0
Nioh
RDR2

Excellent :
Pathologic 2
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Breath of the Wild
Metroid Dread
Ys VIII
Neir Replicant

dacencora

I will second recommendations for Fire Emblem Three Houses, Metroid Dread, Shin Megami Tensei V, and Strange Journey Redux

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
Prey 2017 was a high point for me. Enjoyed it ALOT.
Prey (the one by Arkane studios)
Two pages long and TWO mentions of Prey; we deserve this decline.
But, my two cents:

Prey 2017 - 10 years from now chuckleheads will be pointing to this like it's the Brandenburg Concertos and wondering why games like that aren't made anymore. If you don't buy good stuff you don't get more good stuff

Elex - Pretty good PB eurojank

Divinity: Original Sin - May be early 2010s but it's the only cRPG I've finished in the past 5 years. It's better than the sequel.

Pillars of Eternity - I came close to finishing this and may get back to it. If you like that old IE stuff like Baldur's Gate you can't really go wrong. The music and graphics are spot-on and the gameplay is very balanced :balance:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - Standard cyberpunk ImSim. I rather liked it but it's not Prey. If you're thinking of playing Cyberpunk 2077 play DEMD instead:neveraskedforthis:

Horizon: Zero Dawn - Solid open world mega-budget AAA kitchen-sink title. For maximum appeal to the widest audience, it's gorgeous where it needs to be and vapid where it needs to be. Also, SJW nonsense :codexisfor:

Outer Worlds - The charming retro sci-fi vibes are best consumed with copious amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol.

The Technomancer - Jankiest Eurojank sci-fi action RPG that's way better than it has any business being.

Everspace - Rogue-like in a spaceship. Scratches the itch like Elite Dangous never could.

Calthaer

Educated
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
These are the ones I've enjoyed the most (many non-RPGs though):
  • Northgard

I've been crushing on this game so hard lately it's insane. It's an RTS, nominally, but your progress is largely locked behind timers (for creating new villagers, building things, resource gathering, etc.), giving it a very turn-based feel much of the time. The "civs" (clans) are very unique, with each one mixing up the formula in some very distinct ways, with multiple victory paths and different abilities for each clan that will tend to favor one over another. I'm really starting to like this game and it's becoming a major time-sink.

Self-Ejected

Hafnar the Jester

Self-Ejected
Outer Worlds - The charming retro sci-fi vibes are best consumed with copious amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol.

Except Outer Worlds is anything but retro. It tries to critisize modern corporationism while being a direct product of it. It's "modern-day" through and through. Just because some of its visuals are made in the style of 1920's, its "soul" still lies in the modern woke "culture"

Jason Liang

Arcane
2015 - Invisible Inc (can't believe this has already been out for over 6 years)
2016 - American Truck Simulator
2016 - Darkest Dungeon
2017 - Lords of Waterdeep
2018 - Rance X
2018 - Battletech
2020 - Final Fantasy VII Remake
2020 - Dohna Dohna (flawed but it's growing on me)

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head

The Banner Saga 2 and 3 were pretty good if you're into SRPGs and visual novels. Gorgeous artstyle. Compact story that doesn't waste your time and is surprisingly better written than I had expected. The trilogy does not climax in a final boss battle against a god monster. Building your characters and figuring out the battles was fun. Only complaint is that the trilogy got easier and easier as it went on, and sadly the final fight of the first game got nerfed in a patch. Beating TBS1 and seeing the ending felt pretty satisfying. I am interested to see what the devs do next.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy. Surprisingly good. From Steam Reviews :

"Very simple controls. Only uses the mouse, alt and F4."

"The only game on Steam that's worthy of being tagged "Psychological Horror""

"Playing this game is easy. It's like riding a bike...
Except the bike is on fire and you're on fire and everything is on fire and then you're back to the beginning.
10/10"

I wish there were more games like this. Maybe one day I'll take up Quake III Defrag, seems similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom