Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Forbidden West - sequel to Hoizon Zero Dawn - coming to PC on March 21st

RIT_SKUA

Literate
the writing wasn't boring. Until Andromeda
Mass Effect 3 was trash too.
It's a generic open-worlder.
Just because a game copies features from others of its kind doesn't make it generic. Is every DnD cRPG "generic" because they rely on recognizable settings/characters/lore, rulesets, and gameplay structures? HZD is a good game because it takes a solid foundation and adds in its own twists, ultimately resulting in a generally fun experience. Just because it isn't perfect does not make it mediocre.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
You thought the reveal of "megacorp made a mistake in code and all machines go rogue" good? I get that the game is sorta old now and back then the discussions surrounding AI weren't as advanced as today, but still that's so lazy IMO. You're literally shooting their flagship GigaDestroyer with ARROWS in some cooling tanks and it dies. Not to mention how ineffective the designs of such weaponry would be compared to simple drones. The plot is very contrived. I don't see how this game deserves to stand beside Ghost of Tsushima or God of War.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
the writing wasn't boring. Until Andromeda
Mass Effect 3 was trash too.
It's a generic open-worlder.
Just because a game copies features from others of its kind doesn't make it generic. Is every DnD cRPG "generic" because they rely on recognizable settings/characters/lore, rulesets, and gameplay structures? HZD is a good game because it takes a solid foundation and adds in its own twists, ultimately resulting in a generally fun experience. Just because it isn't perfect does not make it mediocre.

ME3 was bad, but it wasn't boring. It still featured a cast of memorable characters and the stakes were clear. It made me care about the ending. Which is why the ending was such a fart in ME3.
This game has nothing for me to care about.
The setting seems fresh at first, but only on the surface level. The monster design clearly came first and the story writers had to then come up with an explanation for it. The excuse for your enemy visual design can't be your big mystery. There is nothing at stake for finding out how the world ended.
The main protagonist is a cunt. Aloy can do anything and everything from the get go and doesn't need any help from anyone. She also has the power of the HUD. Her constant "talking to herself" is grating. She regurgitates plot points like in a bad anime.
The population of this world is all cunts. They are all helpless idiots, who are tribes people with very regressive ideologies. Why should I care about some superstitious folk and what happens to them? They are essentially Vikings without the cool myths.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
HZD surprised me. I bought it because I felt like shutting down my brain and playing a semi-decent story. Turns out the story was boring as hell.

Surprisingly, the gameplay on the hardest difficulty was fantastic, however. Brain no sleepy after all.

RIT_SKUA

Literate
It still featured a cast of memorable characters and the stakes were clear. It made me care about the ending
Only because you were already invested from the first two games. Everything about the third (except maybe combat?) was inferior to the former two, so much so that it actually made those former two worse just by its association.
There is nothing at stake for finding out how the world ended.
The stakes are that machines are going berserk, getting stronger and more hostile, and thus human civilization is becoming less stable and secure. I found it interesting enough as a premise to stick with it, even if it doesn't completely stick the landing.
The main protagonist is a cunt. Aloy can do anything and everything from the get go and doesn't need any help from anyone.
Disagree. You receive significant amounts of training + arcane technology to bolster your fighting capabilities, and yet still have to rely primarily on stealth and ambushes in order to get through bigger fights, especially on the higher difficulties where the enemy weaknesses become increasingly more important and resources become more scarce.
Her constant "talking to herself" is grating.
I liked it.
The population of this world is all cunts. They are all helpless idiots, who are tribes people with very regressive ideologies. Why should I care about some superstitious folk and what happens to them? They are essentially Vikings without the cool myths.
You mean just like IRL? There are many, many helpless, ignorant, superstitious people with regressive ideologies in the real world but they shouldn't be condemned to suffer just because of that.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Disagree. You receive significant amounts of training + arcane technology to bolster your fighting capabilities, and yet still have to rely primarily on stealth and ambushes in order to get through bigger fights, especially on the higher difficulties where the enemy weaknesses become increasingly more important and resources become more scarce.
Aloy ACES the initiation. Despite being trained by a hobo. Her contemporaries presumably had access to actual master-at-arms and proper equipment. Not only does she win, she also single-handedly murders an entire cultist party. Who have machine guns. Who ambush you. This bitch is Rey from Star Wars, but on steroids. Her having the power of HUD doesn't make her a better character. It is undeserved power.

You could have actually had something interesting here. Have her accomplish all of these great feats, but with her fully realizing her unfair advantage and being caught in a perpetual lie about her being a fake hero. Someone who starts out as a complete cheat, but when pushed by the people into a position of a hero actually has to don the mantle of responsibility. This shit practically writes itself and would have made for a genuinely heroic character.

I liked it.
That doesn't make it a good narrative tool. (It makes you a cuck though)

You mean just like IRL? There are many, many helpless, ignorant, superstitious people with regressive ideologies in the real world but they shouldn't be condemned to suffer just because of that.
Lmao. Let me guess, you were born and raised in the West, right? I don't have the White Saviour Complex. When I see a savage, I don't presume it to be noble. Any fictional people must produce at least one noble quality for me to care about them, especially if the story demands me helping them.

I think I am starting to understand why so many people praised this game as something above the other popamole of the time. It combines many of the cuck fantasies:
- you're a woman
- you're an outcast
- but you're still better than everyone
- you're saving everybody
- everyone is a dick towards you, even though you're on the right side of history
- you're fighting and killing dangerous creatures, but they aren't actual life forms
- you get to help out black people

I'm willing to accept that I am too much of a cynic and/or racist to have given this game a fair chance, so if you can name me some genuine qualities of Aloy or the tribesmen, I'll gladly hear them out.

Harthwain

Magister
Aloy ACES the initiation. Despite being trained by a hobo.
He's not a hobo. He's literally the best warrior of the tribe (or close enough). And she was trained since she was a small child. Now, should she be acing the initiation? Probably not, but Aloy is the proxy of the player and the player always has to be the best, so...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I remember a discussion somewhere about whether Aloy is a Mary Sue.

The top comment was how Mary Sues are a misogynistic concept.

:deathclaw:

Probably reddit IIRC.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Any criticism being waved away as misogynistic would also explain the seemingly positive reception surrounding this game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I think I would put Horizons in the [decent+] category of modern games. Not the best of PS exclusives.

Gameplay is fun, mecha-dinos are cool, writing/story is poor (except for some notable exceptions), worldbuilding is lol wut, and graphics are good.

Aloy is about as interesting/bland as any other adventure game protagonist, but not utterly hatable like some.

A good game to kill some time.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

RIT_SKUA

Literate
Aloy ACES the initiation. Despite being trained by a hobo
Because she literally has all of her training (Rost is a former Nora Brave - aka a soldier) plus the advantages of a piece of tech that lets her see enemy weaknesses which allow her to take down machines much more easily than other hunters who lack this focal piece of equipment? Did you even play the opening chapters? The kid you save at the start when Aloy's a kid is shocked that you're able to easily avoid the machines, which she is able to do because she can see their movement patterns through the piece of tech that she finds. It is not undeserved.
she also single-handedly murders an entire cultist party
There's like one dude with a machine gun and everyone else has bows. It's not an impossible feat. Also, did you miss the part where she was thrown off a cliff and almost killed?
(It makes you a cuck though)
I'm a cuck because I like listening to my character speak about the world. Right.
you were born and raised in the West, right? I don't have the White Saviour Complex. When I see a savage, I don't presume it to be noble.
Yes, I'm American. No, I'm not "white" (no such thing as race, though). Ignorant/backwards people aren't "savages" just because we're more advanced than they are. I also never said that those from less developed, highly superstitious societies are inherently "noble" (which would apply to countries like China too) - I simply said they don't deserve to suffer just because of where and to whom they were born; factors that they had no control over.
It combines many of the cuck fantasies:
"Cuck cuck cuck cuck" Yes everyone who disagrees with you is a cuck simply for enjoying a video game. By inserting this disc into my PS4 and not immediately being disgusted with it I am now literally a soyboy. Dipshit.

Last edited:

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
Because she literally has all of her training (Rost is a former Nora Brave - aka a soldier) plus the advantages of a piece of tech that lets her see enemy weaknesses which allow her to take down machines much more easily than other hunters who lack this focal piece of equipment? Did you even play the opening chapters? The kid you save at the start when Aloy's a kid is shocked that you're able to easily avoid the machines, which she is able to do because she can see their movement patterns through the piece of tech that she finds. It is not undeserved.
None of the stealth is necessary for the Initiation. When was the last time you played this game? What is stopping ALL of the warriors from the tribe teaching the non-exile kids? Like, one of the faggy kids even cheats against Aloy, yet she still prevails. If you think that this is good writing or is conducive to the player liking Aloy for some reason, then I am at a loss.

Also, did you miss the part where she was thrown off a cliff and almost killed?
And yet she still prevails. She's already a complete powerhouse at the very beginning of the game for no reason. This deflates any possibility of a character arc. You can say that you like all-powerful women, but that doesn't make the character writing good. It's just lazy.

I'm a cuck because I like listening to my character speak about the world. Right.
You're a cuck because you like listening to your character regurgitate plot points like the player is 5 years old.

Yes, I'm American.
I rest my case, your Honour. I'm not gonna get into politics with you, I just wanna say that so far your statements are nothing but cliché.

"Cuck cuck cuck cuck" Yes everyone who disagrees with you is a cuck simply for enjoying a video game. By inserting this disc into my PS4 and not immediately being disgusted with it I am now literally a soyboy. Dipshit.
You're a cuck because your arguement so far have been "Disagree. I actually quite liked it. I think there is nothing wrong with it and it's the opposite of what you claim" without any substance to back your opinion up. I'm still waiting for you to produce even one quality this open-worlder has over any other.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Probably its being so generic is in large part why it was so successful. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It is aimed at console players. Console players just want to sit down for 2 hours in the evening and mindlessly grind numbers/POIs/whatever. That's why Skyrim is successful, that's why Ubisoft sandboxes are successful. Quality doesn't matter. It's Cookie Clicker for people who think they're gamers.

DemonKing

Arcane
For an open world game HZD was actually pretty decent compared to the AC games that stay long past their welcome. You could actually finish it within a reasonable time frame even if you were time poor and the gameplay wasn't completely without merit and story fine for what it is.

The thing I hated the most was the day/night cycle because it was almost impossible to see anything at night. Realistic maybe but I hope they dump it or improve it for the sequel.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I had no issues at night. The enemies especially are very easy to spot in the dark due to their headlights.

I remember AC having way superior facial mocap during Black Flag, but maybe that went the decline route at some point.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So far the only thing I dislike about the gameplay is that they made her fat and even uglier for some reason. The fuck is wrong with this people and their hatred of pretty women.

Sacibengala

Prophet
I stopped playing the first one after the ginger engaged in a discussion with a random priest about the gender of God while she should be saving the world or something. I'll never touch this series again.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I remember AC having way superior facial mocap during Black Flag, but maybe that went the decline route at some point.

HZD cheaped out on the facial animations in the base game, though they put the money into them in the DLC.

Gargaune

Magister
Hoping for some good drama. There's been a leak of the PS4 full version: https://twitter.com/JoeMiller101/status/1480866908626993155
I'm sorry, I just can't unsee it.

FI0YmYeWUAEZ2Bu
b9187a3465a8c938f594f4a981ad41f9--le-baron-dune.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom