Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem standalone expansion

Silentstorm

Learned
I recall the first few games being enjoyable, even Serious Sam 2 despite some flaws, but Serious Sam 3 and 4 just passed me by, i guess because by look alone they felt like they were trying too hard at being serious and cool when i thought the franchise needs to be silly, just on a smaller scale than Serious Sam 2.

Going through Egypt and time travelling and then across various planets and shooting tons of stuff were perfect ideas, hearing about a prequel set in a modern world was the equivalent of telling me the franchise would be going to a more serious phase which...meh, there are other arena shooters out there, why they would bother going for more generic settings was beyond me.

If Serious Sam 5 goes back to time travel stuff, i won't care even if Egypt doesn't play a part, i just want to wreck history with modern weaponry, or going through really different places albeit with better humor than Serious Sam 2.

Ash_Williams

Novice
I was quite disappointed with the direction they went with SS3 and SS4. So i hope that this one is similar to First or Second Encounter as mentioned by other users here. As hype as i am for another Serious Sam, i will keep a critical mindset when i see the trailer. My hope is that the places Sam goes are famous historical locations or time periods. Ones we have not seen before like feudal Japan or colonial America. I assume that would be the case for the setting of the game, since we saw him going back in time in the third game. And they would continue from there. Unless they plan on remaking First And Second Encounter with this new game.

JDR13

Arcane
I recall the first few games being enjoyable, even Serious Sam 2 despite some flaws, but Serious Sam 3 and 4 just passed me by, i guess because by look alone they felt like they were trying too hard at being serious and cool when i thought the franchise needs to be silly, just on a smaller scale than Serious Sam 2.

Haven't tried SS4 yet, but I thought SS3 was way better than 2.

SS2 was too over-the-top silly, and the enemy design was just dumb.

Kainan

Learned
Croteam was supossed to make a CoD type game set in Iraq but that fell trough so they combined some of it with Serious Sam for SS3.

Ivan

Arcane
Yes, made clear by the horrible opening, and prob also the super SERIOUS tone it had compared to the goofier/slapstick featured in S4 (rip Kenny)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
... you actually think sam4 is goofier/slapstick, and of all things you cite the kenny death scene as an example of that?!

Silentstorm

Learned
It looks fine...it's funny, years ago this would look better but arena shooters are much more common nowadays and they insist on sticking with current era-ish, at least it's Russia and there is snow...but it's still not the same as time travel or other planets.

Why do they keep ignoring the most unique aspect of the series, because one guy versus tons of enemies isn't anything new, and the first Serious Sam games are still around with cooler levels, or, you know, Doom(2016) and others, at this point, if they come back to time travel, i will expect just WW2 stuff that will feel like a COD or Wolfenstein game entirely, albeit with a pirate cannon which is awesome...but still not what i want.

Ivan

Arcane
... you actually think sam4 is goofier/slapstick, and of all things you cite the kenny death scene as an example of that?!
it's why we remember him. as the butt of everyone's jokes, it made it so much richer when he...:salute:

wonder if this will hit GP soon after/upon release

Wunderbar

Arcane
Siberian Mayhem is very important in another way. This game was designed, and its development has been led by some of the most talented members of the Serious Sam modding community, joined together under the banner of Timelock Studio. The team consists of well-respected names including DedKadath, Asdolg, YaNexus, UrbanDeHuman, FreekNik, MintFritter, NSKuber, and Ar2R-devil-PiNKy, who worked closely together with Croteam to deliver absolute Mayhem, and we can’t wait for everyone to experience it.
So this expansion is being developed by a team of modmakers from Russia.

UrbanDeHuman

Deadkadath

YANexus

NSKuber

AR2R-devil-Pinky

Ii saw rumours that if this project pans out, Croteam and Devolver may hire Timelock to develop Serious Sam 2 remake/reboot.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I think these are the guys that were doing a Russian-themed mod/semi-TC. Saw a video on YouTube, was pretty badass. The level design was certainly better than Croteam's recent efforts.

EDIT: Wunderbar thanks, that proves it. It was a Skyfall video that I saw.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom