Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Vanitas_

Barely Literate
I find it to be quite sad how the series has fallen. I remember picking up DA:O and having a blast with it, back when I was stuck on consoles. The world was amazing to me, and there was always small little changes each playthrough.
Inquisition on the other hand... It's one of those games I love to hate. I'm not looking forward to the next in the series: based on the current track record, it's set to be worse than DA:I and that's simply unfathomable.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
i find it amusing that the Elder scrolls is literally just a bunch of conflicting nonsense written by authors with biases on purpose and everyone goes "yay! deep lore!" and Dragon age does the exact same thing and people scream that the lore is being "raped" or whatever. ya'll dont know what you want
Elder Scrolls lore is also, frankly, just much more original and idiosyncratic. Most fantasy worlds pull from a pretty narrow set of influences, and tend to have races act as stand ins for real life cultures. Or just be a generic synthesis of many similar cultures. I'm sure there are similarities between the Dunmer culture and irl ones but at no point in Morrowind did I feel like I was experiencing a reskin of something from real life. Whereas in Dragon Age we have shit like humans oppressing elves as a metaphor for racism, and elves as a representative of native Americans, and magic lobotomies for dangerous mages, and magical conversion therapy, and what is basically the Catholic church. Elder Scrolls is pretty much always a believable world, because it isn't some sort of allegory for real life, and it's referential aspects are referential towards much more obscure material or itself.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
i find it amusing that the Elder scrolls is literally just a bunch of conflicting nonsense written by authors with biases on purpose and everyone goes "yay! deep lore!" and Dragon age does the exact same thing and people scream that the lore is being "raped" or whatever. ya'll dont know what you want
But that's simply not the case: at least not anymore. Yes, DA lore was constructed in a way not too different from the way TES lore is structured. Your (players) knowledge of the world must be a form of interpretation of conflicting narratives – because they’re all there is, save for a very selected range of events with which you directly interact with. Even is the latter cases though TES games used to be very careful to maintain this dubiousness surrounding what’s going on, Morrowind is the classic and best example: we do not really know what exactly happened in this game. Was the prophecy genuine or was it simply a manipulation (by Azura, Vivec, the emperor, what gives)? What really happened at the Red Mountain (a background drama which is in fact the true plot of Morrowind, you have to dig quite deep to get that though)? What’s the Heart, what’s the nature of Ur’s existence and his true goals? We will never know definite answers to these questions even though we sort of interact with these events and these people. TES games are – or, precisely, used to be – written in this way on purpose. You almost never get ‘the truth’ – you are served ‘someone’s truth’ and that’s a world of difference.

Now, DA used to be similar. DA:O has a lot of lore which is pure speculation and where you can clearly see blatant lines where propaganda of different sides intersect and fight eachother. And on top of that there are some questions which are clearly written not to have definite answers to. Who’s/what’s the Maker? What’s the Black City? What’s the deal with the darkspawn? There’s a lot of that and yes, it gives this setting quality. It enables speculation, it creates a space for creative vagueness.

Dropping of this narrative strategy is where TES and DA differ fundamentally. DA, starting from DA2 and going full on with this in DA:I, just started to straightforwardly explain the setting in most mundane, cliché and worn out way imaginable. All that is mysterious and esoteric is just normal stuff but it’s old and forgotten – that’s certified boredom, it’s the most tedious of possible narrative strategies. It’s plainly speaking not interesting. And people complain about this because series started in a different place. Better place.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
It's simple. Really simple. People left working at Bioware can't even change language on their keyboard let alone write competent and good lore. You are expecting quantum physics from chickens

This is literally Creative Director for Bioware:
:bioware:

are we talking about the generic parts that are canon, the fun parts that were retconned out of existence, or the blogposts we like to pretend matter
Delterius anon! Good strong friend anon! Bestest Elder Scrolls is Kirkbride anon schizokino anon! It is true anon! It is! Do not worry anon it is okay anon because other lore is generic fantasy popamole nonsense anon! It is true anon! It is! You should watch the sky anon! You should! You are a good strong friend anon!

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Elder Scrolls has consistency in it's tone and atmosphere. Inconsistency in lore is excused by making sources of information within the game unreliable or biased.

Dragon Age went from 'serious dark fantasy' to 'wacky adventures of castle "queer".
Lore in DA is usually given by some old cunts who were there when the events have happened or some nerds with reliable proofs. The excuse of unreliable source does not work here.

How's that Cyrodillian jungle in oblivion doing for you? Oh right, they changed that. Liked seeing all those roman imperials in TES III and V, and not in any other game. Loving all those other references to CHIM in the series that definitely aren't just MKult fan fiction and wishful thinking. What is this bullshit about tone and atmosphere? People have been whining nonstop about consistency whiplash in the TES games for years now. Most of the same style of jokes in Origins exists in Inquisition, you just like to think that party members quipping to each other but also some of them are gay now makes it a wholly different experience.

Elder Scrolls lore is also, frankly, just much more original and idiosyncratic. Most fantasy worlds pull from a pretty narrow set of influences, and tend to have races act as stand ins for real life cultures. Or just be a generic synthesis of many similar cultures. I'm sure there are similarities between the Dunmer culture and irl ones but at no point in Morrowind did I feel like I was experiencing a reskin of something from real life. Whereas in Dragon Age we have shit like humans oppressing elves as a metaphor for racism, and elves as a representative of native Americans, and magic lobotomies for dangerous mages, and magical conversion therapy, and what is basically the Catholic church. Elder Scrolls is pretty much always a believable world, because it isn't some sort of allegory for real life, and it's referential aspects are referential towards much more obscure material or itself.

Jesus christ, you guys are really that impressed by basic Gnostic concepts being adapted into fantasy, you guys are the fantasy fandom's equivalent of cubicle boomers putting Dilbert comics on their cubicle walls because "look! funny comic! boss say not smart thing!!!" lol literally read any non-mainstream fantasy, message me for a list of non-shit, non-generic fantasy works.

But that's simply not the case: at least not anymore. Yes, DA lore was constructed in a way not too different from the way TES lore is structured. Your (players) knowledge of the world must be a form of interpretation of conflicting narratives – because they’re all there is, save for a very selected range of events with which you directly interact with. Even is the latter cases though TES games used to be very careful to maintain this dubiousness surrounding what’s going on, Morrowind is the classic and best example: we do not really know what exactly happened in this game. Was the prophecy genuine or was it simply a manipulation (by Azura, Vivec, the emperor, what gives)? What really happened at the Red Mountain (a background drama which is in fact the true plot of Morrowind, you have to dig quite deep to get that though)? What’s the Heart, what’s the nature of Ur’s existence and his true goals? We will never know definite answers to these questions even though we sort of interact with these events and these people. TES games are – or, precisely, used to be – written in this way on purpose. You almost never get ‘the truth’ – you are served ‘someone’s truth’ and that’s a world of difference.

Bro it's literally just Ralph McQuarrie and Jim Froud art mixed with Runequest, you are massively, massively over-emphasizing the value morrowind brings to the table. This claim that "TES games are - or used to be" this way means nothing, it was literally just Morrowind that rolled with that shit. I've actually beaten TES I and II along with the rest of the series, even managed to play through Redguard and Battlespire - Morrowind is LITERALLY the only game written with any vagueness at all, and its not nearly as vague as your dumb ass would like to think it is. Every single Bethesda game is a relatively light-hearted adventure with a fairly generic 'save the world' plot. TESII is a bit more intrigue based (and honestly features way more intrigue than the consolized trash story morrowind has (we will pretend u prophecy. wait, u am prophecy!!!!) but TES I, IV and V, so the majority of the mainline series is "there is a crisis. you must do the thing to end the crisis."

It really must be said this is such a trash medium, if a basic as hell story like Morrowind's can be held up as a pinnacle of story telling by the morons of the Codex. The Legend of Zelda literally does the exact same story (but with good mechanics) with every single iteration? lololol

Now, DA used to be similar. DA:O has a lot of lore which is pure speculation and where you can clearly see blatant lines where propaganda of different sides intersect and fight eachother. And on top of that there are some questions which are clearly written not to have definite answers to. Who’s/what’s the Maker? What’s the Black City? What’s the deal with the darkspawn? There’s a lot of that and yes, it gives this setting quality. It enables speculation, it creates a space for creative vagueness.

Dropping of this narrative strategy is where TES and DA differ fundamentally. DA, starting from DA2 and going full on with this in DA:I, just started to straightforwardly explain the setting in most mundane, cliché and worn out way imaginable. All that is mysterious and esoteric is just normal stuff but it’s old and forgotten – that’s certified boredom, it’s the most tedious of possible narrative strategies. It’s plainly speaking not interesting. And people complain about this because series started in a different place. Better place.

Oh, they're explaining everything? Okay, what are the Darkspawn? Where did they come from?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
you guys are really that impressed by basic Gnostic concepts being adapted into fantasy
you do know the average rpg is just forgotten realms right

bro was this you? lol
BvNxd6f.jpg

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The human-populated portions of Tamriel are pulp fantasy, with each province based on a real-world historical culture, but this type of setting is vastly preferable to the generic pseudo-medieval monoculture type of setting best exemplified by the Forgotten Realms. Moreover, TES III: Morrowind was quite imaginative with a more or less sui generis culture for the dunmer, departing from the pulp fantasy schema, and there are many other creative elements to the Elder Scrolls lore, especially pertaining to the remaining non-human provinces and peoples. Unfortunately, Bethesda since Morrowind has been risk-averse, and the best that can be hoped from them is a somewhat competent pulp fantasy setting, as in the pseudo-vikings of TES V: Skyrim, which was an improvement from the exceptionally bland version of Cyrodiil appearing in TES IV: Oblivion. I've been expecting Bethesda to return to some combination of High Rock and Hammerfell for TES VI, simply because they now lack the imagination and impetus to utilize any non-human province, and those two human provinces haven't appeared since TES II: Daggerfall. :M

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
with a fairly generic 'save the world' plot.
"So you just want to save the world?"
Yes.
"You don't want to play our new module and be a gay tranny serving drinks at a bar?"
No.
This is literally not even related to our discussion of TES and DA lore. Please go to the appropriate thread.

The human-populated portions of Tamriel are pulp fantasy, with each province based on a real-world historical culture, but this type of setting is vastly preferable to the generic pseudo-medieval monoculture type of setting best exemplified by the Forgotten Realms. Moreover, TES III: Morrowind was quite imaginative with a more or less sui generis culture for the dunmer, departing from the pulp fantasy schema, and there are many other creative elements to the Elder Scrolls lore, especially pertaining to the remaining non-human provinces and peoples. Unfortunately, Bethesda since Morrowind has been risk-averse, and the best that can be hoped from them is a somewhat competent pulp fantasy setting, as in the pseudo-vikings of TES V: Skyrim, which was an improvement from the exceptionally bland version of Cyrodiil appearing in TES IV: Oblivion. I've been expecting Bethesda to return to some combination of High Rock and Hammerfell for TES VI, simply because they now lack the imagination and impetus to utilize any non-human province, and those two human provinces haven't appeared since TES II: Daggerfall. :M

Morrowind:
ninjas
"cartels"
straw hats
ralph macquarrie art
jim froud art
rice farms

wow! so unique! I am literally nutting directly onto my keyboard! It's just shit ripped directly from runequest, one of the most generic games ever MADE bro

with a fairly generic 'save the world' plot.
"So you just want to save the world?"
Yes.
"You don't want to play our new module and be a gay tranny serving drinks at a bar?"
No.
This is literally not even related to our discussion of TES and DA lore. Please go to the appropriate thread.
No! You did make part of discussion when you did criticise save world plot! You did!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom