Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
As usual I am playing indie games. Sometimes they show so much promise only to fall flat on their face and it's hard to tell what the reason behind it is. Anemoiapolis is an upcoming indie game that attempts to coast on the now slightly aged idea of liminal spaces that got popular in obscure internet communities and then started going big for a while. The game isn't finished yet but you can pay a small sum of 6 USD to get access to the beta and full game when it comes out. The premise and initial presentation blew me away, it was very well done for a budget game made by one person and the level designed managed to capture the look it was going for. Alpha Beta Gamer has posted a playthrough so you can get an idea of what the game is about.

The problem shows itself halfway into the experience however and it doesn't go away. The idea of a liminal space is that it is in between and since there is little established beyond the mood of the in between, places that are in between being used and being abandoned, places you move through and often with other people and almost never find yourself alone in, unfinished spaces. That means that the developer has to come up a lot on their own because it is needed to go beyond the creepy but nostalgic photo phase. Anemoiapolis goes down the old and tired route of being spooky. There is a shadow of a man floating around and that is occasionally chasing the player. I can't think of anything more creatively bankrupt than this and it hurts since the rest of the game is so good.

There was another indie game about the same setup released last year called Liminal Ranger. The premise is similar also, only instead of you disappearing into the transitional liminal space it is your friend that does. To get him back you have to straighten out abandoned places, avoid back moods and remind them why they exist. The aesthetic of the game is completely off compared to the material that got the liminal trend going, but the narrative suits the theme better. Instead of a spooky scary ghost man chasing you and surprising you in ways that got old in F.E.A.R. after the first few levels. In Liminal Ranger you avoid bad vibes with a pogo stick and a teleporting coin on a mission to remind a run down hotel room of that time it gave someone comfort. It might not bring back chlorine filled memories while going down lazy river in high fidelity and slightly glitchy graphics but it is far more human. The shadows in Ranger are neither ironic nor use old cliches like the disappearing act to appear menacing, instead they pull on a much more potent string, they are lost and in despair. Just like you would expect an abandoned mall to be.

Liminal Ranger is free on itch, if anyone wants to check it out. Anemoiapolis might lack a soul, but the creator has talent, it's available for purchase on itch and you can wishlist it on steam.

I never understood why liminal spaces are always associated with swimming pools.

deem

Savant
Probably because ceramic tiles are evocative of hospitals and train stations.

The-Matrix-Revolutions-Mobil-Ave-Limbo.png

Gibson

Learned
Urtuk the Desolation

It's really hitting the spot atm.

this game was fun and will be replayed at least 2 more times i think.

concerning mindless bashing: what is the recommendation of this prestigious forum for a good diablo-clone? Will be getting a knee surgery tomorrow which means I will probably be eating painmeds like M&Ms for the first week at least: that's why some mindless bashing of the buttons is required. Since I will be lying on the sofa, it would be nice if the game plays with a controller so I was thinking of playing Grim Dawn.
If there's a much better game than Grim Dawn out there but can be played only with KB/M I'll go and buy me a cheap set.
thank you.

Krivol

Magister
I bought Horizon Zero Dawn on sale... After 15 minutes (well, 30 actually, but you have to get through 15 minutes of meaningless cut-scenes at the beginning) I asked myself why I am not playing Elex...

I mean it has potential - a post-apocalyptic world with machines to kill and mystery after world end. But it's pretentious, boring and repetitive, it's like another Far Cry but with TPP and not FPP.

Is it going to be better later? One good thing about HZD is that I really want to re-install Elex and explore a well-developed post-apocalyptic world.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Urtuk the Desolation

It's really hitting the spot atm.

this game was fun and will be replayed at least 2 more times i think.

concerning mindless bashing: what is the recommendation of this prestigious forum for a good diablo-clone? Will be getting a knee surgery tomorrow which means I will probably be eating painmeds like M&Ms for the first week at least: that's why some mindless bashing of the buttons is required. Since I will be lying on the sofa, it would be nice if the game plays with a controller so I was thinking of playing Grim Dawn.
If there's a much better game than Grim Dawn out there but can be played only with KB/M I'll go and buy me a cheap set.
thank you.
Play Yakuza

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Is it going to be better later?
That depends. What are you hoping improves?

That pattern - go kill 200 robots, build better sack, go kill 20 robots, 10 boars, 15 birds, etc, craft better pelt, do some 'go-there-kill-big-ugly-go-back' quest, kill 200 robots, etc - would change and the game would be more interesting.
There are certainly many missions in which you're fighting and hunting robots. There are also missions that require climbing large structures and sneaking past dangerous enemies. Most of the "hunting" missions are optional. For crafting, yes, you'll need to hunt small animals, at first, to get equipment. As you progress and get stronger, that won't be the case. Most of the stronger weapons need components from stronger enemies.

Give it a few more hours. At least get out of the tutorial phase and explore the world a bit before giving up.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
My resolution this year is to play more Olde Classics that my travel-top can actually run, starting with Arcanum. Currently reading the manual for flavor and posterity.

I also picked up Jagged Alliance 2 from GoG last month, heard that's better than the Steam version; will likely get into that afterwards. Anyone know if that Lobot Mod got integrated into the current 1.13 Fanpatch or is it a separate install? Looked really nice.

Erebus

Arcane
Finished The Sundew. The visuals of the game are nice, its cyberpunk setting is cool and the characters are reasonably interesting.

The main problem is that it's ridiculously short : it takes less than 4 hours and a half to reach the ending (and you can easily do it in less than 4 hours if you suck less than I do when it comes to adventure games). The first half of the game is correctly paced, but the rest is extremely rushed and many things are left underdeveloped.

Ivan

Arcane
GamePass reminds me a lot of Blockbuster, you never know what you're gonna find. Today's game is Olija This is more of a first impression (though I think I'll be finished with the game in just another plays-session or 2).

Olija is a beautifully detailed AND animated pixel-art sidescrolling adventure. I almost rolled my eyes when I learned it was pixel-art, but what assuaged me was how beautifully done the animation is. The movements are so exaggerated that it lends a lot of character to the game. Also, the environments are richly detailed, punctuated by animated ambient elements such as flags or grass. The environments also feature a generous amount of destroyable objects and ambient props. The sound design is excellent, there's a lot of quiet time here so the audio gets to shine as you traverse the environments and deal with your foes. Combat feels snappy and combo heavy, think Guacamelee or Shank. You have two different melee attacks (function the same really) and once you land a fourth consecutive hit you have the opportunity to land a unique powered attack. Each weapon has a thurst move as well, so you can have some mild find mixing your moves. I really do hope the game introduces enemies that necessitate specific inputs, otherwise the combat is definitely going to remain the weakest aspect of the game.

Platforming: the game's biggest hook is the harpoon weapon. It functions both as a melee weapon and as a projectile that can be thrown. The unique mechanic here is that if it lands on an enemy or an environmental prop, you can teleport to it instantly. This is what makes the combat feel MUCH better than it would otherwise if the game just had you close the gaps to your enemies in a more traditional sense. There's some cool visual flair as you zig and zig through the combat engagements. I hope the game amps up the difficulty with the platforming using this mechanic later on (and again, enemies that necessitate its use in strategic ways).

The only boss I've faced thus far didn't necessitate it, but did encourage its use as it hovers high up in the air, giving you the opportunity zip to it and do some damage before it comes down.

Thus far, I've gotta say I'm glad I have this a spin. It's better than I anticipated and definitely see myself seeing it through to the end (which I hear won't take long as I've heard some folks wrap up the entire game in ~4hours).

nerdy details:
-pretty pixel art, great effects, the moving fog, the leaves in the wind
-like that the harpoon stays locked in its place even when you transition to a different "room"
-wonderfully detailed environments and destructible props really sell the environment
-some odd collission bugs where you need to jump over some floors (no biggie, but seems like a minor oversight)
-gameplay things that feel off or affect pacing:
slow climbing (though not too present in the game)
the intro to stages feels laborious and slow as you slowly dock your boat to each level
-combat feels and looks stylish, thanks to the zip mechanic
-groundpound feels great
-the game uses punctuated pauses to sell powerful strikes (groundpound feels great, as do charged attacks)
-YES! You can harpoon walls for climbing, sadly it's very scripted, like the rope arrows in Thief 4. Sucks, b/c I was so excited to see this feature as I loved it in Volgarr the Viking

TLDR: :4/5: knows what it wants to do, does it well while looking and sounding great, not much fat here at all

Puukko

Arcane
First completed game of the year: Project Wingman. This is a Kickstarter backed Ace Combat fan game and hella impressive for a small indie team. It's set in an alternate universe US that appears relatively grounded at first until some definite scifi elements kick in (railguns on fighter jets, ha ha!) and you've got a merc fighter pilot gang that have fun dialogue during missions, on top of radio chatter from both sides that gives personality to even the unnamed enemy mooks. You get comprehensive briefings before each mission but you never really know how it's going to turn out. This game does an excellent job at building hype and tense moments during missions and they sometimes takes a complete 180 or just go off the rails.

Trying out different planes and weapons is fun and there's lots of variety there. They have big differences in speed, maneuverability and available weapons yet you have to try and pick the best one for the mission. Towards the end you get access to expensive prototype planes and I only got to try out one and it was really liberating to have a plane that was almost free of compromises compared to what I had used before.

The game's highs and lows can be found in the missions themselves. There are a couple stinkers in there that just aren't very fun. Flying around an empty desert destroying bunkers is lame, and then the next mission is probably the biggest dogfight in history with banger music and chatter where the reputation you've been building is put to the test. The story has the usual beats of an Ace Combat game, you start off with simple enough missions and it's all professional, until eventually it's war crime o'clock and you can't possibly pretend it's just about the money anymore.

Another small complaint is that for a game revolving around planes, the actual texture quality is unfortunately low which is odd to me. I'm sure there's a reason for it (small team and all) but you'll really notice it in the hangar where you see the planes in all their glory.

Overall, highly recommended and definitely fit for someone's first go at arcade dogfighting. It's on Game Pass.

I'll close off with a shot of a typical day in Wingmanlandia:

Wingdk-Screenshot-2022-01-12-18-43-24-44.jpg

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Just revealed to me:

Are these all thst really exist?
Playing perspectives define the role or point of view that the player has on the game. These perspectives include first-person, third-person, top-down, isometric, flat, side-view, and text-based.

But isn't it really third-person still?

Codex Year of the Donut
Just revealed to me:

Are these all thst really exist?
Playing perspectives define the role or point of view that the player has on the game. These perspectives include first-person, third-person, top-down, isometric, flat, side-view, and text-based.

But isn't it really third-person still?

There's a good video on this

Guess it depends on what you consider 'second-person' to be though.
Most impressive thing of the video is how much better the driving AI is than anything you see in cyberpunk though

Ivan

Arcane
Olija finished after 2/3 playsessions. :4/5:

Final thoughts:
Combat doesn't get much better, nor are enemies introduced that necessitate specific inputs, which is a shame. That said, I found the boss fights to be very enjoyable and tuned just right difficulty wise. The game is short and sweet, which is great b/c the game would have gotten stale if it kept up the same combat encounters that don't grow much in complexity. Again, the game is gorgeous, and I loved how the audio effects get to sing and punctuate during the game's quiet times. Music is present, but mostly reserved for cutscenes/story related scenes. I was surprised by a very well romantic plot that happens very organically, kinda reminded me of Secret of Monkey Island. A damn fine indie game worth checking out. Extra points for ending at the right time and having very little fat/ancillary bullshit.

JDR13

Arcane
I bought Horizon Zero Dawn on sale... After 15 minutes (well, 30 actually, but you have to get through 15 minutes of meaningless cut-scenes at the beginning) I asked myself why I am not playing Elex...

I mean it has potential - a post-apocalyptic world with machines to kill and mystery after world end. But it's pretentious, boring and repetitive, it's like another Far Cry but with TPP and not FPP.

Is it going to be better later? One good thing about HZD is that I really want to re-install Elex and explore a well-developed post-apocalyptic world.

HZD is nothing like Far Cry. For one thing, the writing is way better.

The exploration isn't on the same level as something like Elex, but the combat is superior. Overall, I really enjoyed it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I played most of Shadowrun Returns DMS a few days ago (quit after the cemetery) in Russian and I found out that zoneofgames dot ru has Russificators for quite a few of my favorite games--including SF:Dragonfall. It feels like a new game again. Playing Deus Ex is going to be great.

Erebus

Arcane
Just finished Encodya. Pretty enjoyable adventure game. The cyberpunk setting is fairly cool. The fact that you can control two different characters (a 9-year old kid and her guardian robot) is seldom used in a very interesting way when it comes to puzzles, but their interactions and their different ways of looking at things are enjoyable.

I saw the post-credits revelation coming, but that didn't really soften the blow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom