Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - action adventure from Respawn Entertainment

mogwaimon

Magister
the only power level bitching that should be done here is to complain about how
some random ass Oggdo Boggdo is harder to deal with than multiple Sith lords and even Darth Vader

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think the game was a bit over-praised because of the contempt with which other Star Wars product had recently been treated, contrasted with the "good, old-fashioned Star Wars" vibe of the game. It's not a bad game at all, but it's not as good as it was touted to be by many at launch.

Similar syndrome with The Mandalorian. That show is more like what Star Wars fans want and expect, but it was really only an okay show in absolute terms.

mkultra

Augur
yeah it wasn't exactly Clone Wars, which was a way better and more mature series, the best SW we've gotten since ESB..

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
It’s not great, but it’s way better than I would ever expect a AAA Star Wars game released in the modern era to be. Complaining about the power-level progression is pants-on-head-retarded though; it’s one of the few things that the design team completely nailed. If you want to be a super-hero in space The Force Unleashed games still exist.
Well, that's a sad commentary about the state of AAA gaming. I do agree with it, and that's where we are, but for this franchise that is still an unacceptable level for me. Star Wars should be beyond A's, the property is a mint. By all means though, thankfully consume your product.

Regarding pants on head retardation - this is a Jedi that can get killed by overgrown snails and dogs. Can barely jump for half the game, then is able to muster getting 3 feet off the ground - despite nailing some aspects of traversal, they missed making Cal ever "feel" like a Jedi. This doesn't require Starkiller Force-roids.

Completely missed RP opportunity with the wildlife; murdering wildlife > Dark Side evolution. Yes, we know this isn't an RPG, but every previous SW title with Jedi-fiable PC has had to face the Dark Side.

If they "nailed it", what they nailed was a progression system that matched their overall design. Not sure how you could consider it a good progression system tbh, all paths lead to the same place. There is no choice to be a consular/sentinel/guardian, just a completely unlocked palette of same.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
It was a surprisingly fun Star Wars romp, not a master piece, but today's standards are so low, that a good for what it is game that's not offendingly bad, is perceived as relief.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It’s not great, but it’s way better than I would ever expect a AAA Star Wars game released in the modern era to be. Complaining about the power-level progression is pants-on-head-retarded though; it’s one of the few things that the design team completely nailed. If you want to be a super-hero in space The Force Unleashed games still exist.
Well, that's a sad commentary about the state of AAA gaming. I do agree with it, and that's where we are, but for this franchise that is still an unacceptable level for me. Star Wars should be beyond A's, the property is a mint. By all means though, thankfully consume your product.

The property is no more. It's done. You can put a bullet through whatever hopes you had about it.

wahrk

Learned
Regarding pants on head retardation - this is a Jedi that can get killed by overgrown snails and dogs. Can barely jump for half the game, then is able to muster getting 3 feet off the ground - despite nailing some aspects of traversal, they missed making Cal ever "feel" like a Jedi. This doesn't require Starkiller Force-roids.

Jedi aren’t supposed to be superheroes, and Cal is just some kid with a lightsaber that barely got any training. Keeping the action low level was one of the better things the game did.

I would have liked some more build variety too but the most we’ll probably see is expanding lightsaber styles like in Jedi Academy.

ADL

Prophet
Similar syndrome with The Mandalorian. That show is more like what Star Wars fans want and expect, but it was really only an okay show in absolute terms.
I disagree. The Mandalorian for what it is, is very good. It's not trying to be the next Sopranos-tier prestige drama. It's a serialized show about a bounty hunter influenced by old Westerns and it executes that extremely well. You could show it to anyone who hasn't seen anything Star Wars and they'd enjoy it and want to see more Star Wars stuff as a result.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I would have liked some more build variety too but the most we’ll probably see is expanding lightsaber styles like in Jedi Academy.

With certain abilities necessary to progress (or get cosmetic loot) they can only do so much in terms of variety.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I disagree. The Mandalorian for what it is, is very good. It's not trying to be the next Sopranos-tier prestige drama. It's a serialized show about a bounty hunter influenced by old Westerns and it executes that extremely well. You could show it to anyone who hasn't seen anything Star Wars and they'd enjoy it and want to see more Star Wars stuff as a result.

I think what's slightly misleading about The Mandalorian is that it has an incredibly "solid" feel to the visual fx on account of exploiting the Unreal panoramic backdrops so well - IOW, it looks way beyond its budget, it looks like a full-on movie, and it really gives an excellent sense of place, of the lived-in "galaxy far, far away." But I think if you took that glamour away from it, only a few of the episodes were really good and there was a fair amount of filler. Mind you, you could say that about most tv series - they usually stretch things out too much and have too much filler. Most tv shows could be done in about 5 episodes, I think.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
yeah it wasn't exactly Clone Wars, which was a way better and more mature series, the best SW we've gotten since ESB..
Pst the Mandalorian is by (3D) Clone Wars director,Filoni.

(He left Rebels 1/2 through because he got promoted to head of LucasFilms Animations haha)

Edit: What the Mandalorian was missing was Darth Maul aka the Force Unleashed guy. Here he is with the Kurgan. Oh hey, there's Filoni. Filoni has an interesting voice acting method - all on stage, no soundbooths. Gets them interacting with each other while doing it, works pretty well. :

Geek stroke lol..

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://wccftech.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-2-revealed-e3/

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order 2 Will Be Revealed Before E3 2022; Might Release This Year – Rumor
By Francesco De Meo
Jan 7, 2022 06:33 EST

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order 2 is going to be revealed before this year's E3, and it may even be released in 2022, according to rumors circulating online.

Speaking during a recent Giant Bomb livestream, as reported by Nibel on Twitter, Jeff Grubb revealed that the game will be shown in a significant way before this year's E3. Additionally, the game may release in late 2022, but it's more likely that the game will launch next year.

Apex Legends’ “Dark Depths” Event Adds a New Arena Map, Aquatic Skins, and More

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has been one of the most successful games released in 2019, so it is not surprising to hear that a sequel is in the works and releasing relatively soon. We already heard about the game back in February 2020, when an online report suggested that it was already in the works.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is now available on PC, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and Xbox One. Learn more about one of the best Star Wars games released in recent years by checking out my review.

J1M

Arcane

Jedi aren’t supposed to be superheroes, and Cal is just some kid with a lightsaber that barely got any training. Keeping the action low level was one of the better things the game did.

Hot take: build variety is stupid. It means you don't get to experience the full product that that you purchased. It works in a game like Diablo II because you can 'break' progression with respecs or sharing items.

Hot take 2: I would rather unlock 3 weapon upgrades that each double my damage over an entire game than unlock +5% damage at an hourly cadence.

Blood Omen 1 had a superior system for optional abilities. You locate a crypt/temple, complete some challenges, unlock an item that would have helped with those challenges, and use it on your way out in situations that highlight its usefulness.

You could collect all of them, but you didn't have to. There's still "build variety" in the sense that you can't use them all at the same time, but trying out another combination is realistic because it doesn't require hours of replaying the game to try it out.

wahrk

Learned
Hot take: build variety is stupid. It means you don't get to experience the full product that that you purchased.

That’s what a second playthrough is for. But I sort of agree since this isn’t an RPG, it’s an action game with a skill tree. I just wish the lightsaber types were differentiated more as they were in Jedi Academy, where each lightsaber style actually felt different and had it’s own strengths/weaknesses as opposed to being reduced to a kind of special attack.

Something that could also be interesting in a sequel would be to have multiple player characters that all play differently. Maybe let the player swap between Cal and the Nightsister, and she could fill the role of a mage-style character with dark side powers.

Hot take 2: I would rather unlock 3 weapon upgrades that each double my damage over an entire game than unlock +5% damage at an hourly cadence.

I think most people would (has anyone ever argued for minuscule percentile upgrades?) but honestly I’d go a step farther and say I would prefer no basic numbers upgrades like this at all in an action game. Let the abilities do what they do at the outset and have upgrades be all about granting new ones/morphing existing ones.

Blood Omen 1 had a superior system for optional abilities. You locate a crypt/temple, complete some challenges, unlock an item that would have helped with those challenges, and use it on your way out in situations that highlight its usefulness.

I like this idea, I think it would translate well. You’d just have to hit the sweet spot with optional abilities being meaningful but not breaking the game.

J1M

Arcane
For Jedi Order I would imagine said optional unlocks could be the various sabre strikes.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think most people would (has anyone ever argued for minuscule percentile upgrades?) but honestly I’d go a step farther and say I would prefer no basic numbers upgrades like this at all in an action game. Let the abilities do what they do at the outset and have upgrades be all about granting new ones/morphing existing ones.

There's an argument: I hate upgrades that morph your abilities, or where your abilities change drastically in the course of the game. (It seems to be a sin MMOs are particularly fond of. In recent memory I can think of ArchAge and TESO.)

What I want in a game, particularly a twitch-based game, is to be able to find something that feels good that I like doing early on (using a 2H, bow, magic, etc.), then perfect it in muscle memory, and have the later challenges expect you to have attained that finer skill.

JDR13

Arcane
Hope they improve on the first game, but I don't count on it.

They should come up with other incentives than cosmetics to revisit older areas with new skills. That was a bit lame.

This. The loot system (if you can even call it that) in Fallen Order was pathetic.

More items that actually have an impact on gameplay would make exploration more meaningful.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

There's an argument: I hate upgrades that morph your abilities, or where your abilities change drastically in the course of the game. (It seems to be a sin MMOs are particularly fond of. In recent memory I can think of ArchAge and TESO.)

What I want in a game, particularly a twitch-based game, is to be able to find something that feels good that I like doing early on (using a 2H, bow, magic, etc.), then perfect it in muscle memory, and have the later challenges expect you to have attained that finer skill.

I like a combination of passive upgrades to your abilities (such that a fuck up early game can cost you everything, but potentially be forgiven late game due to your improved passive abilities) and new but meaningful abilities.

I do so hate this nu-style approach where you never actually grow in power but just get 50 new "takedowns", most of which insta kill an enemy with a slightly different animation.

wahrk

Learned

That’s fair - I was thinking more of upgrades that add a new wrinkle to an existing ability, like an attack gaining an AOE side effect or something. But I agree.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom